The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

Chokes for 20 gauge shotguns

I have a Stevens model 67 shotgun in 20 gauge with changeable chokes. I have several chokes but not a cylinder bore choke. Can I use lead shot, size 7 or 8 without a choke in the barrel or would this damage the threads? With no choke, would the I.D. at the muzzle be the same as a cylinder choke? While I'm on this topic, which brand chokes will work in the Stevens?
Old December 22, 2016, 12:27 PM   #2
FITASC

What chokes do you have now?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 22, 2016, 12:36 PM   #3
Bucksnort1

Modified, full and improved. This year, I switched from a 12 gauge to this 20 for dove hunting. I do well with the 12 but not well with the 20. I patterned it with the improved choke and got a diameter of roughly 16". I want a wider spread with the shot.
Old December 22, 2016, 12:38 PM   #4
FITASC

That patterned 16"@40 yards?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 22, 2016, 01:01 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Lead isn't going to damage the threads, but it'll likely fill 'em with all kinds of crud. The diameter of the pattern isn't as important as the concentration of the shot either. A 16" diameter pattern full of holes a dove can fly through, isn't great.
Like FITASC says, that 16" at 40 yards?
Gunparts is listing 12 gauge tubes manufactured by KTG. There may not be a "cylinder" choke for a 67. It'd just be a thread protector anyway.
Old December 22, 2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Bucksnort1

It was roughly 16" at about 25 yards. I guess I should pattern at 40 yards, yes?
Old December 22, 2016, 01:33 PM   #7
FITASC

That is the normal distance. If still too tight, you might try a different brand and loading to see if things change. "Shooting threads" generally will not cause damage using lead shot BUT powder residue, plastic, etc can get into those fine threads and make cleaning them a real PITA.
Old December 25, 2016, 02:30 AM   #8
WIN71

I'd say whatever distance you have been killing them with the 12 ga. is the distance you should pattern the 20 chokes at. I would suspect you won't change your style of shooting live birds because of a change of guns.
I patterned a 20 ga. fixed choke double that I was used to and a 28 ga. o/u with multiple chokes and came up with something that patterns the same as far as shooting over a pointer.
Old December 25, 2016, 07:42 AM   #9
jmr40

Do not fire ammo through the gun with no choke tube installed

Most of the previous posters must have either not read all of your post of misread it. Doing this can damage your gun and could be dangerous. I can't help with which brand works on that gun. There are several different styles and often a brand made for one gun will work on others. Generally speaking since a 20 puts fewer pellets in each pattern I will use one choke tighter than I would with 12. An IC choke is normally as open as I like to go. But if you look around you may well be able to find a cyl, tube.
Old December 25, 2016, 08:18 AM   #10
RaySendero

[quote]jmr40 wrote:
[quote]

I'll echo that advice:

Old December 25, 2016, 08:55 AM   #11
FITASC

Lead and plastic are not harder than steel. Folks, including many pros, DO shoot threads now and again for a few shots. Yes, it is not the best thing to do, but damage is highly unlikely, whereas cleaning it up is. Is it better to buy a cylinder or skeet choke? Absolutely, but for a few shots, no biggie, for lead pellets. Using steel is altogether a different matter.
Old December 25, 2016, 08:56 AM   #12
RaySendero

When I was coaching my son's pitching, He and I would begin working on:
a DON'T or
a technique change or
a new technique by quickly talking through the issue/problem.
We did this quickly to get to the/a solution(s) we wanted to try.

In your case, The simplest problem I see you describing is:
You can shoot better with your 12 ga than your 20 ga shotgun.

There can be several causes.
Most probable would be that the fit or balance of these 2 shotguns differ causing you to mount and hold each gun differently.

So...Do this simple check:
Take both guns and make sure they are UNLOADED.
Alternately, hold each gun in a "gun down" position where
the butt is about waist level and the top of the barrel is at eye level.
Pick a point and align the top of the barrel with that point.
Now, close your eyes and mount the gun.
Open your eyes and note where each gun is pointing.
Do this a few times with each gun.

If you find that one or the other blind/naturally mounts to a different aim point. Then you can "see" the problem and can work on it. If they both align to the aim point, then you can eliminate this possible cause and move onto the next most probable cause.
Old December 25, 2016, 12:46 PM   #13
smee78

I believe the Stevens guns take Winchester chokes.
Old December 25, 2016, 11:27 PM   #14
RMcL

"Stevens 350, 67-E, 320 & 24F
Interchanges with Carlson's Winchester, Browning Invector & Mossberg 500 style threads."

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-...ange-guide.php
Old December 26, 2016, 12:29 PM   #15
BigJimP

I agree with FITASC's comments....

Is shooting a gun without a choke screwed into it smart...No !! (getting the plastic fouling out of the threads is a pain in the butt ).... and doing it - instead of spending $ 30 - $ 50 for a Cylinder choke... is as best foolish.

Is it Dangerous ...no...
Old January 23, 2017, 03:34 AM   #16
olddrum1

Improved choke at 25 yards should give you a 26 inch circle. Roughly. I am guessing you were closer or had a modified/full in at 25 yards. Anyone here tell me why you would shoot threads?
Old January 23, 2017, 07:37 AM   #17
redrick

Look at Trulock chokes , he has the best warranty out there . If you do not like it , send it back within 60 days for a different one or your money back .
Old January 23, 2017, 09:19 AM   #18
FITASC

ALL of the reputable makers make a good product. Extended ones are nice as you can easily see which one you have in and they can help to protect the muzzle better. Do NOT bother with the more expensive ported choke tubes as they do nothing but make them harder to clean. Pattern testing will let you know which one works well for you.
Old January 24, 2017, 12:00 AM   #19
BigJimP

Olddrum, ...

In my opinion they shoot " threads " ....because they are too cheap to buy a Cylinder choke....there is no valid ballistic reason to shoot "threads"....
Old January 24, 2017, 07:12 PM   #20
FITASC

I agree, BigJim - they most likely don't own one because they rarely ever see real close targets.
Old January 25, 2017, 03:44 AM   #21
olddrum1

Thanks guys.
Old January 25, 2017, 05:46 PM   #22
Ricklin

Threads

I would not be concerned about damaging anything shooting W/O a choke tube.

I would worry about the muzzle getting bumped and banged. The steel is darned thin W/O the choke tube in place. Would not take much to damage the muzzle.
Old January 25, 2017, 08:57 PM   #23
ShootistPRS

The 20 ga. will only shot a maximum of twe thirds the amount of shot in your pattern so the patterns will be less dense. I have and use both and with the 20 gauge I use a size tighter choke and have to be more precise shooting it.

Shooting lead through the bare threads will not damage the gun but it is a real pain to clean the threads.

You should pattern your shotgun at the ranges you typically use it. Dove are small and fast so getting on target fast and follow through is imperative. Check to see if there is someone who "fits" stocks. Having your shotgun fitted to you will not only give you more hits but it will also be more comfortable to shoot.