The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 4, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Roadapple Red
Join Date: February 12, 2008
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 19
Pin Wrench

I am searching for a special tool that is used to remove the "plate" that holds the firing pin in place in side by side and O/U shotguns. I would call it a pin wrench but I am not certain that is the correct description. I own a Beretta 682 Gold that has a "plate" that holds the firing pin in place. The firing pin protrudes from the center of this plate. There are three holes around this center hole that appear to accept a pin wrench to remove the plate in order to access the firing pin to replace the firing pin if it breaks or the spring breaks. My BT99 also has such a plate, again with three holes around the center firing pin hole.

Is this tool called a pin wrench?
Does this tool have three pins that align with the holes in the plate?
Where can a person purchase such a tool?
Thanks much for help
Roadapple Red is offline  
Old July 5, 2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: March 13, 2007
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,220
Generally, gunsmiths make them as needed.


Author, NEW! The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
wjkuleck is offline  
Old July 5, 2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: February 13, 2006
Location: Washington state
Posts: 13,389
They are called spanner wrenches, and you can buy them or make them.
Never try to educate someone who resists knowledge at all costs.
But what do I know?
Summit Arms Services
Taylor Machine
Scorch is offline  
Old July 5, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4
James K
Senior Member
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 24,384
They actually are called firing pin bushing tools, and Brownells has them in two and three pin types. However, as wjkuleck says, most gunsmiths either make one as needed or make one that will be universal and can be used for other purposes, like the crossbolt nut on Mauser rifle stocks. I made one that was round, about 3/4 inch in diameter with holes drilled in two lines crossing each other, as close together as I could drill them. That allowed about any spacing, and allowed use of large pins (size of hole) or turned down ones of about any smaller diameter. The "wrench" part was just a hole drilled through crossways for a cross handle, like a nipple wrench.

BTW, some of those bushing holes are spaced so that a nipple wrench can be modified.

Jim K
James K is offline  
Old July 6, 2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Roadapple Red
Join Date: February 12, 2008
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 19
Thankyou fellas for the feedback. I think I will try Jim's suggestion and make one myself.
Roadapple Red is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.06300 seconds with 10 queries