The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 7, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Double Impact

Ballistol

Any here use Ballistol to clean and lube there firearms?
post your thoughts Good ,bad or what ?
Old August 7, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2
insaneranger

Ballistol's Great

I've been using Ballistol for years. Using only Ballistol (no grease) I've put over 3,000 rounds through my Ruger SR9 & a couple thousand through my Beretta Cougar .45 & have no wear on moving parts. It's really good stuff & is safe on metal, polymer, & wood gun parts. I use it for everything. Cleaning & lubing my pistols & rifles, protecting wooden rifle stocks, knives, leather holsters, sqeaky door hinges, & it's completely safe around kids & pets. I've tried about everything out there. Unlike other oils that run everywhere (like Rem & Breakfree CLP) Ballistol stays where you put it. It's the best cleaner & lube I've tried.
Old August 7, 2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Works ok.
Smells awful.
I only put it on my BPCR.
Old August 7, 2011, 10:37 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Summer re-run?....

Wasn't this same exact post topic on the forum less than 4 weeks ago?

The member could search; "ballistol" and bring up all the reply messages or remarks.

Old August 8, 2011, 02:02 AM   #5
Seattledave

I use and like it. I mostly use it on my revolvers and for cleaning barrels. It has a bit of a funky smell, but that fades after a few hours. You have to let it sit a while if you're going to use it as cleaning solvent. I let it soak in for a few hours and it really lifts up the crud nicely. What I really like about it is that's it's safe for all materials and it leaves a slick protective coating on whatever you put it on.
Old August 8, 2011, 02:12 AM   #6
Kyo

i love it. I think it works great
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old August 10, 2011, 06:56 AM   #7
Double Impact

clydefrog

i did do a search for ballistol, However the reason i established this thread or any thread is I would like to get some more up to date info or some fresh opinions from new or even old users.

After all is that not what these hundreds or thousands of forums for.

if all a person did was do searches we would never get new info.
Old August 10, 2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Billy Shears

Love it. I've gotten into the habit of only using it on BP guns nowadays, but it will work on just about anything, including leather holsters, wood stocks, etc. Good stuff. I don't think it smells bad either. It's not as sweet and pleasant as Hoppe's #9 for sure, but it isn't terrible.
Old August 10, 2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Dave Chuppa

I think it's one of the best product to use on anything. I use it at the Gun Shop. It works as good as any other combination gun cleaner and lube. I use it at home on my hardwood floor to keep it looking good. I buy it by the case.
Old August 10, 2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Vartarg

Mixed Review

I use it, and like how it works....on the other hand, it STINKS!

I've recently been using Eezox, and that's what I'm going to use from now on.

Being largely a rifle handloader and shooter, I also use a variety of other higher powered cleaning materials.....
If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King
Old August 10, 2011, 12:07 PM   #11
C0untZer0

Lubrication - the ULTIMATE zombie thread!

I accidentaly got some Ballistol on my head once and when I woke up in the morning I had regrown hair where it had been on my scalp!

And my dandruff went away!

I rubbed it on my joints and it cured my arthritis !

It also removes bunions!

I don't use it on my guns though cuz it's too expensive.
Old August 10, 2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Jim Watson

I have a reprint of the 1939 Stoeger's catalog, featuring Stoegerol, which sounds a whole lot like Ballistol. In addition to many claims for its CLP capabilities, it was a fine medicine as well:

"Stoegerol kills pus-germs and bacteria and wounds in man and beast, and sterilizes them until medical assistance can be procured. Effective in running sores, chafing and soreness after horseback riding, perspering and sore feet, burns, frostbite, prickleheat, eczema, rheumatism, gout, colds in the head, coughs (rub nose, throat, chest, and other affected areas with Stoegerol.) If used before hiking and hunting tramps, precents soreness and chafing. Stoegerol relieves piles, eczema, dry and moist, destroys fleas, body lice, mange, crabs, scabies and all other vermin on man or beast."

"Stoegerol absorbs through the skin into the circulation and kills in this manner many cold bacillus in a short time. Most colds begin in the head and by rubbing the forehead, nose, throat, and chest with Stoegerol quick relief will follow if applied in the early stages. For the same reason it relieves rheumatsm, lumbago, and gout."
Old August 10, 2011, 02:49 PM   #13
seed

Ballistol has been gaining a lot in popularity recently because of Hickok45's unpaid endorsement of it. I really like his videos, but I don't use Ballistol. There are better products out there if you do the research.
Old August 10, 2011, 06:20 PM   #14
BarryLee

I use it a lot, but on my knives and not so much on my guns. I have used it on guns and it is a nice all around product, but I have found other items I like better. However, I can see it being a very good product for field use where you only want to carry one product with numerous uses.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 10, 2011, 07:03 PM   #15
Casimer

Quote:
it was a fine medicine as well:
That probably was Ballistol. Not too long ago, Ballistol's promotional literature listed all sorts of weird therapeutic applications. Apparently you can ingest it, not that I'd recommend that.

From what I understand, Ballistol is a mineral oil with oleic acid, which is a fatty acid. That might account for the fishy smell.
Old August 10, 2011, 09:04 PM   #16
insaneranger

Ballistol was invented in Germany in 1904 & the military started using it from 1905-1945 for use on their rifles, stocks, & leather gear. And yes...soldiers would even use it for the treatment of minor wounds, sores and scratches. After that it became known as a miracle oil & was sold in countries all over the world.
Old August 10, 2011, 09:53 PM   #17
orionengnr

Um...no.
I'll stick with Eezox.
Old August 10, 2011, 10:16 PM   #18
Winchester_73

I prefer Kroil, but I like the smell of Kroil on top of how its the go to oil in general. The ballistol salesman at the gun shows tries to tell me Kroil is toxic but how could it be toxic and smell awesome?
Old August 11, 2011, 03:56 AM   #19
p99guy

I use it to clean my milsurps after I use corrosive ammunition, which was what it was made to do.
Old August 11, 2011, 10:45 AM   #20
C0untZer0

The claims of being effective against lice and mange are probably true.

There are some oils which break down the exoskeletons of lice and other small insects and arachnids/mites. Coal tar, for instance, which is found in a limited amount in Denorex shampoo, is used to treat eczema, psoriasis, and lice. Most of those oils are not good for your skin... but they do kill lice and mites, and make fleas flee.

I haven't used Ballistol so I can't comment on it, but if the thread degenerates inot everyone chiping in on what they think the best lubricant is - I'll throw in my new opinions on it.
Old August 12, 2011, 08:08 PM   #21
JBB

Good stuff. I use it to clean my black powder pistol.
Old August 12, 2011, 11:38 PM   #22
Para Cassatt

I may be oldschool about some things but not Ballistol. The stinch is too bad for me to use it. My gunsmith practically bathes in it but I insist he keeps it away from any gun of mine. My thinking is that if it actually is that good for metal then it cannot be good for wood.
Old August 13, 2011, 06:25 PM   #23
seed

There are more than a few products that are good for wood and metal.

If smell is a huge factor (along with such things as being a fantastic lube and protectant and relatively nontoxic), give Weapons Shield a try. Smells cinamonny...I actually like the smell. It almost makes me start feeling hungry!
Old August 13, 2011, 07:14 PM   #24
Ribcracker

I received my first bottle of Ballistol in the "goodie" bag at a state silhouette match many years ago and I've been using it ever since. And quite frankly, I love the smell of Ballistol. It's my CLP of choice but I've been having difficulty finding it lately. Bass Pro Shops? Nope. Williams Gun Sight? Nope. Local Walmart? Uh,uh.
I guess I'll have to see if it's available online.
Old August 13, 2011, 07:30 PM   #25
montelores

"• BALLISTOL: INTRODUCTION
BALLISTOL has been around in Europe for over three generations. Originally invented for military use it became a household word in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Millions of users have experimented with BALLISTOL and found new surprising applications for it, some of which reach into the field of veterinary and even human medicine. In the United States the law prohibits a seller to advertise or recommend a product for use as a drug in human or veterinary medicine, unless the Food and Drug Administration have approved it for these uses. BALLISTOL has not been submitted for approval by the FDA as a drug. In Germany a modified formula of BALLISTOL, NEO-BALLISTOL, is admitted for use in veterinary and human medicine. NEO-BALLISTOL is not sold in the USA, Canada or Mexico.

WARNING: BALLISTOL MUST BE USED AS INDICATED IN THE CONSUMER INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS PAGE AND ON THE REVERSE PANEL OF ITS CONTAINER. DO NOT USE BALLISTOL AS A DRUG. BALLISTOL IS NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

"• BALLISTOL: ITS BIRTH
In 1874, Friedrich Wilhelm Klever, an attorney with interest in economy, founded the Klever Company” in Cologne, Germany. He began producing oils and greases from coal and eventually bought a coal mine so he would not run out of raw materials. At the turn of the century the imperial German Army (the Wehrmacht) began to look for an all-around oil. The idea was to maintain the metallic parts of the soldier’s rifle but also to protect the wooden stocks and his leather gear. The soldier was to use the same oil for the treatment of minor wounds, sores and scratches. Friedrich’s son, Dr. Helmut Klever, had become a professor of chemistry at the Technical University of Karlsruhe. He set out to develop what the Army wanted. In 1904 he succeeded to produce a special oil which he named BALLISTOL, from the word ballistic and the Latin word for oil, ‘oleum’. Thus the descriptive meaning of the word BALLISTOL is: ballistic oil. It soon became obvious that the new wonder Oil had truly amazing capabilities. The Army tested it and adopted it in 1905 and it stayed in use until 1945. But the word had spread and within a decade hunters, boaters, motorists, hikers, mountaineers and outdoorsmen in Germany, Austria and Switzerland convened to the new miracle oil."

"Most common gun oils, solvents, cleaners or corrosion inhibitors are not good for your gun's wooden stocks, Some attack the high gloss varnish, some will bleach the wood, some will wash the oil out of your oil stocks. Ballistol is good for wood and wooden stocks. It was designed to protect even untreated gun stocks against humidity, insects and fungus and to be compatible with all sorts of paints and varnishes, even those on antique guns. Ballistol can be used to re-treat oil stocks. It penetrates into the wood and inhibits the growth of fungus and mildew in the wood. Of course, you can also use Ballistol on modern and antique furniture or to protect external wooden structures against decay. Ballistol will also prevent insects from attacking wood.

CAUTION: It is sometimes uncertain which type of paint, lacquer or varnish was used on antique guns or furniture. Test Ballistol on a small spot first!

Teak oil does a good job on teak, but only if the wood is dry. If the teak has been exposed for years and the surface has turned grey, neither teak oil nor Ballistol will bring the original looks back. But Ballistol can be applied to the wet wood and it does have the capability to prevent fungus mildew from further deteriorating the wood. Inside a boat cabin, Ballistol maintains the wood everywhere. It makes it look great and prevents it from absorbing too much moisture and from developing mildew. Being alkaline, Ballistol slows down the growth of fungi in wood, if re-applied in regular intervals.

We are certain that you will find more amazing uses for BALLISTOL.

"BALLISTOL: COMPLETE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
In 1913 Messrs. Kolb, a Philadelphia corporation submitted Ballistol to the "War Department's" Springfield Armory for T&E. Ballistol was tested on several firearms and Ordnance Captain Ramsey notified Messrs. Kolb by end of April 1914 that Ballistol had been found to be far superior to the Cosmoline used at the time by the US Army for firearms maintenance. Kolb was encouraged to submit a proposal in response to the Army's next RFP. However, in the Fall of 1914 the Austrian Army marched into Serbia and WWI began. Since January 01, 1993, Ballistol has been marketed exclusively by the former Washington Trading Company, now called Ballistol, USA. In 1993 the Navy’s Seal Team 6 tested Ballistol and adopted it in 1994 for weapon maintenance. The US Coast Guard began using Ballistol in 1994. Today Ballistol is used by numerous state and local law enforcement departments and departments of correction throughout the US. For Federal Agencies, Ballistol is available through the Defense General Supply Center (DGSC) of the Defense Logistics Agency. The CAGE Code for Ballistol is "OZKM2". Inquire about the NSN,s for Ballistol sizes.
Lubrication

Ballistol is a far better lubricant than most, if not all, other so-called gun oils. Test it by putting Ballistol on your right index finger and another product on your left index finger and by rubbing your index fingers against your thumbs. You will find that Ballistol is significantly slicker than competing products. Then clean your hands and again rub each index finger against the thumb. You will find that the finger which had the Ballistol is still slicker. Now wash both hands with soap and rub again. The finger with Ballistol will will still be slicker. This proves that Ballistol lubricates not only better but also more long-lasting than other products"

Cleaning

"Another problem found with many gun oils is that they are not good cleaners. The gun owner has to use a cleaner first and then a lubricant. And then there is no guarantee that the lubricant is a good corrosion inhibitor. Ballistol fulfills all three functions: it cleans, lubricates and protects against corrosion!

Ballistol has the capability to dissolve traces of copper, zinc, tombac and lead. It can actively eliminate residues of these metals from the chambers and bores of firearms. Test it by sticking a dispensed and slightly corroded brass shell into Ballistol so that the Ballistol covers approximately half of the shell. Leave the shell in the Ballistol for approximately 30 minutes and wipe the part exposed to Ballistol with a dry cotton cloth. You will see it become shiny again.

Ballistol dissolves the inorganic residues from black powder In black powder guns, it also neutralizes the acidic residues from black powder."

"Ingredient Isobutyl Alcohol
Product: 0 Hazardous Ingredients Information
Ballistol-Lube does not contain any components classified "hazardous" by OSHA

Ballistol-Lube contains only one ingredient with TLVs:

Ingredient Isobutyl Alcohol
OSHA PEL 100 ppm TWA
ACGHI TLV 50 ppm TWA

Carcinogenicitv: No NTP publication. No IARC monograph. Ballistol-Lube is based on medicinal Qrade mineral oil (CAS# 8042-47-5), which has been classified "Class 3" by the IARC, This means that there is insufficient evidence for this substance to cause cancer In anI- mals or humans. BALLISTOL-Lube does not contain any substance currently known to be a carcinogen.

Monty

Last edited by montelores; August 13, 2011 at 07:42 PM.