The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2011, 05:53 PM   #1
customaquatics

my mossberg sucks :(

i can soak it in Rem oil but it still gets rust. how do you guys keep that red infection off your guns?
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Skadoosh

I keep mine from rusting by shooting it often.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:10 PM   #3
dc88

I own a browning bps, but I'm usually the one who cleans and oils my dad's mossberg.

I usually clean and oil our guns after each use unless we plan on going out again in a few days.
I completely take them apart, clean, and oil them with with hoppes 9 solvent and oil.
I know that may be overkill with the cleanin but there is no rust that I have seen on our guns.

He has had his mossberg for about 7 years.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:13 PM   #4
customaquatics

thats what i did with mine i stripped it an whiped every part down with Rem oil an put it back together. should i start buyin the Hoppes stuff since the Rem oil isn't workin?
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:27 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Much of the rusting depends on the climate your in, what part of the country are you in. In Michigan I run a dehumidifier 24/7 to pull the water out of the air during the warmer months.
Athin film of RIG goe's a long way protecting from rust.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:29 PM   #6
customaquatics

in central illinois were I-57 an I-70 meet. effingham illinois to be exact.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:39 PM   #7
oregunner

Remoil should work fine. Don't store it in a case, let it breathe. I keep mine in silicone treated gun socks, inside a warm house. A gun shouldn't rust any more than your silverware. It's all about how you treat it. Mark
Old October 8, 2011, 07:09 PM   #8
dc88

I got hoppes way back as a xmas present and havnt used anything else since then.

It works so no need for me to try other things.

I live down in texas so it gets pretty humid down here but still dont have any rust.

Another thing I like to do is take a towel with me when doin clays. We usually have several guns to choose from to shoot, so when they arent in use, we wrap them up and put em on the tailgate till we are ready to shoot em. I also dont keep them in cases, (because I dont own any) we keep them in a gun cabinet.
Old October 8, 2011, 08:30 PM   #9
mongo356

Quote:
customaquatics- in central illinois were I-57 an I-70 meet. effingham illinois to be exact.
I'm just south of you about 40 miles.

Everyone has their favorite snake oil but I like Break-free CLP. I don't store them in a gun case (let it breath). Basements or wet humid areas can be tough.

I have used Mobil 1 full-synthetic lately with good results. Personally I try and stay away from light oils...the Mobil 1 & CLP seems to stay put even after setting for a long time. I probably over oil but I swab the outside as well as the bore.
Old October 8, 2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Dr. Strangelove

Like the above post, use CLP.
Old October 8, 2011, 08:53 PM   #11
checkmyswag

Leave Illinois. Maybe the gun is protesting the state you make it live in?

Joking...mostly.
Old October 8, 2011, 09:33 PM   #12
C0untZer0

Rem oil = mineral oil.

I would change what you're using. You can't go wrong with CLP, it Cleans, Lubricates and Protects.

Mineral oil is OK for cleaning only because it's less viscous, but it's not good at preventing corrosion.

Rust can be like an infection... you may have to use a good penetrant like Penetro 90 to like disinfect it - root all the rust out:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/penetro-oil.html

Penetro 90 has this stuff Scheafer calls "Rust Ender" and from what I've heard on the lubrication forums, it is pretty good at treating and preventing rust.

Is the rust on the outside? If you've gotten rid of the rust and you have a good coating of CLP on it and the CLP soaks in, or Penetro, you can take a cotton cloth and wipe basically dry, and then put a coat carnuba wax on the your shotgun's outside. I haven't tried any of the advanced polymer waxes but they supposedly have advanced long chain-polymers that have improved hydrophobic qualities. On a car that means being in the rain or going through car washes multiple times and still beading the water. Probably a coat of carnuba car wax after you have the proper lube soaked into the metal will work.

I'm guessing that anything that is safe for the finish of a car is safe for the finish of a gun.

You can also get "Rust Ender" separately from Scheaffer.

Anyway, it's not the Mossberg, it's the Rem Oil.

Last edited by C0untZer0; October 9, 2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old October 8, 2011, 09:38 PM   #13
NESHOOTER

I use a product called Gibbs, I put on all my guns and it has not failed me yet it is appx 9.00 per spray can and I had my can for a couple of yrs I just spray on my oil cloth and wipe it down works great.
Old October 9, 2011, 01:29 AM   #14
KnightofCydonia

Also look at G96 Gun Treatment which is a CLP. It has magnetic film which clings to the microscopic pores in the metal surface, ousting dirt, and leaving behind a teflon film that protects the gun as well as lubricating it. And I store my guns in a soft case and I don't have rust. Dessicant packs also help dehumidify as well.
Old October 9, 2011, 10:41 AM   #15
Carne Frio

I use Weaponshield, but rust is not a problem here.
Breakfree Collector has a good reputation for rust
prevention. A low humidity storage location is also
important.

http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp
Old October 9, 2011, 10:58 AM   #16
Wyosmith

Try CorrosionX
http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx-for-guns.html
Old October 9, 2011, 01:31 PM   #17
customaquatics

i wouldnt be suprised if it is protesting since this state hate's firearms the most.
Old October 9, 2011, 06:34 PM   #18
checkmyswag

I've been using M-Pro 7. Big fan.
Old October 9, 2011, 06:51 PM   #19
tape

I have a 464 30-30 and use synthetic trans fluid, no rust.
Old October 9, 2011, 08:21 PM   #20
mr kablammo

Wow, This is good stuff. I wipe down the metal extriorf with Hoppes on a patch, then a dry patch, then a silicon cloth. So far so good but maybe I will spend time tommorow doing inspections.
Old October 9, 2011, 10:06 PM   #21
Dr. Strangelove

If you expose your firearms to all sorts of crazy stuff, try Boeshield:

http://boeshield.com/

I used it for years on outboard motors when I lived in FL on the coast, spray this stuff on something, toss it saltwater for a month, pick it back up, it'll look exactly like when you threw it in the water. It doesn't play.
Old October 10, 2011, 12:53 AM   #22
riggins_83

Mine sits in a safe with a dehumidifier. Was cleaned/lubed about 2 years ago with Shooter's Choice FP-10.. no signs of rust.
Old October 10, 2011, 01:24 AM   #23
TripHlx

I've never had much trouble keeping any of my firearms rust free, even in the relatively high summer humidity here in SC. I regularly clean my father-in-law's mossberg 500 for him, using CLP, and it's never had a bit of rust form on it. Just a thin layer wiped on after cleaning does the trick for me.

Tags
clp , rust