The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 23, 2009, 02:07 PM   #1
flyguyskt

Wyoming fish n game dept

has anyone here tried to navigate the wyoming fish and game website? I just tried and now feel as though someone has given me a labotomy!

soooo i called them...wow rude people...the guy actually told me to shut up and listen...seriously? and you want me to spend my 500$ on an elk tag...hmmm guess i wont hunt wyoming in the near future.
Old July 23, 2009, 03:05 PM   #2
VaFisher

Sounds like the guy was missing lunch talking or something alone those lines. Very rude of a professional to act like that, I believe I would have gotten a name to report him so he would learn fron the his boss.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Daryl

Aw, he was likely just having a bad day.

Don't let him cause the same for you.

Daryl
Old July 23, 2009, 08:24 PM   #4
bswiv

I had a similar situation with the South Dakota web site a couple of weeks ago while applying for licences.

One differenc though was that when I finnaly admitted defeat and call them the guy I got on the phone took the time to walk me through it.

You're right in that public employees should treat we citizens more like consumers. My experences with the Florida FWC has been uniform in that they ALWAYS have appeared to be trying to do good for hunters/fishermen.

Must be some direction and attitude from the top that causes it to work out that way.

Hopefully the poor service you got was a fluke..........
Old July 24, 2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Interesting. I've hunted out there several times and my experience with their Fish and Game Dept has been excellent. I'm guessing you just go lucky and got the jerk.
Old July 24, 2009, 08:52 AM   #6
flyguyskt

well maybe i'll give it another shot and hope i get someone different.

BSWIV: where you planning to hunt in South Dakota? and what game?
Old July 24, 2009, 01:43 PM   #7
bswiv

flyguyskt:

Going the first of November to Vivian for pheasants. Also purchased duck licenses because the farmer who's land we will be on says that there are a fair number of ducks that can be jump-shot from some of his ponds.

The last couple of years we hunted in Gregory but unfortuinately the old farmer, a third generation SD farmer at that!, up and passed on this spring. Had to go looking for a new place.

Obviously don't know how the new guy will turn out to be but he has good references. We're kind of odd for pheasant hunters in that it's always just me and Louann and we want to hunt not drink.

Last season we ran the poor guide raggid. Had him out at daylight so we could shoot grouse ( What a different experence that was! ), then went and chased pheasants most of the afternoons and finished up the day trying to flush a jack rabbit or back to the grouse field.

Here in Fl we just do not have that kind of hunting..............
Old July 24, 2009, 09:07 PM   #8
flyboy14

Guy was probably having a bad day. BTW pheasant around Vivian should be good. We go to sure shot lodge once a year (company trip) good hunting. Living here, hunting public ground, then going to a lodge, it's a treat. Don't know if that's where your heading, if it is, you will enjoy it. If not, I recomend them. flyboy
Old July 24, 2009, 09:23 PM   #9
elkman06

Quote:
guess i wont hunt wyoming in the near future.
Well, that is one option, or you could ask if someone from Wyo could help you w/ the website and your question......

elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 24, 2009, 09:36 PM   #10
bswiv

flyboy:

We are hunting the Smith Ranch............ Last couple of years at Gregory the hunting was, as if I would really know this having only done it a couple of times, at least it seemed to me to be good. Saw plenty of birds. If our ability to use a shotgun was not so pathetic limits would have come rather quickly. As it was we had to walk a little further.

Do you know of the Smith Ranch?
Old July 25, 2009, 04:41 PM   #11
flyboy14

I have heard of the smith ranch. Haven't been there, but have talked to other folks who say it is good. Pretty hard to go wrong in that part of the state. The only real differences in a lot of the pheasant farms is the personality of the guides, and the accomodations. You should have a good time. The bird numbers last year were good, even hunting public ground my bunch did well. Best of luck to you and enjoy the ringnecks. flyboy
Old July 25, 2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Fat White Boy

I have had good experiences with the Nevada Department of Wildlife both on-line and in person in the field. They can be impatient with us Californians but the two guys I have met in the field were polite and patient...
Old July 26, 2009, 12:28 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
soooo i called them...wow rude people...the guy actually told me to shut up and listen...seriously? and you want me to spend my 500$ on an elk tag...hmmm guess i wont hunt wyoming in the near future.
I've called them three times (once, just last week). They were always polite and as helpful as they could be, given the situation.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:18 PM   #14
flyguyskt

my guess is that the guy i got on the phone...girlfriend or wife just told him she was having an affair with his brother and that the brother was much more of a man...

so he was mad cuzz i sounded like his brother.

on the confusion. it is about the dates....they have an archery "addition" tag system. so you have to apply for a rifle tag then pay extra 30 bucks for the archery extra permit...but i can't find any dates for the archery?
Old July 27, 2009, 09:39 PM   #15
elkman06

PM answered Flyguy.

elkman06

Old July 27, 2009, 09:46 PM   #16
liberty1

Surprising. I hunt Wyoming every year as a non resident and have never encountered such helpful and friendly people. Phone calls, regional offices and officers in the field have all been great.
My son accidentally left his jacket in the Laramie office and they mailed it back to me no charge without even asking.
I would call again and give them another chance.
Old July 27, 2009, 11:03 PM   #17
Crankylove

I hunt as a non-resident in Wyoming every year as well, and have never had a bad experience with the people I talk to either on the phone, or in person. I apply for my tags online, and have never really had an issue there either.
Old July 28, 2009, 07:58 AM   #18
Doodlebugger45

Up until a couple months ago I couldn't say that I had ever really had any encounters at all with our state G&F people either good or bad. But I had a very positive experience in May with a lady in their Cheyenne office. I had sent in my deer and elk applications and I had made an invalid entry for my hunting area choice. The lady took the time to actually call me on my cell phone to tell me about the mistake. It was the final day to apply so I couldn't fix it on my own. She asked me what I really wanted and she fixed it herself and put the application into the drawing the right way. Thanks to her I drew a license in the area I wanted, so come October I'll be hunting elk instead of watching TV. I would have just figured that if I screwed up my application they would have simply tossed it because they have a bunch of them to get into the system.
Old July 28, 2009, 09:26 PM   #19
elkman06

Quote:
had made an invalid entry for my hunting area choice.The lady took the time to actually call me on my cell phone to tell me about the mistake
They do this regularly. They called my Mother for the same reason on a Sat.
elkman06

Old July 28, 2009, 11:15 PM   #20
flyguyskt

like i said i just am the lucky guy that gets the Ahole at the wrong momernt. i am trying again tomorrow!