The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: What to do with extra AR15?
Sell, like, NOW, before the prices drop. 12 17.14%
Prices are going up and could skyrocket, wait and sell. 13 18.57%
Prices will remain what they are, sell whenever. 1 1.43%
Not selling, it's mine. 40 57.14%
Will sell down the road if there is a registration looming. 1 1.43%
Sell, because prices are bound to drop and you can get back in cheaper, later. 3 4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 28, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
breakingcontact

Sell, wait and sell, hold forever, what to do with AR15?

Please vote in the poll.

If you had an extra AR15, would you sell now, wait a bit and sell, never sell or?
Old December 28, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2
PetahW

FWIW, I don't own an AR, and have no desire to do so - since I carried it's cousin long enough, when my Uncle Sam sent me on an exotic vacation to S.E.Asia, quite a few years ago.

BUT - "if" I did have an extra AR, before I sold it elsewhere, I'd make darn sure any such went to a family member, extended or not.

Old December 28, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
solocam72

I would sell, I'm not semi guy of any kind. Its bolt action, occasional lever, and revolvers for me, I've owned several through trades and such but were rid of them fairly quickly, I've owned a 55 gallon barrel full of AKs and SKSs, they made darn good trading stock a few years ago, I came out WAAAAAAY ahead!
Old December 28, 2012, 11:43 AM   #4
breakingcontact

Quote:
barrel full of AKs and SKSs
I saw a picture of a trailer full of SKSs, I like this visual though too. Better if the barrel is rusty or plastic.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:44 AM   #5
UtopiaTexasG19

On a open forum I consider this personal information so no vote from me one way or another. Same goes for posts showing pictures of my stuff or information on "how many" of anything I have. Too much information stays on someone's main frame forever. Better paranoid now than have a knock on the door later....
Old December 28, 2012, 11:54 AM   #6
breakingcontact

If "they" want to know...they already know. Plus I thought you lost all your guns in a boating accident? Real shame.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/28/co...to-keep-spying
Old December 28, 2012, 11:59 AM   #7
sc928porsche

I dont sell any of my firearms.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8
anothernewb

I didn't vote - but as a latecommer to the AR ownership club, if the prices get much crazier I'm sorely tempted to sell. I've seen similar to mine going for 3x what I paid. 3x investment on your money these days is nothing to scoff at.

But... I like shooting mine. The whole family can handle the recoil - and that's worth something.

However, if ammo continues to go insane, that I will sell off. I'm of the opinion that the ammo will never go away.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:26 PM   #9
btmj

The house and senate are so divided that nothing of substance is likely to happen, and NOTHING will happen quickly. They can't even agree on the basics of handling a trillion dollar "fiscal cliff" problem.

Prices are high right now on AR-15s in particular, but all semi-auto rifles chambered in 5.56 or 308 or 7.62x39 are inflated. If you need the cash, now would be a good time to sell, but why not hold on to them? honestly... It might be more difficult to buy them in the future... more hoops to jump through, more PITA paperwork or whatever.

My advice is don't over react. Some people are being foolish and paying huge amounts of money for 30 round mags. But selling a gun you would otherwise keep is just as foolish...
Old December 28, 2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Alabama Shooter

If you don't need the money save it until you do.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Metal god

I thought I would never sell "BUT" I have a few and if prices go way up like 5 to 10k I would sell one in a heart beat .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 28, 2012, 06:42 PM   #12
rebs

there was no option fpor buying.
I have colt match target competition on lay away that I put there a month ago for 1200.00, I have been trying to decide if I should buy it or not. What would you guys do , buy it, wait a while longer to see what happens ?
It was made in 1998 and is still new in the box, never fired. Was 1998 a good year for colt, I know somewhere along the line they had labor problems and QC may have slipped a bit ?
Old December 28, 2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

If I had an extra, I'd hold it a bit longer. Once Biden introduces his ban legislature, I expect prices will climb because I expect the ban to prevent the selling of even grandfathered weapons.

If that is the case (and if it passes) there will be a rush to buy like we have never seen.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Mobuck

I'm going to sell a few AR's off the bottom of the pile. Some that are less appealing to me or are more easily replaced. I don't really like the M4 barrel profile but ended up with a crate of them because they were cheap and popular so those are on the line. I can't utilize the open sights so well any more so a couple of the A2's are culled. Have already told the LGS that I have some for sale and will pay them a commission. If not sold locally, I'm headed for the closest gun show Jan 5.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:41 PM   #15
breakingcontact

Quote:
If I had an extra, I'd hold it a bit longer. Once Biden introduces his ban legislature, I expect prices will climb because I expect the ban to prevent the selling of even grandfathered weapons.

If that is the case (and if it passes) there will be a rush to buy like we have never seen.
Interesting point. I hate making decisions out of fear. At this point, it's all really unknown.

Think the prudent move is to wait and see what becomes reality. But I don't blame or criticize a guy for selling, or buying for that matter.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:38 PM   #16
PetahW

FWIW, take a peek at Feinstein's website - She's planning to introduce legislation that will ban 1,000 named semi-auto's and mandate registering any already-owned (aka: grandfathered) "assault rifle" from the listings as an NFA firearm ($200 tax). (Among a buncha other "stuff")

Old December 28, 2012, 10:40 PM   #17
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have a few AR's, I will keep them unless offered a "stupid" amount for them. I like to think each has it's own purpose... LOL

If they did the NFA registration, IF, I would think that they would not charge current owners to register. Only after a certain date would it require a transfer tax stamp... Just my opinion.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 29, 2012, 12:12 AM   #18
samdunc

I don't have an AR but I voted never sell.
Old December 29, 2012, 01:52 AM   #19
tahunua001

if i had a SPARE ar15 laying around heck yes I'd sell it for a profit, I already have my 223 and my 9mm so having a spare of either of those would be pointless in my eyes. if a ban is established it would have just been another gun I would never be allowed to sell, if it isn't then the prices will go back down and I could buy an equivalent replacement for less than what I sold it for.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:54 AM   #20
stubbicatt

Man it seems I saw this poll on another forum...
Old December 29, 2012, 12:36 PM   #21
breakingcontact

^true story^