The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 27, 2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Target Hammer

M60 MG Info needed.

This complete M60, was Gold or Gold colored plated and mounted on a large plaque with an inscribed brass plate was awarded by the manufacturer to the Army Material Commander sometime in the 60's or 70's. This much I know for sure.
What I would like to know is how many manufactures built this model and can you tell by the picture exactly who built it?
Also, since it is a complete gun, and it has been kept in an office ever since and IF it was never registered back in 1968 can it be legally owned.
Any info on this gun and or situation would be appreciated. Thanks

Old February 27, 2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Mike Faires

If it is fact a fully functional M60 the owner has a problem. It is definatlly illegal to posses a un registered functional machine gun. Officer or not, no provision in the law for that. Determine what you have and if it is all there and functional I would get a lawyer specializing in firearms law (try the NRA) and arrange to surrender it to the ATF.
Old February 27, 2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Target Hammer

Just to be upfront, this weapon is NOT mine nor is in my possession and this picture was taken a long time ago. Just looking for some information. Thanks
Old February 27, 2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Scorch

Info on the M60 machine gun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M60_machine_gun

Just as an aside, if the machine gun pictured above was donated to the Army it is probably not a problem, it is likely they already own a bunch of machine guns. Besides, the Gun Control Act of 1934 applies to private citizens, not governmental agencies.
Old February 27, 2010, 03:26 PM   #5
RJay

If it was awarded to a Command/Office/Post/ then it belongs to the Army, if it was presented to an individual, then that individual must conform to the laws of the land. It is then a personal weapon and being in the military does not negate any applicable Federal laws concerning individual weapons { more than one Colonel or General has stepped in deep dodo over such animals }. The odds are very high that the shown M-60 is a presentation non functional weapon. Even in the military you do not display a unsecured machine gun. I know of no manufacturer in the modern era that presents fully functional automatic weapons as " wall hangers ". To answer the original question, with out inspecting all the markings it is difficult to determine who the manufacturer was, such a identification can not be done from only a photo. Your question made me realized that as familiar as I was with the M-60 I never once worried about who manufactured it. I know I cursed them, whoever they were, a few times, but I don't ever remember seeing a manufactures name. I know there had to be one, usually in the manuals, but if so I can not remember them.
Old February 27, 2010, 06:05 PM   #6
kraigwy

I'm with the others, based on the info provided, the gun was donated to an "OFFICE", or the military, not an individual. So ATF dosn't come in the picture.

I"ll relate another, simular story:

The Winston P. Wilson Matches, (National Guard Championships) give Match Grand Rifles and Pistols to the Winners of their respective events. When the Wilson matches started, the Guard was using M14s and 1911s, so, they gave NM M14s and NM 1911s. This went on for two years until the ATF caught on and threw a hissy fit, even though they were NM and not capable of Full Auto fire, they were "M14s" and considered NFA guns. So.......the Guard went back and retained "ownership" of the guns, and issued the winners a hand reciept for the guns. So the guy who won the guns still have them, but they belong to the National Guard.

After the problems with the first two M14s, they started awarding M1s to the winners of the Match.

Just seems totally silly ATF cant tell the differance between a ganster gun and a Wall Hanger Trophy.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 27, 2010, 10:30 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

ATF is enforcing the law; write to your Congressman.

Jim
Old February 28, 2010, 01:31 PM   #8
RJay

Now I'm confused ( a normal state of mine for me, so sayeth my wife ) what is the difference between a illegal wall hanger and a illegal gangster wall hanger ? What is is the defining mechanical or physical features between a legal full auto and a illegal full auto. I would think that a military M-14 would be classed as a F/A whether or not it was an award or stolen from the armory, so where were the BATF wrong in their assertion that the M-14 had to be treated as a full auto?
Old February 28, 2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Chipperman

If it can fire more than once per trigger pull, it is considered a machine gun by ATF. It does not matter whether it was made that way by the .gov or a gang-banger.

Quote:
what is the difference between a illegal wall hanger and a illegal gangster wall hanger ?
None

Quote:
What is is the defining mechanical or physical features between a legal full auto and a illegal full auto.
There are none

Quote:
I would think that a military M-14 would be classed as a F/A whether or not it was an award or stolen from the armory, so where were the BATF wrong in their assertion that the M-14 had to be treated as a full auto?
A real M14 is considered a machine gun, whether owned legally or illegally. If that gun is a functioning machine gun and is not in the Registry, it is Contraband unless owned by the Military.
Old February 28, 2010, 07:54 PM   #10
RJay

Chipperman, I posted that with my tongue in my cheek , so to speak. I really didn't expect an explanation or answer, I was just feeling rascally

Last edited by RJay; February 28, 2010 at 08:51 PM.