The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2018, 07:52 PM   #1
The Flash

Desert Eagle L5 & L6

I have not found any comments from everyday sportmen/sportwomen on these new offerings from MAGNUM RESEARCH although they have been out for sometime now.

There are a few YouTube videos (I haven't checked VIMEO) and I wonder if the price is an issue for the apparently tepid market response.

If any forum member has bought or fired one I'll kindly ask you to share your impressions on the pistol : finish, heft, accuracy, how much you paid over MSRP, etc..

I have a Mark VII chambered in .44 REMINGTON MAGNUM and while I have no qualms with its size and weight I will like to also acquire either an L5 or and L6 also chambered in the same caliber.

My understanding is that the folks at MR (now owned by KHAR) originally released the L5 model in .357 MAGNUM to be followed up by .44 chamberings and that from the get go the L6 was going to be made available in .44MAG.

If anyone here has been fortunate to have had one of these iconic guns in your hand don't be stingy and share.

Last edited by The Flash; January 12, 2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:24 PM   #2
JMag1

I’m now feeling a bit blue because I don’t own one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 13, 2018, 12:58 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...wonder if the price is an issue..." More about the size of the DE. Way too big for normal sized hands. Still laugh about having to hold the thing nearly sideways to shoot it back in about 1989. Although an MSRP of nearly and over 2 grand is going to affect sales. Kind of suspect the Al frame might too.
Kahr bought 'em in 2010.
"...have a Mark VII..." Buying another would just mean you'd have 2 of the same thing.
"...either an L5 or an L6..." Difference is the barrel length. And therefore the balance will be different.
Old January 13, 2018, 01:24 PM   #4
Areoflyer09

The weight was the issue for me when I was looking. Wanted a .357Mag in a semi and ended up with a Coonan instead. I’ve seen prices as low as 1500 new and used as low as 1100. I’ll grab a DE one of these days when I decide I want more punch than 357 or 10mm can provide in an semi.