The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 1, 2018, 02:36 PM   #26
hubris

LL Beans has 'comfort waist' jeans that are comfortable. Also, continue to fit as you drop weight- I lost quite a bit after a stroke and jeans were still a fit even though my belt didn't. The elastic helps comfort when carrying IWB. BTW, I carry at 8:30 IWB (Omni) and 9 OWB (Blackhawk).
Old January 2, 2018, 07:37 AM   #27
Scoits

Take a look at Duluth's Suspenders they work and you can skip the belt if your holster has a clip for IWB.
Old January 2, 2018, 12:54 PM   #28
spacemanspiff

Pfft. Most of ya'll are a buncha amateurs. Belly up to the all you can eat buffet, lightweights! I am 5'5" and 320 lbs.

I carry a full size 1911 IWB. Low riding tuckable holster from High Noon and the gun just about disappears. A good polo shirt covers up any potential printing.

The pants are the key. I don't wear blue jeans, nor do I wear slacks. Khakis with an elastic waistband make it easier to accomodate IWB carry.
Old January 3, 2018, 09:11 PM   #29
tallball

Due to health issues and medication issues I've put on 20 or 30 pounds of belly in the past few years.
Old January 3, 2018, 10:33 PM   #30
tallball

Due to health issues and medication issues I've put on 20 or 30 pounds of belly in the past few years. As a result I've had to modify my carry arrangements.

For cooler weather a G43 worn OWB covered by a long outer shirt or jacket works very well.

In warmer weather I wear slightly modified cargo shorts. I stitch the right cargo pockets just a little bit so that they will hold an LCR and pocket holster securely so that they won't move around. I just leave the flap unbuttoned. It's easy to access even when I'm driving/sitting.
Old January 4, 2018, 06:28 AM   #31
ms6852

I am 5'10 355 lbs. I carry a 1911 using a super tuck iwb from cross breed. I carry between 4 o'clock and 5. I like to use a vest over my shirt either western or biker type.
Old January 4, 2018, 10:24 AM   #32
agtman

Quote:
Pfft. Most of ya'll are a buncha amateurs. Belly up to the all you can eat buffet, lightweights! I am 5'5" and 320 lbs. * * *
Okay, just a "thinking-outside-the-box" question, ... but should dudes who are so girthy in the torso they can't see their feet even be allowed to carry outside the home?

I mean, at what point does one's obesity pose a public safety risk?
Old January 4, 2018, 10:46 AM   #33
nanney1

If a guy has a big gut and a flat butt, he will always be pulling up his pants, regardless if it's jeans or khakis or dress slacks. And that is without a holster. Guys built as I've described are probably not good candidates for IWB. I'm guessing those guys are either OWB or pocket carry.

I know a guy who is a former LEO who fits this body type description. He carries a Glock 17 OWB or with a shoulder harness or carries a small revolver on his ankle.
Old January 4, 2018, 10:51 AM   #34
Kemikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Okay, just a "thinking-outside-the-box" question, ... but should dudes who are so girthy in the torso they can't see their feet even be allowed to carry outside the home?

Really? You're saying you'd take away a person's right to self defense because you don't like their body shape?

What "public safety" risk do you think we pose, exactly?
Old January 4, 2018, 11:27 AM   #35
agtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman
Quote:
You're saying you'd take away a person's right to self defense because you don't like their body shape?
Never said that. Other measures exist for personal defense in public places. And liking or disliking 'body shape' has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
What "public safety" risk do you think we pose, exactly?
Well, I'm tall slender guy who works out. Walking down the sidewalk, a big, portly obese fella (who's now diabetic from all the high glucose intake) could well pass-out (or slip) and fall on me while EDC-ing. In doing so, his gun could go off. That makes being "armed while obese" a public-safety risk. Worse, if the same scenario happens inside a public transport, like a bus or in a cabin on an Amtrak train. Trapped in tight quarters, beneath 400lbs of concealed carrier, I might never get help. Why, it'd be even worse if the victim was a short, small fella or gal.

Look, I'm not advocating for passing a law today somewhere that regulates or limits concealed or open EDC by the way-2-fat folks.

I'm just posing the larger (pun unintended) and rhetorical 'policy' question for the group here to consider in conjunction with what the O.P. inquired about ...

Last edited by agtman; January 4, 2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old January 4, 2018, 01:16 PM   #36
spacemanspiff

You most certainly want us fat folks to carry! We are larger targets than you skinny folks. Plus when we do get hit and hit the ground you can duck behind our girthy corpses for cover. So, you're welcome for that!

Old January 4, 2018, 02:46 PM   #37
agtman

Quote:
You most certainly want us fat folks to carry! We are larger targets than you skinny folks. Plus when we do get hit and hit the ground you can duck behind our girthy corpses for cover. So, you're welcome for that!
Hah! Good point.
Old January 4, 2018, 04:31 PM   #38
kdrf636

@agtman

When it comes to fight or flight, us big dudes don't like to run, so we really only have one choice.
Old January 4, 2018, 05:58 PM   #39
agtman

[Totally tongue-in-cheek post - deleted. ]

Last edited by agtman; January 5, 2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old January 4, 2018, 06:15 PM   #40
Kemikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
...snip...
Well, I'll just say this: that's a lot of assumptions you're making there, fella. If I say much more than that, I'm at a pretty high risk of breaking some forum rules...

Do you also think folks who wear glasses shouldn't be allowed to carry? I mean, in a stressful situation, it seems pretty likely that their glasses might get knocked off, and then they'd be shooting blind! BLIND, I tell you! And what if there's a schoolyard on the other side of the bad guy? The horror!

Edit: he posted again while I was writing. After reading his latest, I'm just not going to feed the troll anymore.
Old January 4, 2018, 07:14 PM   #41
t45

Agtman, I've read some pretty asinine things over the years on this forum and chose to let it go but this is over the top. Go back to looking in the mirror at yourself while you do your arm curls. You have offered no help to the OP what so ever. You have only offended him and many others with your smarta$$ comments.

As for the OP, I hope you find the right style carry method that works for you. It took me several different holsters and carry locations to land on what works for me.
Old January 4, 2018, 11:42 PM   #42
SonOfScubaDiver

Quote:
Well, I'm tall slender guy who works out. Walking down the sidewalk, a big, portly obese fella (who's now diabetic from all the high glucose intake) could well pass-out (or slip) and fall on me while EDC-ing. In doing so, his gun could go off. That makes being "armed while obese" a public-safety risk. Worse, if the same scenario happens inside a public transport, like a bus or in a cabin on an Amtrak train. Trapped in tight quarters, beneath 400lbs of concealed carrier, I might never get help. Why, it'd be even worse if the victim was a short, small fella or gal.

This has to be the single stupidest thing I've seen someone post on a gun site.
Old January 4, 2018, 11:45 PM   #43
SonOfScubaDiver

Quote:
Dude, I'm not pushing for a categorical prohibition on concealed carry by fat-folk. My idea is actually reasonable. It would be a condition for carry under your state's CCW statute - similar to "making weight" before an MMA or boxing event.

Let's say you're a 6'ft male, average build. It wouldn't even have to be a super-strict standard. Maybe a statutory standard that would say something like, "for that height & build, you must be under 220lbs."

Okay, so you first apply for your CCW permit. Once your application is approved, it's conditional on passing the "weigh-in" procedure. You show up at the S.O.'s office, the local PD, or whatever agency issues your state's CCW permits, and at that time you have to "make weight."

A duly appointed and trained officer will weigh you as the final official step in the issuance of your permit. If the scale sez 220lbs or under, congrats!, you get your permit. If you're over that weight, an obnoxiously loud buzzer goes off, "BZZZZZ!", and it's Permit DENIED! ... And by the way, whether it's 3-yrs, or 5-yrs, or whatever, you'll need to be under the statutory weight limit when you return at renewal time. Don't think you can score a permit and then start slacking on the couch stuffin' donuts & Bon-Bons.

A legislative mandate like this not only benefits you in terms of personal health - at least if you want to go armed outside your home - but by requiring you to be in some minimally adequate physical shape to go armed, the rest of us receive a crossover benefit of safety, especially the kids.

I mean, no one wants to see some kid killed by your .44Mag snubby because it discharged when your 345-lbs corpse hit the floor at Pizza Hut during a cardiac infarction as you were trying to elbow your way to the front of the buffet line. ... I mean, really?

And when you think about it, it's all for the kids. They're our future.

I stand corrected. THIS is the single stupidest thing I've seen someone post on a gun site.
Old January 5, 2018, 12:46 AM   #44
Mal H
Staff

... and this thread has played itself out.
Closed Thread