The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
baddarryl

Book Recommendations?

As someone who has been carrying for a year now with no training other than spending (way to much) time on these forums what can you guys recommend from a professional point of view? Looking at some of Masaad Ayoobs stuff and wondering what would be best. I compete in IDPA, am a decent shot and am very comfortable as I have shot all my life. I have always had a HD pistol, but made the decision to carry last year after a friend of mine was murdered. I posted another thread about walking into my house after leaving the door open recently which could or could not leave one to vulnerabilities. In other words it got me rethinking the whole situation. I want to be the most responsible and prepared CCW holder I can be. What books are out that that address this kind of mentality? I am interested in formal training, but haven't look locally yet. I would like to get started by reading some stuff. Thanks.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:19 PM   #2
ApexAchilles

I will say I am a fan of Ayoob, he seems to fore go any tough guy stuff and also is very knowledgeable about laws and the like.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; December 4, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Rules
Old December 4, 2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Ayoob's book, In The Gravest Extreme, The Role of the Firearm in Personal Defense, is highly respected.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:34 PM   #4
baddarryl

Just ordered In the Gravest Extreme. Thanks.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
MTHall720

I have been a gun guy since my Uncle (USMC) taught me in the 60's as a kid. In the Gravest Extreme is an Excellent resource and very well respected.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:01 AM   #6
wizrd

" Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights -- Lessons and Tales from a Modern-Day Gunfighter " by Jim Cirillo. Highly decorated officer of an elite unit of the NYPD.
Highly recommended. Lots of eye-opening observation from one who 'has seen the elephant.'
Old December 8, 2012, 03:50 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like Ayoob's books. I highly recommend anything by Louis Awerbuck.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Terry A

In The Gravest Extreme was the best over-all for what you're looking for.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old December 9, 2012, 12:16 PM   #9
ltc444

I all ways recommend Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner". Jordan is one of the last of the gunfighters.

For one of the best gun books on safety and a really great read, is Skeeter Skelton's book on misses.

Last edited by ltc444; December 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Remove politically incorrect typo
Old December 9, 2012, 12:50 PM   #10
pax

Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry by Mas Ayoob provides an excellent overview of many different concealed carry topics, with good pictures of various carry methods along with thorough discussions of each method's pros & cons. Strongly recommended.

The Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird offers solid lessons woven in with engaging stories about how people defended themselves using handguns. Again, strongly recommended.

(Disclaimer: this one's mine.) The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry by Kathy Jackson gives a lot of practical info for female shooters, and a lot of general information including ethical, social, moral, and legal considerations of using deadly force that should be helpful for both men and women.

pax
Old December 9, 2012, 04:00 PM   #11
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc444
I all ways recommend Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner". Jordan is one of the last of the gunfighters.
The above book and Ed McGivern's "Fast and Fancy Revovler" shooting are two of the first true "gun books" I ever bought.

Highly recommend both of them, for both the practical wisdom put forth in them and as a great historical record of the last great gun slingers.

Colonel Askins wrote a great book too, "Unrepenant Sinner", and while long on stories and gunning and soldiering, it has very little in the way of practical advice, but still a great read.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:27 AM   #12
Baba Louie

Rory Miller's books, David Grossman's, Gavin de Becker to name a few other authors, all have useful knowledge.

Coopers old book Principles of Personal Defense... buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Per...ef=pd_sim_b_21
That Amazon link will take you to other related books, most listed in the above posts.

As Ayoob points out, you really need to know your State's laws on the subject along with the fact that an attorney who knows the subject is going to be paramount in the event you actually use lethal force and how to deal with the aftermath. So maybe something from Alan Korwins group as well.

And just because... Sun Tzu, The Art of War has age old wisdom worth taking to heart (he wrote a little while before firearm use became the norm ).
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old December 10, 2012, 12:49 PM   #13
pax

Strong agreement with Rory Miller's material. His books -- Meditations on Violence, Facing Violence, and Scaling Force -- are all excellent explorations of very critical concepts in self defense.

If you have time for only one of Rory's books, I'd recommend Facing Violence. Lots of excellent, excellent information and a bajillion "ah ha!" moments.

pax
Old December 11, 2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Gaerek

Something that I haven't seen mentioned is a book of gun laws pertaining to your particular state. As far as I know, there are books for just about every state that has most or all of that particular states gun laws, plus an easier to read and understand non-legalese explanation of the laws.

The Arizona Gun Owners Guide book helped me from getting in trouble. I had been under the impression that I could go onto school property (had to drop off and pick up my daughter from pre-school, located on a high school campus) with my gun as long as I had a permit. I could have it on in the car, but if I left the car I'd have to take it off and put it out of sight and lock the car. Well, after reading that I found out that the gun had to be unloaded prior to entering school property, regardless of anything else. If I had been caught, that little indiscretion could have been really bad for me.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Baba Louie

Quote:
Something that I haven't seen mentioned is a book of gun laws pertaining to your particular state.
Quote:
...you really need to know your State's laws on the subject along with the fact that an attorney who knows the subject is going to be paramount in the event you actually use lethal force and how to deal with the aftermath. So maybe something from Alan Korwins group as well.
You mean like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Laws-Ameri...5252174&sr=1-2
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old December 11, 2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Gaerek

Quote:
You mean like this?
That's a book on Federal laws. It's my belief that for most users, state laws are far more important to know that Federal laws. Most federal laws pertain to importation, sales, etc...all of which are already taken care of when you walk out of the store with your gun. Of course, that's not all of them and there are some you need to know...like whether you can give your brother in Washington your handgun, even though you live in Idaho. And the Federal bans in Federal building too.

Most Federal laws are very general (not all, of course). State laws are usually much more specific and expand on some of the general federal laws. Which is why I recommended a book specifically about state laws...such as (if you're from Arizona):

http://www.amazon.com/The-Arizona-Gu...+guide+arizona

There's books for practically every state, and I know that particular book actually goes into federal laws that are pertinent as well.