The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2017, 05:41 PM   #1
bobn

shot 5 stand today

shot out of a heated semi trailer today. they had a woodstove going. it was nice. didn't even need gloves or jacket at 23 outside, lol.
now for the humbling score> 18 out of 50. I used my new classic trap 1100 with a skeet choke. I will learn the gun and chokes with more practice. I also might have to take my sx1 trap gun next time too. bobn
Old January 29, 2017, 06:04 PM   #2
FITASC

Lose the skeet choke; IC or LM will do the job. If yours is anything like the ones I shoot, there will be quartering in and out, dropping, curling and all sorts of fun targets, including rabbits...........

Skeet can help with the quartering type shots, especially stations 2, 3, 5, 6.

Lots of fun!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 29, 2017, 06:57 PM   #3
bobn

I appreciate any advice from a experienced shooter. gun came with three handicap trap chokes and one skeet. not sure which handicap choke is close to what you suggest. the throwers were set up in a circle. pretty awesome shots for sure. thanks, bob
Old January 29, 2017, 08:12 PM   #4
FITASC

There are plenty of after market chokes if need be.

IC is (typically) .010; LM is .015; if they targets are really far, use a Modified, .020.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 30, 2017, 04:35 PM   #5
ShootistPRS

The trap and skeet shooters from the Walla Walla gun club don't do well at the 5 stand shoots that we have at the Local range. There are clays that come at the shooter, past in both directions at different heights and ranges and the bouncing bunny along the ground. It is a very different game than the orderly flight of clays in skeet or trap shooting.
Old January 30, 2017, 04:41 PM   #6
FITASC

Which is what makes it so much more fun! And NO two places are the same. Next step is sporting clays, then FITASC, then ZZ birds
Old January 30, 2017, 04:56 PM   #7
ShootistPRS

Yep! The guys that run the 5 stand change up the placements of the throwers for each match here too. Nobody gets used to where the targets are coming from or where they are going.
Old January 31, 2017, 12:25 PM   #8
BigJimP

In general...most "Trap" guns are set up to float the bird and shoot a 70% high /and 30% below center point of impact .. as a pattern. While that is fine for "Trap" because you want to shoot Trap birds as they are rising...not leveling off or falling...that doesn't work too well on the other clay target games. Most Trap shooters like a longer and heavier gun too ...like an O/U or a Single Barrel of 32" or even 34" ...and up around 10 lbs..to smooth out the follow thru.

For a more general purpose gun / where you want to shoot sporting clays, 5 stand, skeet, etc ...I like a 50/50 pattern ( or maybe a 55/45 setup on gun ) over point of impact ...and a gun that is a little lighter and shorter than a trap gun ( so for this I want an O/U with 30" barrels around 8 1/2 lbs - because there are more presentations where the birds level off or drop as you acquire them...

I second the idea that Skeet will improve your 5 stand and sporting clays scores...especially stations 2 thru 6 ...targets are predictable and you'll get a better feel of sustained lead and follow thru -- and moving your eyes before you move the barrels to find the 2nd bird...( and stance, hold points, hip rotation, shoulders level...all all of that stuff...)..

Keep it up ....don't worry the scores will come as you gain confidence and improve your fundamentals.
Old January 31, 2017, 02:46 PM   #9
MarkCO

5 Stand is a lot of fun.