The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 15, 2011, 08:20 AM   #26
Jamie B

Quote:
If you have a gun, why do you need to stock food and water for a survivalist situation?
Right! Just a friend or neighbor with provisions.....and no gun!
Old February 15, 2011, 06:43 PM   #27
silentargus

I regret the necessity of living in a carry-unfriendly state that doesn't recognize my FL permit. I do not regret obtaining it and I carry everywhere I am legally able to.

Just getting the permit jacked up my situational awareness... before I got it, I thought nothing of walking around with earbuds and music all the time. I haven't done that once since I got my permit, even when I can't carry. I started thinking about what I could do to defend myself when I couldn't carry- and now I have a can of pepper spray in my coat pocket. I changed where I carry my phone so that my off-hand could reach for it in the event that my dominant hand was otherwise occupied. I changed the way I dress and how I walk so that I won't come across as some lowlife punk packing heat in the event that I get made by someone. I notice things I never would have seen before- even things with absolutely no relevance to self-defense; the scenery looks a lot better when you look at it once in a while instead of slouching around from one place to another.

Bottom line, getting that permit was and is one of the best changes I've made in my life. It's not just a card, it's the whole attitude and the responsibility that goes with it. It doesn't have to be a burden, and if you take the time to really think about it the mental and behavioral changes needed to use your CCW responsibly have a lot of positive effects on everyday life as well.
Old February 15, 2011, 07:39 PM   #28
jglsprings

You said:

Quote:
Quote:
If you have a gun, why do you need to stock food and water for a survivalist situation?

Right! Just a friend or neighbor with provisions.....and no gun!
And one of my favorite TFL sigs...

Quote:
Mike Irwin
Coworkers. A convenient source of food in a post-apocalyptic world.
Circle of life!

Commas save lives...
Old February 15, 2011, 08:50 PM   #29
oden

I cant see you having regrets knowing that you now can protect your wife and familey if needed.
I have carried for over 30 years and find myself to be much more aware of all the little things and people that are around you daily.
Take a class with a good instructor.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:52 PM   #30
Jeremiah/Az

I have noticed that carrying has made me much more tolerant of people who do rude or insulting things. Bad drivers,crowding pushy people, now I just smile & move on. I do not want to be in a confrontation if I can help it.
Old February 18, 2011, 07:33 AM   #31
threegun

Quote:
Because of this resolution, I now pay attention to where I'm going, and what my surroundings are, I do more to avoid situations where I might be put in danger, and I am quick to disarm my temper as well. Am I safer when I carry a deadly weapon? Yes! But not because of the weapon.
Beautiful.
Old February 18, 2011, 07:57 AM   #32
CajunBass

None at all.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 18, 2011, 09:39 AM   #33
Cheapshooter

Why would anybody have regrets about exercising their constitutional rights? Other than the fact that if the constitution were followed as written the permit would not be required!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 18, 2011, 11:33 AM   #34
BGutzman

My Regrets.....

I regret that I didnt do it two decades ago.

I regret that I need a permit to carry because people dont understand what "shall not be infringed means"

I regret that open carry of a weapon isnt considered as normal as breathing.

I regret that every american hasn't take the time to go to learn about guns in a safe range environment.

These are my regrets...

Last edited by BGutzman; February 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old February 18, 2011, 04:24 PM   #35
therewolf

Well said, BGutzman! X2!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old February 18, 2011, 05:25 PM   #36
Stevie-Ray

No regrets, only thrills that my state finally saw the light. I now think a bit about maybe having to defend my actions in court, but it pales in comparison to thinking about dying at the mercy of some creep and leaving my handicapped wife to fend for herself.