The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 5, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1
bamaranger

"new" turkey shotgun right under my nose!

I've been carrying bamaboy spring gobbler hunting the past week, and he was using my 870, so I needed a turkey gun. On occassion in times past I'd used my Grandad's Savage pump, Model of 1921. I taken my first gobbler with the Savage, but have largely retired it, and hunted it only as a novelty on "easy" hunts. But I needed an everyday, season long, second gun and taking a 91 yr old heirloom for that type use seemed foolish. What to do?

Well I'd thought about buying the boy his own gun, and will someday, but what about right NOW. And there in the back of the safe, nearly forgotten, was the Lanber O/U. I'd killed one turkey with it during a similar loaner situation, but have not though about hunting it for turkeys in over 20 years.

Positives: The 26" barreled Lanber is only 1 inch longer than my 20" Rem pump and its extended choke tube. Suspended on my old spring scale, the Lanber is over 1 lb LIGHTER. The gun is well regulated and shoots to point of aim. Choked Full and Modified, the full barrel patterns well enough with short mag #6 lead that any gobbler inside 35-40 yds is in grave danger. And, I can select the Mod barrel for the ultra close shots (yeah, right, like I can think of anything but keeping still and shooting on a close bird) If I spring for some space shot (hevi-shot) the gun will likey shoot tighter and gain some range, (probably won't spend the money though).

Drawbacks, well as noted above, it is a 2-3/4 inch gun and so my favorite 3" load is a no go. I would really like to shoot #5 lead, but have not patterned same. There is no provision to mount a sling, but one of the slip on varieties would work I guess. There is only a tiny brass front bead, but after this season, I will change that to a larger white bead front and a smaller mid bead.

I'm going to hunt it some, especially later in the season, when ranges are typically shorter, leaves are out, and I am beat from hunting and working too much. The one pound lighter weight I see as a real plus.

Anbody else have a Lanber 101 12 gauge?