The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Harry Callahan

What a day!

Just had to share something with everyone. Yesterday we were at the Kenosha County Gun Club in Bristol, Wisconsin. I brought my 16 year old son with me and a couple of my buddies. We shot 3 rounds of trap before moving to the rifle/pistol range. It's the second time my son ever tried to shoot clays, the first being an informal get together with some people at IllinoisCarry.com. Well, the first round actually went a lot better than I thought it would. He hit around 12-13 clays, not bad for your second time ever. The second round he surprised me by hitting 16-17. The third time he got on a roll and hit 21 out of 25! The look on his face was priceless. I managed to do only one better than him in that round which is very good for me seeing that this is the second time I've ever taken part in an actual organized trap shoot. He beat the pants off of both my other buddies. All this with a Stevens 12 guage side by side made in 1954. You could see the look of accomplishment and pride on his face not only knowing he beat his old man and his buddies but realizing he may have found something else he's good at. I know many of you guys/gals are much better at this game than both of us and I need to keep things in perspective, but I just thought that for a couple of amateurs we had a pretty good day. It was one of those days I'll never forget when my son and I bonded and became even closer.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old April 19, 2010, 09:12 AM   #2
oneounceload

Awesome...pretty soon you'll be getting him his own gun, reloader, components..................and on and on............

Amazing how much FUN guns can be, compared to the scare monger tactics...

Good job, Dad
Old April 19, 2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for posting this. A good start indeed.
Old April 19, 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
BigJimP

Thanks for relating the story ....well done ...
Old April 19, 2010, 03:19 PM   #5
zippy13

Thanks for sharing with us, Harry. It's stories like yours that remind us just how important the younger generation is to us and the shooting sports. They are the future of shooting in the US and guardians of our Second Amendment rights.

Last night I watched a rerun of the shotgun episode of Lock N' Load With R. Lee Ermey. It had a segment with Olympic gold medalist Kim Rhode smoking targets with her Perazzi MX-12. In 1991, I was our club's Skeet chairman, and young Kimberly was shooting her first NSSA match. She was about 10 years old at the time and competed with the other newbies in D-class at the club's Father's Day Open. In the first event, the .410-bore, she won D-class with a 78, the others in D-class (adult men) posted 75, 68 and 63. She went on to win D-Class HOA.

Kim's 78 equates to a 19.5 per round. Your son's newbie score of 21 is outstanding -- a beginning step towards Olympic gold?