The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 25, 2018, 08:07 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Pretty neat speed loader video.

I love these old police videos and this one has some utility for us wheel gunners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2B48FmLkys
Old March 26, 2018, 04:43 AM   #2
UncleEd

The technique nowadays is to release the
ammo from the speed loader and then
immediately let go of it while closing the
cylinder. In the video the trooper holds
the speed loader to drop it in an aside
motion.
Old March 26, 2018, 07:48 AM   #3
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd
let go of it while closing the
cylinder.
+1. Simply let go of it, and the action of closing the cylinder will clear the speed loader. Also, close the cylinder with the butt of your weak thumb while raising the gun back to position.

And as long as we're talking about double tasks, note in the video where the narrator tells you to hit the ejector while reaching for a speed loader with the other hand (see pic). I emphasized the important part because the narrator made it a bit subtle. This double task timesaver is one of the advantages of the FBI reload. And be sure to hit that ejector with some authority, though (lest a case gets hung up), and get that muzzle as close to vertical as you can without breaking the 180 (see pic again).

Old March 28, 2018, 06:26 PM   #4
UncleEd

So, two days after the initial posting,
I realized---am getting old--that in the
first instance the trooper made a mistake
while getting cartridges from his drop
pouch.

While he did a quick looksee after loading two,
he tried to fumble in the remaining four.
He should have settled for a partial reload,
maybe one more and then close the cylinder.
Old March 30, 2018, 09:47 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

I see what you guys mean about "how to let go of the speed loader."

I should get a chance to shoot tomorrow but I won't have any speed loaders.
Old March 30, 2018, 11:29 PM   #6
AzShooter

That was a great video to show you how to start. Safariland now offers their Comp III speed loader which is even faster to load with. Get a few and practice with them. You will like them a lot.
Old March 30, 2018, 11:40 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

"Comp 3" is that made for a J-frame?

I bought some Rem Oil today from Midwayusa to oil my straight razor, I should have bought some speed loaders too!

What do you guys think of this Massad Ayoob video, "Stressfire Reload?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA
Old March 30, 2018, 11:45 PM   #8
Model12Win

I prefer Mas Ayoob's "Stressfire" system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA

Has worked well for me for many years, and avoids such problems as sticking cases in the chambers that can be tough to clear with just the thumb.
Old March 31, 2018, 02:03 PM   #9
MrBorland

There's nothing wrong with the Stressfire reload, but the FBI reload is faster, and in competition (which sounds like what you're interested in), revolver shooters live and die by the reload. Some very excellent shooters don't use the FBI reload, but it certainly has it's advantages.

In competition, you'd be shooting a gun with a full-length ejector and ejecting .38 special cases, which are shorter than .357mags, so as long as you hit that ejector authoritatively, you shouldn't have an issue. If you do have issue, it's a user issue. Practice your reloads at home with dummy rounds in the speed loader and dirty (and not resized) cases in the gun. Practicing with only the dummy rounds can lead to a lazy thumb.

Keeping your gun (and chambers) clean helps, too. I ran plated bullets over Clays and never had an issue with my chambers getting sticky, even over the course of a long sanctioned match or practice session.

They make (or used to) CompIIIs for j-frames, but I really don't see the point, since the CompIIIs are really meant for competition (and 5-shot J-frames aren't). Also check out some Jetloaders (my preference). Slightly more expensive than CompIIIs, but IME, work a smidgen better.

Last edited by MrBorland; March 31, 2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old April 1, 2018, 05:10 AM   #10
In The Ten Ring

I practiced the Stressfire and my own version of these yesterday, although without speed loaders.

I'm not so much interested in winning matches as I am getting good experience in competition and winning the fight, if and when that occurs.
Old April 2, 2018, 07:35 AM   #11
Don P

Quote:
"Comp 3" is that made for a J-frame
NO it is not
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 2, 2018, 08:07 AM   #12
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
NO it is not
I thought I had a 5-shot J-frame CompIII, but as it turns out, it was a Jetloader, which I prefer to CompIIIs anyway . So, it's possible CompIIIs aren't available for J-frames after all.
Old April 2, 2018, 10:02 AM   #13
HighValleyRanch

MrBorland,
do you advise using the "thumb ejection" method for snub nose revolvers with short ejectors? Or is this mainly used for competition revolvers?
Old April 2, 2018, 10:46 AM   #14
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch
do you advise using the "thumb ejection" method for snub nose revolvers with short ejectors? Or is this mainly used for competition revolvers?
The FBI "thumb" method isn't for competition only, but once you get into short ejector rods (and/or magnum-length cases), the margin of error gets thinner. If that short ejector rod is attached to a SD gun, I'd place a premium on reliability and would certainly consider the Stressfire reload if I were having issues with the FBI reload.
Old April 2, 2018, 11:10 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

I was taught to use a speedloader at the academy and was pretty fast. BTW, in the opening of the video, the trooper was loading and flanked by the assailant. We lost a fellow in San Francisco that way. He wasn't trained to do head shots (failure drill) and planted all six shots into the center mass. The assailant was wearing body armor and shot the officer when he was bent down reloading just like in the video.
Old April 6, 2018, 11:51 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

I was taught to use a speedloader at the academy and was pretty fast. BTW, in the opening of the video, the trooper was loading and flanked by the assailant. We lost a fellow in San Francisco that way. He wasn't trained to do head shots (failure drill) and planted all six shots into the center mass. The assailant was wearing body armor and shot the officer when he was bent down reloading just like in the video.

That sucks. I hope the bad guy met with Justice.

When I shot for my CCW in 1996, the range officer was also the county department training officer. He stood next to the target and said "two shots to the chest and if he doesn't go down, take out the computer" while he drew a white "X" on the forehead in chalk.

I ordered 3 Safarilands each for both the J-frame and the Model 66. Next step is to get a belt holster for the 66 and speed loader carriers.
Old April 10, 2018, 08:16 AM   #17
Viper225

Safariland makes Comp III's for K and L Frames. The L Frame size also fits the GP100.

The SP101/J Frame spring loaded loaders were Jet Loaders which are now out of production.

The best bet for a J Frame or SP101 today would be one of the turn knob design. Something to keep in mind is the direction the knob turns to release the ammunition.

If you have them for multiple guns, make sure they all turn the same direction.

HKS Speed Loaders Release with Clock Wise Turn
5 Star and the new Pachmayr Competition Speed Loaders Release with a Counter Clockwise Turn

I would plan on staying with the same release direction on all speed loaders you own, unless you just use them for Load and Make Ready.

Bob R
Old April 10, 2018, 09:13 AM   #18
TRX

One of the niftiest speed loaders I ever saw was a guy using a Desert Eagle .357 magazine with a revolver. He just thumbed the cartridges out into the chamber. Not as fast as the circular Prideaux style speed loaders, but more convenient to carry.

I bought some of the Bianchi Speed Strips once, and never could get the knack of them. The cartridges came out of the strips in my pocket, and listed at odd angles to the cylinder when I tried to do the preferred "two at a time" insertion.
Old April 10, 2018, 09:45 AM   #19
UncleEd

Using an auto's mags as a convenient
cartridge holder for a revolver is an old
trick.

With the Blackhawk convertible, using the
.45 ACP cylinder, 1911 mags can be used
as a handy way of carrying reloads. I've
done it. Ditto for 9 mm mags as a way
of carrying spare ammo for a Blackhawk
with 9 mm cylinder.

True, fellow shooters might see you with
a sixgun on your hip and 1911 pouches
on your belt and think you a bit looney.
Explain you've converted your revolver
to automatic. Say no more.
Old April 10, 2018, 09:57 AM   #20
HighValleyRanch

I tried using my Smith 52 magazine in that way to load the new HST micro wadcutter .38's into my LCR's. But it was slower than using a speedstrip and that magazine only holds five so there was no real advantage.
Old April 11, 2018, 06:09 PM   #21
JERRYS.

I was issued Comp IIs with my 681 in 1991, I was fairly quick with them.

I prefer the Comp Is over the HKS for my J frames.
Old April 11, 2018, 07:38 PM   #22
HighValleyRanch

I like the German (Longwitz) SL Variants and have them for my LCR's and Security six. Very fast and I like the shooting of the cartridges into the chambers by the spring action.
But they need more clearance in the grip area to work properly. They have to go in pretty straight.
And...they are very hard to find.
Old April 11, 2018, 10:48 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

I guess I'm just SOL...

All of my defensive revolvers are chambered for .327 Federal.
That means 6-shot "J-frame" equivalent; and custom, twist-lock speedloaders.

He who lives by the sword...

Nah. Screw that. I've decided that I need a .44 Special for the job. Easier on the ears. Plenty deadly. Not too bulky.