The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 1, 2005, 04:56 PM   #1
threefivesevenmag

Body Type.

Hey All.

After reading several books, etc. I've seen a trend that body type can often affect bullet performance.

My question is, which body type most negatively affects JHPs:
Overweight, obese bodies or muscular, body builder types?
Old July 1, 2005, 04:59 PM   #2
SCCop

Only a guess

I don't have much data to back it up but I'd say obese. About 13 years ago I knew of a large (350 + lbs) guy who took 5 +p .357 JHP's all in the torso. Not only did he survive but he never lost consciousness and was able to talk the whole time.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old July 1, 2005, 05:44 PM   #3
QuickTrig

Wouldnt the high water content in the fat guy's cell's cause alot more hydrolic shock, then the guy thats all muscles. If so does hydrolic shock attribute to alot of what stopping power is about? Just wondering..
Old July 1, 2005, 06:15 PM   #4
CarbineCaleb

+1 on the obesity being a problem. The problem is just the sheer thickness of body that must be penetrated to reach vital organs. With the US leading the world in obesity, it's not such a rare thing to expect either.
Old July 1, 2005, 10:12 PM   #5
Netzapper

"Hydrolic shock" (or "hydrostatic shock") is complete and utter bull. Aside from the temporary wound cavity, there is no damaging transfer of energy through the body. In handgun bullets, the temporary wound cavity is seldom large enough to matter. Although, in rifles, it is possible for the temporary wound cavity to be large enough to show some of the effects of the hydrostatic shock fantasy.

Bullets stop by directly hitting and damaging critical organs, blood vessels, and nervous tissue.

That said, if you shoot a fat dude, he's definitely going to jiggle like jelly for a few microseconds. It might actually be amusing to watch in slow motion. My fat is hereby not volunteered to be the demonstration target.
Old July 1, 2005, 10:13 PM   #6
QuickTrig

Lol zapper, watching a JHP jiggle some fat....priceless
Old July 2, 2005, 01:05 AM   #7
Fjolnirsson

Wait, so you mean my fat is actually "tactical"? Awesome!

"The Federal agent who shot Vicki Weaver in the face, deliberately, while she was unarmed and holding her child is named Lon Horiuchi. Remember that name. He is still walking around loose. That man must eventually pay for his crime, here or hereafter."
-Jeff Cooper

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum (If you want peace prepare for war)

“We must be the change we wish to see.”-Ghandi
Old July 2, 2005, 01:24 AM   #8
Twycross

Quote:
Wouldnt the high water content in the fat guy's cell's cause alot more hydrolic shock, then the guy thats all muscles. If so does hydrolic shock attribute to alot of what stopping power is about? Just wondering..
1) Hydrostatic shock is really only applicable for rifles.

2) Even if hydrostatic shock was in effect for handgun calibers, fat tissue is not exactly vital for continued functioning. It would have to destroy something important.

I think fat would be the most practical effective bullet-stopping tissue type. Muscle might work better, but muscle, unlike fat, is not particularly expendable. Fat guys/gals are most likely to be a problem for projectiles. Seems us short skinny people have a problem. Supersize me! (not really)
Old July 2, 2005, 01:40 AM   #9
63Belair

carbine, so what you're saying is that instead of issuing kevlar to our troops we should issue cream cheese!

i bet it would save a few bucks at least

haha!
Old July 2, 2005, 09:04 AM   #10
CarbineCaleb

Yep, the past 5 years, I have been really bulking up with tactical fat. I think I may have some tactical pizza, donuts, and supersized McMeal today in fact
Old July 2, 2005, 02:42 PM   #11
63Belair

Old July 3, 2005, 09:42 AM   #12
Mannlicher

"Hey All.

After reading several books, etc. I've seen a trend that body type can often affect bullet performance."

Ok, but what books ect have you perused that lead to asking the question? What indicates 'a trend'? Are you just making this up?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 3, 2005, 12:42 PM   #13
CarbineCaleb

Well, I am not sure what the detailed thesis of the books is, but it is a known fact that shooting obese persons is problematic for "stopping power". The reason is, if you add a 6" layer of fat to a healthy build, there is a good chance that a handgun bullet won't penetrate enough to reach the vitals.
Old July 14, 2005, 01:56 AM   #14
scoobydoo6906

Yeah and we are safer to... harder to shoot though and though if we do get shot, not to mention harder to kidnap too. fat rocks!
Old July 14, 2005, 08:01 AM   #15
armedandsafe

Fat might rock, but, when you are built as I am, you just turn sideways and disappear!

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."