The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2014, 10:38 PM   #1
KnotRight

What to shoot first?

I stopped reloading about 18 years ago and started back early this year.

When I started reloading in college (around 1975) to about 1999, I loaded a ton of 38 and 357s and still have a bunch loaded.

From around 2000 to early this year I bought factory ammo. After starting to reload again I have reloaded a bunch of 9s and 45s and a few 38 and 357s.

When going to the range, I figure that I would shoot some of the older 38s and 357s but would you shoot factory loaded 9s and 45s before you shoot your reloads? I am talking about lead SWC/RN and FMJ rounds.
Old September 3, 2014, 11:03 PM   #2
serf 'rett

My thoughts - shoot the older reloads first, then whichever you want of the factory and new reloads.

I have factory ammo that's been sitting on the shelf for several years, because the loads I developed for IDPA are tuned for the game.
Old September 4, 2014, 05:45 AM   #3
Sevens

If you are at a range and you brought with you SOME ammo with lead bullets and SOME ammo with jacketed bullets, it's best to shoot all the jacketed ammo up before any of the lead and then be sure to clean the bore thoroughly after the lead ammo and before you put jacketed through it again.

Not all lead ammo fouls a bore and leaves lead deposits, but some can, and shooting jacketed ammo after it can be problematic.
Old September 4, 2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Jim243

Not sure what your question is? If it is would you shoot the older ammo first, then yes that would make sense.

I usually have a similar problem, my older reloads get put into the back of my cabinets and the more recent ones up front. So the more recent ones get shot first. Since all reloads are within the last 10 years, I guess that it is not a problem. But it does show that I need to go through everything and start a rotation on what is stored where.

Thanks
Jim
Old September 4, 2014, 11:37 AM   #5
KnotRight

Jim,

The question is, do you shoot factory target loads or reloads first?

I have not reloaded a bunch of 38s and 357s because of the old inventory that I have on hand. Back when, I did not reload 9s or 45s.
Old September 4, 2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Nick_C_S

A little off topic

Quote:
it's best to shoot all the jacketed ammo up before any of the lead and then be sure to clean the bore thoroughly after the lead ammo and before you put jacketed through it again.

Not all lead ammo fouls a bore and leaves lead deposits, but some can, and shooting jacketed ammo after it can be problematic.
I agree with this. And it's good advice. But. . .

. . . I've done it the other way around (shoot jackets after lead to clear the bore of lead and make cleaning much easier) for decades without any trouble. All my bores are shiny and smooth. And yes, I know, this is probably not good practice. I just wanted to share my experience. My point being, from my experience, it doesn't seem to be all that critical; one way or another.
Old September 4, 2014, 01:33 PM   #7
mikld

Good practice or not, I shoot jacketed and nekkid lead almost interchangeably. I've not had any accuracy problems and no leading/fouling to speak of. I usually take a lot more ammo to the range than I'm gonna shoot, mostly to insure I'll shoot some of my older stuff too, and a couple weeks ago I shot up 1/2 box of .44 Magnums I reloaded in '96. My reloads usually don't last that long but these were specifically loaded for my Contender...
Old September 4, 2014, 01:39 PM   #8
Jim243

Quote:
old inventory that I have on hand
Shoot this first then clean the gun.

Jim