The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 18, 2018, 02:26 AM   #1
Ignition Override

Israeli Sig P228 "Trade-Ins". How is typical function?

My three Sigs are all very nice Non-Israeli examples, with the Kiel Germany proof marks (the bug).

The photos of two available ex-Israeli examples show very dinged and scraped-up external components. I would not mind one as a range gun, if pretty reliable, but don't want any appreciable risk of needing one
shipped to Sig to make it operate ($).
Also, they must have replaced the original Arabic serial #s on the slides with Hebrew numbers etc. Impossible to determine whether matching unless one can read Hebrew symbols.

**But Did the Israeli armorers repair and replace any malfunctioning springs or other parts before the guns were exported to the US?

It's very doubtful that any of you have seen more than one of these 'in the flesh', unless you lived in Israel.
My handgun instructor lives there and is difficult to reach. Very busy times when you are a part-time security officer.
Old April 18, 2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Fishbed77

I can't speak to ex-Israeli P228s, but I own a surplus Mach 1-imported P226 that was supposedly an Israeli LEO/corrections officer-issued pistol.

The exterior was pretty rough when I received it (appeared to have been dropped and scraped up a few times), but the internals all looked excellent, and the pistol was obviously well-maintained.

I cleaned the pistol, replaced all springs, and touched up the finish a bit. It looks decent now and has run flawlessly for as long as I've owned it.
Old April 18, 2018, 05:00 PM   #3
P-35HP

I would address any questions related to work done on the guns to the vendor. Personally I have seen two or three examples and they did not look good, no idea about internals. In general, Israelis are keeping their guns in very good working order.
Please post pictures of the gun you are looking at, I might be able to help with translation. There its no such a think as Hebrew numbers.They use Arab numbers too.
Old April 18, 2018, 06:31 PM   #4
jonnyc

I am a Hebrew speaker and IDF vet, if that can help get you the info you need. FWIW, yes, Arabic numbers are usually used, but letters can be used as numbers also.
Post a pic.
Old April 18, 2018, 11:29 PM   #5
Ibmikey

I have many Israeli used pistols and none exhibit anything other than light use when inspecting the interior. The exterior does take a bit of abuse but normally will clean up quickly, my Hi Powers had the enamel removed and lightly polished before being given a “ service blue” and now are hard to tell from a new issue from FN.
Buy the pistol they will not be around for much longer.
Old April 19, 2018, 05:30 AM   #6
PzGren

The proof house wasn't in Kiel but in Eckernförde until end of last year. It was in the basement of SIG Sauer but with SIG Sauers demise got closed.
Old April 19, 2018, 08:34 AM   #7
WVsig

If you are talking about the CDI guns they will run but not be pretty. The IDF guns and other Israeli trade ins they get are properly graded and function. That said those guns look pretty rough.

Old April 19, 2018, 08:36 AM   #8
LBussy

Where are these guns being offered?
Old April 21, 2018, 07:42 AM   #9
tallball

I have several Israeli surplus pistols. They all arrived worn on the outside and nice on the inside.