The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 3, 2018, 10:02 AM   #51
WheelGunMan

Quote:
I do know they still release a lot of guns with exposed back straps because, well, nothing transfers shock like having the naked metal frame pressed into your palm directly above your carpal tunnel?
I hear that! BUT .......smaller stocks and exposed back strap sure do give the gun "curb appeal"!
Old April 7, 2018, 10:01 AM   #52
3Crows

Meanwhile I quite like my LCR .357. Easy to shoot accurately, not bad at all with 38+P. Packs a wallop for trail carry in .357 for defense against critters of various sorts. Tucks away out of sight, makes big holes when it comes out to play. What is not to like?
Old April 21, 2018, 08:08 AM   #53
Sturmpanzer

Gun is way to light for full
357 rounds...
Old April 21, 2018, 02:02 PM   #54
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmpanzer View Post
357 rounds...
Then what would you recommend?
Old April 21, 2018, 02:20 PM   #55
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
357 rounds...
Come on! Who's being the weenie now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZyXkhKPiM
(Full full house Buffalobore in a LCR)
Old April 21, 2018, 02:50 PM   #56
WheelGunMan

They offer the ARX in .357 too
86 grains 1700+ fps

Old April 21, 2018, 03:04 PM   #57
ammo.crafter

hd/ccw

Simple physics...light gun = more recoil.

A short-barrel .357mag is hard to hold onto let alone to shoot with accuracy.

If you are going to rely on a weapon to possibly save your life, you better practice extensively using the ammo you keep in that gun. Target loads are fine for getting used to the gun but it is not the same using full power loads.

Perhaps a larger caliber with less penetration would serve you better for HD. Look at a .38spl, 44spl, 45acp, etc.

Try as many guns as possible and narrow down to your liking and handling abilities.
Old April 21, 2018, 03:12 PM   #58
HighValleyRanch

The grips make a huge difference.
There's muzzle flip and then there is recoil.

Rubber grips on the LCR if you want to do serious magnum loads!!!
Get high on the gun to reduce flip.
Remember that in a real life senario, you will not feel any recoil as your adrenaline will be flowing. And while fast recovery between shots might be important in SOME circustances, gaging the use of your limited round and shooting slower might be advantageous is OTHER siturations.
Old April 21, 2018, 06:27 PM   #59
3Crows

Then use the stoutest 38+P and forgo the 357. I just do not find it that challenging to shoot the .357 Critical Defense or similar in my LCR. But yeah, there is more punch on both ends. And a full steel frame instead of aluminum.

3C
Old April 21, 2018, 07:22 PM   #60
moosemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmpanzer View Post
357 rounds...
Oh the irony!
Old April 21, 2018, 09:53 PM   #61
Sturmpanzer

Ok..guess I walked right into that one.. I recently got a Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp .357... Perfect size and weight for full house .357 loads.. I dislike the super light guns as a primary carry..good for backup ankle carry, though..
Old April 21, 2018, 10:00 PM   #62
Sturmpanzer

Also, try using a different way to grip the gun..talking snubbies... Put the thumb of your support hand OVER your shooting hand in a horizontal manner...gives much more stability for recoil...
Old April 21, 2018, 11:03 PM   #63
Water-Man

You might also consider the LCR in .327 Federal Mag.

It will give you 6 rounds vs. 5 rounds in the .357 and less recoil. Not quite as powerful as the 357 but not far from it either.

I have both so I'm speaking from experience.
Old April 23, 2018, 04:06 PM   #64
dgludwig

How does the recoil compare between the two (.327 Mag. vs .357 Mag.) in the LCR revolvers, Water-Man? Thanks.
Old April 23, 2018, 04:54 PM   #65
Water-Man

^^ The .327 Fed Mag is similar, depending on the ammo used, to a .38spl +P.^^
Old April 23, 2018, 05:29 PM   #66
dgludwig

^^So less recoil than the .357 Magnum but still pretty stout. I've always liked the idea of having 20% more ammunition in similar size and weight snub-nose revolvers (i.e., the Colt Cobra/Agent vs a Smith Airweight J-frame). Thanks, Water-Man. ^^
Old April 23, 2018, 06:28 PM   #67
WheelGunMan

The .327 is a great caliber with a wide range of ammo choices. The only downside is ammo availability and price.
Old April 23, 2018, 07:30 PM   #68
jimbob86

Quote:
The .327 is a great caliber with a wide range of ammo choices. The only downside is ammo availability and price.
Much louder than a similar. .357, IME. More flash, more bang. The full power loadings run at 45K psi..... if house gun is the idea, not a good choice.
Old April 23, 2018, 10:39 PM   #69
Water-Man

^^Well, this thread is about the LCR 357 Mag which is not considered very quiet either.^^
Old May 14, 2018, 06:18 AM   #70
Ledslnger

I have an LCR in .38 Special and like it for Home defense.
Old May 16, 2018, 07:36 AM   #71
Hal

I prefer something more substantial for HD.
I mean seriously - - this is my home - where my wife and I & our dogs, eat sleep and live - my grandson is a frequent overnight guest.

My home is my 2100 sq feet of the universe. If the sanctity of my home is violated by anyone that means to do harm to me or my wife - - then it's a no holds barred, gloves are off, just about anything goes.

If I use a small gun, like an LCR - or even my .45 acp Shield for that matter,,,if/when I've shot the gun dry & a threat still exists (ex. home invasion by multiple people), I want something in my hands that I can still continue the fight with.

An empty 6" barreled revolver still makes a decent club - as does a carbine.
A snubby? Hmm, I don't think so...

I would almost prefer a .22 semi auto rifle, such as a Marlin M60.
That's just me though & I have the luxury to buy what I feel best suits my HD situation.
Old May 17, 2018, 09:55 PM   #72
Doc Holliday 1950

I've had a LCR in 357 magnum snub & it was a real pain in the rear for accuracy. You have to put serious time into practice practice practice .
I am no expert but I realize that using at least a Ruger 3" or Smith 3" in 357 magnum and your choice of using 38 spec. P+' ammo is my idea of a good home SD weapon. If you live in a house and have no children, then a shot gun isn't a bad choice either.

Doc
Old May 17, 2018, 10:42 PM   #73
Bill DeShivs

This is why I don't hang around gun shops much.
Guys are opinionated-especially guys who are all ego and short on intelligence.
I'd probably get my ass kicked a lot.
There have been some very good suggestions in this thread, and there have been some laughable ones.
Any decent .38/.357 revolver is a serious weapon. If you can't shoot a short-barelled one at home defense ranges, you need LOTS of practice.
.38 Special-regular old .38 Special, not +P, you know- the weak .38 Special- is a fine round for home defense.

My side of the bed has a S&W 642, and my wife's side has an engraved Charter Undercover. I have lots of guns to choose from, and we use a couple of 2" barreled .38s.
Old May 19, 2018, 08:06 AM   #74
Hal

Quote:
This is why I don't hang around gun shops much.
Guys are opinionated-especially guys who are all ego and short on intelligence.
I'd probably get my ass kicked a lot.
Seriously?
Either you shop at some unsavory gun shops, you're buying out of someone's trunk in some alley in the hood or.....that's just so much empty bravado (the type you seem to object to in others)- - or ,,,

FWIW -I've never been in a gun store where I felt at all like I was physically threatened by anyone - staff or customer.

Quote:
Any decent .38/.357 revolver is a serious weapon. If you can't shoot a short-barelled one at home defense ranges, you need LOTS of practice.
.38 Special-regular old .38 Special, not +P, you know- the weak .38 Special- is a fine round for home defense.
I don't really see anywhere in this thread where that's questioned at all.
I said I prefer something more substantial - but - that was more in reference to the small revolver, not the caliber.
Small frame revolvers and I don't play well together.
I'm delighted you can use one.

My first choice for HD?
Simple - - the neighborhood I live in.
I paid and continue to pay dearly for where I live because our crime index is a fraction of what the national average is.
We've lived here for over 30 years & it cost us everything we could scrape together to buy the place.
In the 30 plus years we've lived here, there has been a grand total of - 2 murders.

I view that as - - if someone is in my house, posing a threat to me or mine - - it's probably a very personal thing & that person (or persons) aren't going to run away at the sight or sound of a gun.

Last edited by Hal; May 19, 2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 19, 2018, 02:09 PM   #75
Bill DeShivs

No, not seriously, Hal.

I live in a very nice, upscale neighborhood, too. If I didn't I would probably switch to 3" barreled guns.....