The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1
spacecoast

Mismarked brass?

While going through today's range pickup I came across two pieces of brass that are .357 SIG, but are marked Winchester 40 S&W. Odd thing is, both of them are green on the bottom, almost like someone marked them with a marker. Has anyone ever seen this before?
Old March 6, 2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Boomer8404

I have, well not the green but you can make .357 sig brass outta .40s&w brass by necking it down. My 2cents.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Somebody probably did it because they couldn't find Sig brass. 40SW is approximately .02 short when formed to 357sig. It only matters because Sig is supposed to headspace on the mouth, but it doesn't anyway, so being .02 short really doesn't hurt anything. I wouldn't personally reload someone else's, but I wouldn't have a problem doing it myself (mild loads only) if I were short on brass for the Sig for some reason.
Old March 6, 2010, 09:16 PM   #4
bluetopper

Like previous stated, somebody necked down some 40S&W brass.
Old March 6, 2010, 09:26 PM   #5
zippy13

I use a colored marker to ID my brass. I use two different SWC weights in .45ACP and the loaded rounds look almost identical. Coloring helps. Also, when doing my final inspection, after re-loading, some brass goes into the "last time" category -- these get marked with a black "X" at the base.
Old March 7, 2010, 12:21 PM   #6
spacecoast

Thanks for the explanation, that seems like a lot of work to make .357 SIG brass, it's not tremendously plentiful at our range but I usually find a few pieces each trip. Tons of .40S&W, though. Maybe it's not that big of a deal.
Old March 7, 2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

These days an awful lot of self-loading pistols end up headspacing on the extractor hook rather than the way they were originally designed to. Generous chambers allow that.

If you shoot in matches with other people using the same caliber, you find most every shooter comes up with his own Magic Marker design and color combination to put on case heads. That is, as Zippy said, to ID his brass from that of others when the RO gives the call to police brass. When I shot in bullseye matches, it was considered common good manners to leave cases mouth down on the bench at the end, if they were not your own. That way folks missing brass from another relay would have a chance to spot them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 7, 2010, 01:23 PM   #8
zippy13

Unclenick,
If you have a some nice R-P ACP cases with red over back, they may be mine.