The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 3, 2014, 12:57 AM   #76
WardenWolf

Computer hard drives. If you hit them just right with a high-powered rifle round, they can explode quite impressively. I hit the bolt for the swing-arm with my Mosin Nagant. The base of the drive shattered into 3 pieces and scattered parts over a range of 10 feet.
Old February 3, 2014, 02:45 PM   #77
Kilroy08

I forgot how fun old hard drives were.

I had a stack of them one time and proceeded to do some "scientific testing."

They're fairly bullet resistant up through pistol calibers. Then the SKS and 1903A3 came out.

Most fascinating was one particularly tough hard drive that was from the 1980s. What is lacked in storage density, it more than made up for with material density. I had a .30-06 tracer stick in it and not penetrate. It was fairly old ammo that had a noticeably delayed ignition for the tracing compound. After about 7 or 8 seconds, it started smoking like the dickens before burning an off purple, the petering out to some funky yellow smoke.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:10 AM   #78
franzas

sporting clays. I like 'em because I know when I hit.

I went "Office Space" on some mice that stopped working with the .30-30 @ 50 yds, then finished off with some 12 ga 00 a little closer.

"And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one."
-Jesus (Luke 22:36)
Old March 4, 2014, 10:43 PM   #79
jimbob86

Quote:
Pumpkins are fun to shoot (not to mention you now have a use for that rotting Jack O' Lantern after Halloween).
Place a plastic shopping bag as a liner inside, and fill with water. Engage with high-powere rifle.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:26 AM   #80
Hal

Quote:
hodaka :
aspirin and Tums

tahunua001:
empty 22 casings.

mouser868 :
thumbtacks and staples
Three people after my own heart!

I've used aspirin and spent .22cases and staples many a time.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:55 PM   #81
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
After about 7 or 8 seconds, it started smoking like the dickens before burning an off purple, the petering out to some funky yellow smoke.
For what it's worth, the rare earth magnets in most hard drives can give off some pretty unhealthy fumes if burned or subjected to extreme temperatures.
Old March 6, 2014, 12:20 PM   #82
skizzums

went to the dollar store the other day, we piced up a few dozens random cans of soups, sauces and shaving creams

tossed them in the air and shot with 00 buck, lots of fun, the cans were the best, shaving cream not very dramatic
Old March 6, 2014, 02:36 PM   #83
P5 Guy

Marshmallow Peeps.
Old March 8, 2014, 10:55 AM   #84
psalm7

Liquid Gain or Tide containers filled with water if you get a good hit the big plastic lids will go 30 ft in the air .
Old March 8, 2014, 11:40 AM   #85
Oldbuck30

The squirrel idea

qas a good one, but I don't eat them. been told they are high in LDL
Old April 9, 2014, 09:08 PM   #86
Strnge

Cars!!!

Drag it out there, pull the wheels off, shoot it up, put the tires back on and tow to scrap yard for money.
Old April 9, 2014, 09:11 PM   #87
Strnge

Oh ya almost forgot my favorite...Tannerite!
Old April 10, 2014, 06:54 AM   #88
Magnum Wheel Man

MRS... watches Duck Dynasty, ( too dumb for me ) but I happened to walk in yesterday & momma was embarrassing the grand kids at the bowling alley... a couple of the kids were drinking from bowling pin shaped water bottles... so today I did a search... yup... you can buy them on Amazon by the dozen...

filled with water, or perhaps sand ( for different effects ) they could put a new twist on the bowling pin shoot ???
Old April 10, 2014, 10:08 AM   #89
swmike

Couple of "targets" that don't leave a huge mess behind (which tends to get shooting areas closed quickly around here) are OREO cookies and Pool Cue Chalk.

For the OREO's, get a could of bags from the "Clearance Stores" that most baking companies run. Any "Sandwich Cookie" works great. Take any piece of scrap lumber from 1X2 to 2X4 and drill small holes that will hold a coctail toothpick. Space about 6" apart. Set the board up on sawhorses or big rocks. Put a cookie on each toothpick by sticking the exposed tip into the 'frosting' filling. Bring plenty but only eat the ones that are already broken. The birds and squirrels will clean up after your shooting.

Another target that can often be used on public ranges is the pool cue chalk. Get a target that has room to glue a half-dozen of the chalk blocks on it.

When you 'drill one" they burst into a big blue "puff". Again, cleanup is no issue. The chalk is about $0.30 each but if you use them at 200 and 300 yard ranges they tend to last more than just a few shots. Got to hit em to explode em

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old April 10, 2014, 10:57 AM   #90
jimbob86

Easter Egg hunt is coming up soon .... eggs are dyed, and awaiting destruction.