The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 2, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
kx592

Winchester Military 00

First time seeing buckshot labeled as military 00. Says Winchester on the shell rim which is news to me also. Anyone patterned these and hows the quality of it? Any different than say rem. 2 3/4 00?
Old February 2, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2
JerseyDrez

I cant say I have patterned any type of Mil-type buckshot, nonetheless bought it.

For Buck, I use S&B 00 and 000 which has worked flawlessly for me.

I have always wondered what the difference is between military buck and regular buck, so I searched it on google. I came upon a forum with the OP questioning it, and here was someones answer. Not saying I back this up, but I just thought it was hilarious cause hes so right about his last two statements..

"I've been told that the "military" shotgun ammo showing up is simply contract overruns and inspection rejects that while perfectly serviceable didn't pass military muster. Sorta like those surplus Army boots you might find that have some misaligned seams or gloves that may have a finger slightly too long or short or be the wrong color. Don't know if that is is true or not. If I were Winchester I'd be churning out all of the OD green shells I could from my mil contract production line and sell the overage to the civilian market. I'd charge twice as much for them since they're "tactical". Slap a chunk of picatinny rail on the box and you wouldn't be able to keep them in stock."

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old February 2, 2010, 02:38 PM   #3
shooter mcgavin

i dont think there is any difference between the military and civilian shells. ive shot a ton of the military shells and had no issues whatsoever. i know if i saw some cheaper than the "civilian" shells i would not hesitate to load up.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:28 PM   #4
kx592

Good to hear, they loaded the whole rack at cabelas with them at 4.99 which is the same or 1.00 less than the rem. i useually buy...sounds like ill take another trip out and stock up...Ill pattern them hopefully soon and post results
Old February 4, 2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Evyl Robot

Only slightly OT, but -

Maybe I'm dense, or ignorant... ...or possibly both...

But, I don't understand why buckshot shells are so much more expensive than birdshot. I fail to see how there is a significant difference in the quantity or processing of the components that justifies a 5x price difference. For some products, you expect to pay more, but seriously?
Old February 5, 2010, 02:59 PM   #6
JerseyDrez

Cabelas used to have S&B 25-shell 00 boxes for $11.99.

I almost bought out the whole shelf. Im set for a while now, and I saw them go up in price this winter so Im glad I stocked up.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old February 8, 2010, 02:09 AM   #7
Glocker89

Have a few boxes of them. I really like them. They seem a little more powerful and they stay pretty tight.
Old February 8, 2010, 03:16 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

If you have one perhaps you could dissect it and compare to a Remington or other commercial. Any difference in buffering? Wad? Plated or plain lead shot? Primers and shell crimp have any extra sealant? Anything about the case base or case that is constructed more robust?

Just within the commercial realm there are many subtle differences in buckshot loads, so could be something different about the milspec ones. Then you would have to decide whether that difference was meaningful for your situation.

By the way, are there any in Flat Dark Earth?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison