The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2018, 03:35 AM   #1
Marco Califo

Zinc bullets?

Midsouth Shooters Supply has bulk 40 cal 155 gr projectiles for $9.99 per 100, making then economical. Has anyone used these? Had, or expect, issues? Know of loading data for zinc bullets? I know zinc weighs less than lead. How close is zinc to copper? Lighter, heavier, about the same?

"10mm .400 Diameter 10mm 155 Grain Lead Free Zinc Solid Bullet 250 Count
By: Midsouth Bulk Bullets | Item # 247-P10MMZS250
DESCRIPTION
Midsouth Bulk Bullet Special Offer! 10mm 155gr Lead Free Zinc Solid bullets - 250 Count Bag

**These are best for experienced reloaders due to lack of loading information available at this time. We will have minimal loading data posted soon.**

These 10mm bullets are a great bargain for reloaders looking for quality solid zinc, lead free bullets. We've found a bulk lot of bullets intended to go into factory ammunition, and now we're offering them to you at extreme value. These solid zinc, lead free bullets are a percentage of the cost of regular bullets. Quantities are limited and when they're gone - they are gone!"

Last edited by Marco Califo; January 13, 2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old January 13, 2018, 07:49 AM   #2
xandi

Zinc is the next element after copper so it’s alittle heavier atom for atom
Copper is denser though(2 grams per cc)

Last edited by xandi; January 13, 2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old January 13, 2018, 11:36 AM   #3
hdwhit

Quote:
Marco Califo asked:
How close is zinc to copper?
Well, on the periodic table, they're next door neighbors, but that doesn't really say a whole lot about them After all, Gold and Mercury are neighbors on the periodic table (and in the same column as Copper and Zinc, respectively) as their properties are very different.
Old January 13, 2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Don Fischer

I read somewhere and can't remember where about a guy that was casting zinc bullet's. When I cast I think zinc come's out in solids. Zinc wheel weights won't melt at lead temp but do float to the top of the melted lead nicely for removable. I have also read of guy's that ran their lead to hot and melted the zinc in with the lead. Supposed to be a good way to ruin the lead. Know some guy is selling zinc bullet's? Must not be casting them?
Old January 13, 2018, 02:00 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Isn't a new concept. Been discussed on forums since 2003 at least. One guy, on one forum, talked about having zinc bullets in 1956.
Swiped this from one of the forums.
"According to the Merck Index, the melting temperature of zinc is 419.5 degrees Centigrade or about 788F." Lead melts at 328 Celsius (621F).
Supposedly, they don't require lubing, but zinc will damage a casting pot for casting lead. Supposedly zinc will eat Al moulds too. And are too hard for sizing dies.
Highly unlikely you'll find data specifically for zinc bullets. However, like copper bullets they'll be longer than the same weight lead cored bullet due to the density difference. Copper is far more dense so any load data, if there is any, will be different too.
Old January 13, 2018, 03:06 PM   #6
Marco Califo

These are already cast and sized.
Old January 15, 2018, 01:44 PM   #7
Wrought

I would say youll get higher pressures if you seat them to the same depth as a lead bullet of the same weight. Zinc or tin is mixed with copper to create the gliding metal alloy we find on most commercial jacketed bullets. I wonder what a tin zinc alloy would be like.
Old January 15, 2018, 01:51 PM   #8
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
We've found a bulk lot of bullets intended to go into factory ammunition, and now we're offering them to you at extreme value.
Even the ammo manufacturer realized they weren't worth the hassle... That should tell you something.
Old January 15, 2018, 03:09 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

Quote:
Even the ammo manufacturer realized they weren't worth the hassle... That should tell you something.

Winchester sells the loaded ammo. I have found more than a few empty boxes around the waste basket at the range. They are jacketed just like lead is.

Tags
zinc , zinc bullets