The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 31, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Drummer101

Cold weather

Little background,
I like winter. I like it cold (about -5 to 5 F) is about ideal for me.

I am not sure on the gel point for grease/oil that would be used in a shotgun but what I am wondering is if it is close to that temp if pump or semi is better.

If it does get gummy and stiff I might not have the strength to rack it while a semi probably puts more force in cycling then I could do by hand.

Thoughts?
Old March 31, 2012, 08:04 PM   #2
jrothWA

Cold weather & grease, the best rule to use ..

is less is more. This means as littler as possible.
Having hunted in -35 wind chill in the UP of Michigan,had np problems with rifle or shotgun.
The shotgun was cleaned after deer season and relubed using powdered graphite.

Also did hipower rifle practice with standard lubriplate, again light amount with no problem.

Best place to get minimum temperatures is to go to the manufacturers website and look for the MSPS sheets.

Hope this help. where about you live? Contact local smith for more reliable suggestions??
Old March 31, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Drummer101

Welp if does really get cold enough anyway then it is no problem.

This what I think of if I am sick all day
Old April 1, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Virginian

I can vouch for RemOil down to 11 degrees F with a still wind. Below that and it won't matter, because I won't be out there. If fact, I don't think I will be out in that again.
Old April 1, 2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Pahoo

I prefer the pumps !!!

I hunt Iowa which also sees some cold weather. On one occasion, the cold turned my Remington 1100, into a single shot. Took it home that evening, cleaned and re-lubed it with dry Teflon. Have never had any cold weather issues with a pump and that might explain why old-school duck hunters, prefer them. However, I am not aware of the new autos out there and how they stand up. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 1, 2012, 03:13 PM   #6
zippy13

Many of today's shooters are separating into two camps: those trending to shoot lighter, and those wanting maxi mags. When talking of cold weather, let's not overlook what it does to your ammo, especially the reduced loads. Did Pahoo's R-1100 go single shot because of stiff lube, lower pressure from his cold ammo, or both? I was told to keep my ammo warm (inside pockets) in cold weather; but, some scenarios don't favor this.