The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 20, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1
STEINER

Mosquito repellant

Can anyone suggest a solution to keeping mosquitos off of me and my shorthaired hunting dog? This weekend was a disaster because of them.
Thanks in advance.
Old July 20, 2009, 10:50 AM   #2
hardluk1

Are you bird hunting then? If so put a bit of DEET on your clothing and pant cuffs for ticks too. Tie a scarf to your dog and a couple drops on it for your dog and see with both of you can deal with the odor. Stuff works just don't put it on your skin. Could try a net suit to atleast for you in the hot weather. Try them both in florida years back
Old July 20, 2009, 11:06 AM   #3
lockedcj7

I use permanone (permethrin) on my clothes during turkey and early deer seasons. The deer don't seem to notice it and I don't feel like my skin is covered in chemicals.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:26 PM   #4
bswiv

Like STEINER said Permanone is VERY good stuff if you follow the directions. Spray down the clothes and let dry. Has no smell and will will keep mosquitos away. Other benifit is that it kills ticks and chiggers that get on the clothes, even after one washing.

We us it early season deer hunting. Spray down our mesh gloves and head nets. If you don't wash the item it will last for a couple of weeks, yes WEEKS.

As for spraying it on the dog....... That is a hard one. As suggested with the cloth might be a better idea.

And if you use DEET be VERY careful to keep it out of the poor dogs eyes and mouth. He will hate you for it if you don't. And justifiably so.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

(I think it was lockedcj7 who mentioned Permanone. )

Where can you find Permanone? I'd like to give it a try, more for ticks than skeeters, but they are bad this year as well.

I've already gotten a beginning case of Lyme disease once this year, and a bunch more deer tick bites without the LD. Thank goodness for doxycycline, I buy it by the case.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:42 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't know if it will stop skeeters but this is being used as a cost effective alternative to the top spot single dose brads of flea and tick control on dogs.
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product...ncentrate.html
I haven't yet used it and will post the rate in a few when a guy who does use it replies to me.
Same active ingredient as one of the flea controls you get from vet... frontline I think.
Brent
Old July 20, 2009, 03:22 PM   #7
lockedcj7

I started buying permethrin when I worked in a sporting goods store. Now I get it at Wally World. It's labeled REPEL Permanone. As for the dog, K-9 Advantix is the way to go.
Old July 20, 2009, 03:34 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Brent I use 3cc's for every 40 pounds once a month
I got the reply... I doubt any of us hog hunters would notice a skeeter situation with the dogs. Yeah the bulldogs may get a few as they are stationary as we stand listening for a bay. But the bay dogs better be busy enuff to be okay. I find that with enuff beer in your veins, the skeeters pick other targets.. something about crashing into trees after they leave me... I don't seem to get as many bites. We rarely ever remember skeeter control chemicals when getting ready to hunt.
Brent
Old July 20, 2009, 04:27 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

hogdogs - the Bayer Tree and Shrub insect control contains Imidacloprid which is good on fleas but doesn't work on ticks. It's the same stuff as in Advantage. So if fleas are the only problem, the cheaper tree stuff should work. However, it may not have the same oily release agent characteristics. One other advantage to using the Tree and Shrub Insect Control is that your dog's ash won't be bothered by Emerald Borers ever again!

lockedcj7 - thanks for the tip. I'll check W-M the next time I'm in there.
Old July 20, 2009, 04:34 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mal, Yeah it may not be worth while for ticks... Fleas are the worst issues on a dog yard and the bayer is quickly winning over dogmen in all realms of sporting dog. One -$20 dollar bottle treats many dogs a few times compared to +$80 one time for any of the top spot applications.
Brent
Old July 20, 2009, 06:19 PM   #11
lockedcj7

Mal - think nothing of it.

FWIW - I won't be using the Bayer stuff, even if the active ingredient is the same. Using a pesticide in a manner inconsistent with its labeling is a violation of federal law.
Old July 20, 2009, 08:41 PM   #12
sparkysteve

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/olive-appliance.asp

I have one of these and love it. No slimey sprays no smell.

Dont tread on me.
Old July 20, 2009, 08:49 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sparky, I have a wheelchair bound huntin' buddy that swears by thermacell. Unfortunately For me, they tend to be ruined after one swim across a creek... Good thing is if I stay wet the skeeters don't seem to find me as fast...
Brent
Old July 20, 2009, 08:56 PM   #14
skydiver3346

Keeping off the mosquitos!

You gotta try the Thermacell unit. It is awesome and I have been using it for three years now with not bites! Its hot when where I go hunting in Georgia for bowhunting season and I always take my Thermacell with me everytime. Just as important as my archery gear. Try one, I promise you will love it. Doesn't seem to spook deer either as I have taken a number of bucks and does while using this product the last few seasons. Good luck.
Old July 20, 2009, 09:02 PM   #15
oneounceload

Question on the Thermacell - my understanding is that it really only works best when you're stationary - is that correct? I've been considering one for shooting sporting clays, but if I'm moving every few minutes, will it still be effective?
Thanks
Old July 20, 2009, 09:53 PM   #16
rockns

we always used bounce drier sheets to keep the flies and skeeters out of our horses faces on trail rides and it seemed to work ok wrapped around there halters.
try wrapping one around the dog collar
Old July 20, 2009, 10:24 PM   #17
stevelyn

Quote:
I started buying permethrin when I worked in a sporting goods store. Now I get it at Wally World. It's labeled REPEL Permanone.
It's also marketed under the name Sawyer's.

Quote:
Question on the Thermacell - my understanding is that it really only works best when you're stationary - is that correct? I've been considering one for shooting sporting clays, but if I'm moving every few minutes, will it still be effective?
The Thermacell creates a 15ft force field around you, but if you're moving it's a little less effective unless you are walking or hiking with a tailwind and if it's windy and you're stationary it'll just blow the repellent down wind. But bugs won't be a problem either.

You should always have a DEET backup plan regardless of what you use.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 21, 2009, 05:03 PM   #18
sparkysteve

The thermacells work best when stationary. They are also supposed to lay flat. The only guys I see using them on the sporting clays course are the throwers. It takes a few minutes to take effect. I use mine spring turkey hunting, summer fishing, late summer deer scouting, and early fall archery season. It works great.

Dont tread on me.

Last edited by sparkysteve; July 21, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old July 21, 2009, 07:20 PM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
Stuff works just don't put it on your skin.
Actually, the labels all say to apply DEET to your skin - just don't spray it on your face.
Old July 21, 2009, 07:41 PM   #20
Doodlebugger45

Thanks for the advice on the permithrin. I will look for it. I think I must have an allergy to DEET. It works great but ever since I tried a bottle of 100% DEET surplus stuff, I noticed that if I spray even a trace of it anywhere near me, I get pounding headaches that last for days and all my fingers and skin go numb for a few hours. Even if a hunting partner sprays it on it will start to make me sick.
Old July 24, 2009, 12:01 PM   #21
Wild Bill Bucks

I do a lot of night time fishing here in southeastern Oklahoma, and when I get around the timber, the mosquitos will absolutely eat you up.
About a year ago, a friend told me about bounce dryer sheets, and I thought he was kidding. I put a box in the boat, and have been using them ever since.

I put one under my cap, and one around the neck of my shirt, and one under each of my cuffs on my shirt.

I use them for bushy tail hunting, as well as Turkey, and they work very well.

The smell is a little stout to use during deer season , but generally, there are not a lot of bugs out during season here.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:46 PM   #22
zahnzieh

I hate bugs!!! As to the Permanone stuff, great stuff especially for ticks,chiggers but pretty toxic - read tjhe label. I would not feel comfortable spraying the stuff on a dog's fur. I have used the Thermacell unit in Canada this summer for fishing, really works!!! You have to be somewhat stationary, with relatively little wind and give it a chance to work (2-3 minutes). BUT IT DOES WORK! Looking forward to using it early season bow-hunting.