The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 24, 2007, 05:26 PM   #1
dalegribble

Uberti Open Top Cartridge Replicas

I have been noticing more movies with open top cartridge revolvers (1851, 1869 etc). Uberti has these available now and I wonder if anyone is using them in CAS. They look pretty damn cool and I wouldn't mind having one myself.Any reports?
Old August 27, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2
timothy75

Like most replicas they can be a little finicky, but usually run well. I have three and they all have their own personality. I'm pretty hard on mine and they've kept up well.
Old August 29, 2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Captain America

I'm considering getting a Uberti 1860 Army Conversion revolver. I've also
noticed them in a lot of movies lately. Check out Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider
and Outlaw Josey Wales.

Are they as durable as regular "closed top" revolvers? Are they really
intended for shooting or just more for collectors?

Can't find much info on them anywhere. I've read that from 1870 to the
late 1880's they were just as popular as Colt SAA's in the old west.
Old September 4, 2007, 12:07 PM   #4
SundownRider

These guns are not as strong as your full-framed revolvers, but the replicas are made well and hold up well to shooting. The caveat is to not try to hot-rod and loads in them, as they do not have the strength of the top strap. They were initially offered in only 38spl, but the line has been fully expanded to include 44 Colt, 44 Russian, 44 Special, 45 Schofield, and 45 Colt.

There's a Spaghetti Western version available from Cimarron, called the "Man with no name"

My CAS buddies who shoot Duelist love them and say they point better than SAA's
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old September 4, 2007, 02:23 PM   #5
marcseatac

I like mine. 1860 .45 SW Schofield 5 1/2 barrel. It shoots straight.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,280.html
Old September 4, 2007, 03:14 PM   #6
marcseatac

I'll throw in some details. It has a very nice trigger. I would guess about 2 lbs pull. The pistol has a forged frame and seems to be heavily constructed. The case hardening and bluing are excellant almost as good as I have seen.

When I first shot mine it locked up. A small jewelers file on a sharp edge on the loading gate fixed that for good. I want another one and I see an open top 1871-1872 that does not have percussion parts. Might look into it. These guns are Uberti's or Aldo Uberti replicas. I'm planning on taking great care of mine and shooting it sparingly kind of a collector piece that shoots occasionally. I've got enough guns that this one doesn't need to be torture tested.