The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2019, 12:15 AM   #1
bamaranger

hot weather boots

Since nobody hunts in bare feet, I'm posting this comment here!

A typical hiking boot is way too hot for summer in my area, your feet get sweaty, socks stay soaked, etc etc. For a few years I bought cheap copies of the old US jungle boot, no spike plate, lug sole, all canvas upper, and a leather toe cap. Those import boots would last about a summer, and I'd by a new pair for about $20 bucks or so annually. An athletic shoe, trail running shoe is not quite what I have in mind. Something more down the lines of the Palladium sand boot used by Foreign Legion is what I am thinking. Not waterproof by any means, but if they get wet, they dry easily. There are some high dollar hot weather/jungle boots out there, but too rich and not really necessary for what I want.

Quite by accident recently I stumbled up on a new option. Found at "ACADEMY" in the fishing gear, is there Maggellan (product line) marked wading shoe. All canvas,, about 6" of upper, and a rubber toe cap and boot tread sole. Best part.......$19.99. I'm going back for a second pair soon.
Old October 27, 2019, 02:59 AM   #2
armoredman

This might be the expensive version of what you found, OTB Maritime Assault Boot.

https://tacticalgear.com/altama-otb-...29,5140/1&dl=b

I am looking at buying a set of the Garamond T8 based on some solid recommendations for desert boots.
Old October 27, 2019, 09:13 AM   #3
Ricekila

I wore these all summer -- very comfy -- theres two vent holes at the inside arch to pump fresh air inside with every step ---- water proof they aint -- I'd buy them again --

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Μολών Λaβέ
Old October 27, 2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Doyle

Ranger, I understand what you are saying but there is no way I'm going to walk in the woods anywhere in the south in hot weather without snake boots.
Old October 27, 2019, 11:30 AM   #5
TheGunGeek

Bates, they've been supplying the military for decades, made in the USA, and they have specific hot weather versions. I'm in FL, and that's what I use.

Look under the military section. I use the TerraX3.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/home
Old October 27, 2019, 01:57 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Wore standard issue CF combat boots all summer for years. So did everybody else in the CF. Including the guys who went to vacation spots like Rwanda, Africa with The Third World Debating Club.
You might want to look into a pair of Issue desert boots though. Amazon, et al. 1960's era Jungle boots are more for wet conditions and aren't exactly light weight.
"...Palladium sand boot..." Those start at just under $200US. OUCH!
Old October 27, 2019, 06:03 PM   #7
GeauxTide

I bought some Rocky Waterproof Snake Boots, hunting hogs from September to now. Very comfortable, my feet don't get hot, and don't have to worry about the Rattlers, Cottonmouths, and Copperheads.
Old October 28, 2019, 02:30 AM   #8
bamaranger

Altama

The Altama Maritime seems very similar to the wading shoe I am describing, but the Academy wading boot comes up over the ankle further. Altama has supplied boots to the US military for some time. The Academy boot is little more than a very high HD "sneaker" like the Bata Bullets I wore as a kid, except the canvas is heavier, and the toe cap and sole are stiffer and more boot like.

Yes, a snake would bite right through the upper, no problem. I have seen some darn big Timber Rattlers in the spring. I often hunt in uninsulated knee high rubber boots and a snake could punch those no problem as well.
I've got a pal who will absolutely not hunt in spring w/o his Rocky snake boots. I see the Academy boot as a light duty number for working around our place n summer, walking established trails, and riding ATV. I could see them as a good dove field boot as well.

Most of the tan desert boots, including the Bates, were too hot and heavy for what I was looking for.
Old October 28, 2019, 07:49 AM   #9
HiBC

Back, maybe up into the 80'swhile the original jungle boots were available,they served me well in Colorado.(This is about warm weather)
But something about the re-make with the Panama sole kills my feet.Maybe they would work on soft ground.

When I was river tripping a lot,I discovered those wading shoes,like the old Hi-top Keds. They worked out well for what I used them for.

A boot I liked real well when I found some to fit is the old kangaroo lightweight bird hunting boots. Maybe LL Bean or Cabelas? I think maybe the Spirit of Califoria banned kangaroo boots.

A boot that is lightweight,very close to an original jungle boot,,and doggone,just fits my foot with no break in time is the Danner Pronghorn,uninsulated.

IMO,it can happen that complaints of "Hot" or sweaty boots may be about pressure point hot spots,or sweat and cotton or nylon sox

I don't care how hot the temp is,my sox serve my feet the same way a saddle blanket serves a horse.

I generally go someplace like REI for a thinner liner sock,maybe Smartwool,but my boot sox are heavy merino wool. They cushion,breath,wick...and allow my blood to circulate.

I like it when I don't notice my feet,they are just happy.

If I wore cotton gym sox or nylon dress sox ...my feet would not be happy

Last edited by HiBC; October 28, 2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old October 28, 2019, 10:26 AM   #10
TheGunGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
I generally go someplace like REI for a thinner liner sock,maybe Smartwool,but my boot sox are heavy merino wool. They cushion,breath,wick...and allow my blood to circulate.
Good point and I agree. Choosing good socks is important as as they work together with the boots. I personally use the Bates "high mileage" wool socks with my boots, and after 10-12 hours of use my feet are still comfortable.
Old October 29, 2019, 09:51 AM   #11
jmr40

There are lots of options for unisulated non goretex hiking and hunting boots. They are very light and breathable. Merrell MOAB is a good choice Keen makes a good boot and the market is flooded with military surplus desert boots dirt cheap

Winston Churchill