The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 25, 2006, 04:40 PM   #1
FrontSight

Bagged a Ram at Creekside Trophy Ranch in Upstate NY

Was there this weekend, what a great time! Ok, it's a game ranch, but fair chase nonetheless...they roam around on 500 acres, wild as hell.

I got a Texas Dall, my buddies got a Corsican Ram & a wild boar (boar with a bow). Holy cow, these animals are all tough, boar took two (what I would normally consider to be on deer) lethal arrows to the lungs, then finally a 30-06 put it down. My ram took 3 hits from a 7mm Remington, two to the neck, one to the chest, before it went down. We are all good good shots, so that was not an issue. They are just tough as all h*ll!

Really nice staff & guides, I definitely recommend the place, and will be going back for sure. There's even a bow and a gun shop right next to the office.

Pics:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/a02b8516.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/0273b5a8.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/9379492c.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0/d426f4c7.jpg
Old April 25, 2006, 07:35 PM   #2
PSE

man, you cant hide money.
Old April 25, 2006, 07:46 PM   #3
shureshot0471

Pse its not too expencive just like $500 for a Gold medel Ram at a place bout 75 miles from my house. I have seen it cheaper down in deep south Texas it is actually a fun experince eventhough it is a high fence.9that is due to Texas game laws though)
- Ted Nugent
Old April 25, 2006, 08:40 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Looks like fun; congrats! Let us know how it cooks up.
Old April 26, 2006, 08:33 AM   #5
FrontSight

Thanks guys, and really, not too expensive at all: the rams were $650 each, the boar was $500. It was a real blast, and I've roasted some already (the neck, I know, too tough to roast that part) - with no seasonings, and the taste was absolutely delicious, not gamey at all. I will definitely be going back...
Old April 26, 2006, 08:43 AM   #6
Jack O'Conner

I'm glad you had a great time. I hunted at Tioga Preserve in Pennsylvania last June and one of the guys from another group shot a big Texas dall. We all bagged boars and enjoyed ourselves.

Preserve hunting can be a terrific experience. I was skeptical until I tried it.
Jack
Old April 26, 2006, 05:26 PM   #7
jhgreasemonkey

I have never had the oportunity to hunt on a preserve/ranch. It sounds like its a blast. And its not as expensive as I thought. Now I am interested in seeing whats around here in Wa. Thanks.
Old July 4, 2006, 03:21 AM   #8
samsmix

Oh man. I shouldn't bite on this, but I will.

I am lucky enough to have the run of six digits worth of prime (and not so prime) deer country, but I also hunt on some smaller plots. One is a friends farm. At 800 acres it is the 2nd smallest in Choutaeu County, MT. Were it high fenced, there is absolutly NO WAY that a given animal could elude rifle range for an entire day, save perhaps burrowing.

There is no shame in putting down sheep, or hogs, or any other fenced in livestock (Even easily spooked livestock). That is what they were managed/raised for: meat. That said, I will take it upon myself to deliver to you the sad news that what you were on is best refered to as a "shoot", not a hunt.

If what you were doing was indeed fair chase, why did you feel the need to "come clean" about it?

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old July 5, 2006, 01:51 PM   #9
FrontSight

Who said they felt the need to "come clean"?
Old July 6, 2006, 01:05 AM   #10
samsmix

Quote:
Scrap5000: Okay, it's a game ranch...
I am not saying that I would not engage in a "shoot", just that there is a difference between that and hunting. I really didn't mean to rain on your parade. Those were some nice pics, and you did not start this thread to open a fair chase debate. Sorry. I now realize there is a better thread for that sort of thing. Enjoy your mutton & pork

Sincerly,
Samsmix

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old July 6, 2006, 07:58 AM   #11
FrontSight

I love this place, I really do....everyone is so polite. No worries; I wasn't offended or anything...and what you say is true; it is very different than true hunting, because in the end, you are gonna bag what you came for, that's for sure. It's kind of half-way between going to a farm and going hunting...
Old July 6, 2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Desertfox

Glad you had fun and went outdoors hunting. Glad you had success. Glad to share it with you here on this forum. I wish I could have gone with you.
Nice pic's and everyone with a smile from ear to ear. Looks like hunting to me!