The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 24, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1
DiverDwn

Holster for TT-33?

I bought a Romanian because it seems like a great pistol for concealed carry (dissenting opinions are very welcome) but I don't see anywhere online to buy a more contemporary holster. Anyone specialize in C&R leather?
Old October 24, 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

A quick search on Google says that most 1911 holsters fit the TT-33. Might be worth a try. Custom is always an option.

TK
Old October 24, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3
DiverDwn

I didn't see what you found. Thanks for the input. Wouldn't a TT-33 rattle around in something made for a 1911? I don't own a 1911 and so I have nothing to compare.
Old October 24, 2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Tidewater_Kid

I would think it would depend on the holster. A hard plastic holster would be the least favorable fit. I have three TT-33, but I only have the military style holsters.

Try searching Google for "TT-33 modern holster".

TK
Old October 25, 2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
(dissenting opinions are very welcome)
I would not recomend any TT-33 for CCW. The trigger block safety added to gain enough points with the BATF for importation are unreliable at best. The only other safety is the half cock notch. There is no way to safely carry a Tokarev in condition one, and thumb cocking a weapon in a stressful situation can be problematic.
The availability of reliable self defense ammo is also a problem. Most 7.62X25 ammo is fmj, and with the high velocity of this round over penetration is a definite possibility.
If you want a C&R handgun for CCW the CZ 82 or P-64 would be a much better choice. JMHO
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 25, 2010, 12:05 PM   #6
DiverDwn

I saw a post in another forum where a guy removed that added safety completely and put in a flush mount machine screw. It was a really nice fix, since it was worthless and didn't work. I just liked the idea of a gun that powerful and slim as a CC. But you're probably right. Overpenetration it probably a limiting factor.

However, I would still like an open carry holster for when I go hunting.
Old October 25, 2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Hardcase

Without delving into the CCW thing, look for a holster for a Hi Power. It fit mine pretty well.
Old October 26, 2010, 04:31 AM   #8
DiverDwn

Thanks!
Old October 26, 2010, 06:21 AM   #9
mavracer

If your willing to dedicate time to learning the Tokarev IMHO it would make an adequate CCW, definitly not my first choice, But a nice slim package that packs quite a punch.
It is designed to be carried with a round chambered on half cock. The half cock safety also lockes the slide and blocks the trigger. The notch is robust and not likely to break and the rowl hammer is easy to manipulate. The draw is similar to a SA revolver and while it does take some practice, once mastered is quite fast.
as to SD ammo there is hollow point ammo avaliable Wolf makes one in their gold line that I've used in both my Tok and my CZ52. Also Reed's ammo in OK has some they load with Hornady XTPs that I'd sure take a look at if I was going to carry my Tok on a regular basis.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 26, 2010, 12:36 PM   #10
emcon5

Quote:
hollow point ammo avaliable Wolf makes one in their gold line that I've used in both my Tok and my CZ52. Also Reed's ammo in OK has some they load with Hornady XTPs that I'd sure take a look at if I was going to carry my Tok on a regular basis.
Will a Tok feed hollowpoints reliably? IIRC some older handguns have problems feeding them, because HPs really weren't around when the guns were designed.
Old October 26, 2010, 01:05 PM   #11
mavracer

Mine feeds Wolf 100%. I haven't tried any other.
Old October 26, 2010, 02:43 PM   #12
DiverDwn

Excellent info. Thank you. I had heard that expanding rounds were made in 7.62x25 and wondered if that would be a fix for the "not wanting to shoot extra people" problem.
Old October 27, 2010, 03:16 AM   #13
gyvel

Plenty of modern holsters on eBay.
Old October 27, 2010, 02:04 PM   #14
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
Will a Tok feed hollowpoints reliably?
I've owned 3 TT-33s and all of them fed the Wolf Gold HP ammo without any problem.
Old October 27, 2010, 05:37 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Maybe I have the wrong opinion of cheap ammo, but is Wolf reliable enough to trust your life to it as SD ammo? I base this doubt on failure to fire experience with wolf, and other cheap 7.62X39 ammo in both several SKS and AK rifles. Not a lot of FTF, but one is too many in SD ammo.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 27, 2010, 07:00 PM   #16
mavracer

Quote:
Maybe I have the wrong opinion of cheap ammo, but is Wolf reliable enough to trust your life to it as SD ammo?
I don't know if it makes any difference but the 7.62X25 HPs are the Gold line which is brass cased and boxer primed and reloadable brass.I've only shot a couple boxes, but have had no problems.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:05 PM   #17
kinoons

As noted the tt33 is a relatively unsafe and relatively large pistol for ccw. There is a lot of overpenetration potential, and An expensive round. You can carry it, and it beats a rock, but there are better options out there.
Old October 27, 2010, 10:24 PM   #18
mavracer

Quote:
As noted the tt33 is a relatively unsafe and relatively large pistol for ccw.
the tt33 is perfectly safe as designed it is designed to be carried on half cock.and Large? have you actually picked one up they are extremely slim.

Quote:
and An expensive round.
There's still mil-surp ammo avaliable for $100 for 1250 rounds that's a lot of practice on the cheap.The last HP ammo I bought was $17 for 50 rounds.

There might be better choices. But those aren't valid reasons. The Tok is accurate, reliable and powerful three qualitys I find important when choosing a CCW.
Old October 27, 2010, 11:59 PM   #19
B. Lahey

Quote:
is Wolf reliable enough to trust your life to it as SD ammo?
The "Wolf Gold" line is not made by any of the Russian companies that produce Wolf, it is made by Prvi and repackaged.

The Prvi 7.62x25mm HP ammunition is the mustard.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Wolf%208...per%20JHP.html
Old October 29, 2010, 05:26 PM   #20
publius

I had no idea that Prvi made the Wolf Gold. I would trust it completely knowing that.
Old October 29, 2010, 06:29 PM   #21
B. Lahey

I should add that I have had a chance to fire the Prvi HP ammunition from a variety of 7.62x25mm firearms (CZ52, Tokarev, goofball semiauto PPSh-41), and they have all functioned as well or better with the Prvi than with milsurp ball. It really doesn't have much of a hollowpoint, guess it doesn't need much to open up at 7.62tok velocities, so the profile of the projectile is pretty close to a FMJ. It has universally fed well for me.

Feeds nicely, goes bang, penetrates well but not ridiculously, expands pretty well even shot through a pile of jean jackets (see brassfetcher.com link), there really isn't anything about Prvi's "Wolf Gold" HP that I don't like except that I would have to carry a 7.62x25mm pistol to carry it.

Heck, I even use it as range ammo. I don't shoot enough 7.62tok since I got rid of the goofball PPSh for the price difference to matter.
Old October 30, 2010, 07:05 AM   #22
DiverDwn

As an attorney it's embarrassing to ask a legal question of laymen, but I am hoping for a starting point for my research. I don't do anything in this field.

I would like to remove the safety from the TT-33. This is one of those situations where it's going to be no problem or completely illegal. No middle ground.

Anyone familiar with statutory or case law regarding the alteration of the gun as well as liability for anyone injured by the gun after the safety was removed?
Old October 30, 2010, 07:15 AM   #23
mavracer

Quote:
I would like to remove the safety from the TT-33. This is one of those situations where it's going to be no problem or completely illegal. No middle ground.
It is perfectly legal for you to do so.
Quote:
Anyone familiar with statutory or case law regarding the alteration of the gun as well as liability for anyone injured by the gun after the safety was removed?
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....9&postcount=21