The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 19, 2013, 10:57 PM   #1
bimmer*tr

Ear protection

I would like to buy ear muffs...electronic...for my sons as a Christmas present. What ones would you recommend if my range is around $75?

Thanks, Bimmer
Old December 19, 2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Nathan

Frankly, I would buy cushy non-electronic muffs.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Cirdan

I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport. They fit well (I have big head), and do the job. Sometimes get a little static.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:43 AM   #4
bt380

Good decision. The electric muffs are great for home protection as well. Gives you the super hearing advantage at night as well. Lots of people buy guns but no hearing protection for the home. It's good most never have to shoot cause they may lose their hearing or permanent ringing in the ears. Most of the middle priced stuff is ok, but check to make sure the battery compartment easily accepts the battery as many do not. Also get the set that has one knob to turn on/off and adjust volume. Avoid the knob on each ear. It's only a problem if you need it at night for a break in. You don't want to have to remember which way the spin to work as many turn right to left like you'd expect, but on the opposite side of the head it seems like it's backwards from the natural perspective of things.
Old December 20, 2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Fargazer

Howard Leight Impact Pro's Rock

Howard Leight Impact Pro.

Relatively new, and right in your price range (high $60s to low $80s, depending upon your source).
  • They are rated NRR 30, higher than most electronic muffs, and higher than ANYTHING I've seen less than $200.
  • They use two AAA batteries, and the battery container is very secure. I can't speak for battery life, but I'm still on the original set I put in October.
  • The cups have a rubber overlay on parts of the lower section to prevent marring a rifle.
  • A single wheel controls power and volume.
  • I've worn them 3 + hours continuously, and was very comfortable. The Tac Pro's are better, but those have gel cups and triple the price - they AREN'T triple the comfort .
I bought a pair of Impact Pro's to replace a set of Peltor Tac Pro's I had misplaced, and they have worked very very well. If I had found the Impact Pro's when I was initially shopping for electronic muffs a couple years ago, I would have bought those rather than the Peltors. If I am buying ear protection for family or close friends this is what I'd purchase.

One potential knock - they are full sized muffs, not slimlines. That's not such a big deal for me because I shoot mostly pistol, but they definitely need to be taken into account for a good cheek weld on a rifle.

I have since found my Tac Pro's, but am comfortable using either set. Don't mistake me - the Tac Pro's are very very good, and with gel cups are very comfortable - however, they are also triple the price of the Impact Pros.
Old December 20, 2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

They Impact Pros are a bit bulky, but yes, the batteries seem to last forever. They do have the high NRR and work well.
Old December 20, 2013, 03:02 PM   #7
bimmer*tr

Thanks for your input...I found the Impact Sports at Cabelas for a reasonable price and my Christmas shopping is done!

Merry Christmas,
Bimmer