The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 31, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
ms6852

White wing clay launcher

Just bought one and a car battery, and am taking my nephews out for some shooting, I think. I noticed that a deep cycle battery is recommended, can I still use a car battery? It's almost midnight and the boys are anxious to go shoot at sunup.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Car batteries are not made to with stand the discharge/charge cycles like a deep cycle battery.

Car batteries are made to provide a large amount of current for a short time and recharge.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Virginian

It'll work fine but if you keep using it you will kill the battery. Car batteries are not made to be completely discharged and recharged. They develop a buildup on the plates. WalMart deep cycle are as good as the rest, and cheaper, I have found.
Old April 1, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
the rifleer

It will work, but if you intend to use it frequently then use a deep cycle (golf cart) battery.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:25 PM   #5
ms6852

I bought the marine battery at walmart, I was completely surprised as to how cheap they were.

I used the launcher today, had a few hiccups at the beginning, it would break every clay as it launched it so I ended loading only half the capacity it holds and it worked flawlessly for the next 3 hours. Great piece of equipment, just need to troubleshoot and see what happened with the clays. It could also have been a batch of bad clays.

I was amazed at how lousy I am with a shotgun, had a hard time hitting the clays. Funny thing is that I bust clays at 230 yds all day long with my 22lr.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old April 2, 2012, 02:04 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
I was amazed at how lousy I am with a shotgun, had a hard time hitting the clays. Funny thing is that I bust clays at 230 yds all day long with my 22lr.
Static versus dynamic targets. Odds are you shot the shotgun the way you shoot a rifle - hold, stance, etc. - and stopped the gun the second you pulled the trigger

See that all the time when a seasoned rifle shooter comes over to shoot clays
Old April 2, 2012, 02:15 PM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
Not to worry, I've comp grade custom shotguns that will break trap and Skeet targets all day, but are worthless at 230-yards.
Glad the new battery was a success and you didn't have to walk home.