The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 25, 2017, 08:57 PM   #51
lefteye

I wonder if Gander Mt. management is learning anything from this thread.
Old May 25, 2017, 09:15 PM   #52
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
Brick and mortar stores are going away. Bass Pro bought Cabelas... a huge mistake. Months later the purchase/merger still hasn't happened and may not ever.

Midway Arms is the way to go. Graf & Sons is not far behind. No retail stores... none, nada. Low shipping and free pick up is the new model. Don't think so? Ask Amazon...
Old June 7, 2017, 01:53 PM   #53
brian33x51

I've been at the local GM several times after I saw the going out of business sign a few weeks ago after I got back from a business trip to china. The only thing in store I found remotely interesting was a used HK USP 40 compact that was being sold for more than 100usd less than the other used HK compacts because it didn't have the original case and was missing a mag. Paid less for it than anywhere else I'd been looking.

Too bad summitgunbroker doesn't have any of their 16usd mags in stock

Too bad I ended up later buying (from somewhere else) one of those s&w 9mm m&p shields with the current ridiculous sales and rebates going on now. Both guns are quality but the shield was almost half as much and has a better trigger...
Old June 7, 2017, 04:44 PM   #54
DaleA

This is about the Gander Mountain just south of Forest Lake MN.

First thing I see walking into the store is a 'NOW HIRING' sign and job applications....I asked a clerk and found out this GM might not close just change names.

Found "discounted" 115 grain 9mm for just under $18 box of 50.

That was typical of the firearms related stuff. Maybe the clothes were cheap.

There were very, very few clerks in the store. One poor guy had the whole firearms section and he was frazzled even though there weren't many customers.

I found a 'used' Ruger LCP for $152. It looked like it had never even been fired but it was the original LCP with the dash in the serial number and the nonexistent sights...that would make it pretty old but again I don't think it had even been shot. Passed on the deal even though I was slightly tempted.
Old June 7, 2017, 05:21 PM   #55
FITASC

There aren't many remaining open - those that stay will be called Gander Outdoors, IIRC - mine is one of them. "LIQUIDATION SALE" all over the store with "New Merchandise Arriving Daily" - seems the liquidator is sending stuff from closing stores to the few staying open.

Big WUP.............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 8, 2017, 08:01 AM   #56
jackstrawIII

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

Their "liquidation" pricing is still higher than almost anywhere else. I walked into a Gander store yesterday, had about 15 minutes of laughing as I browsed the gun racks, then left.
Old June 9, 2017, 06:41 PM   #57
lee n. field

I stopped by the Gouger Mountain "local" (45 miles) to me a couple weeks ago., just to see if pricing on anything in their "going out of business" sale was sane.

Nope.

Example 1)Plain old Glock 19 magazine, 20% off the regular price of .......... $42.

Example 2)Plain old XD40 magazine, 20% off the regular price of ..... $44.

Boring old Midway USA has them for $25 for either. I could probably find an ebay vendor with that price and free shipping, if I tried.

The "soulless gun mall" ambiance I so dislike had become a "rundown and soulless gun mall" ambiance.

My bladder was nagging me, and there weren't restrooms where I remembered them being. So, "Where are your restrooms?" --moi.

"We don't have any. They broke down." -- lowly clerk

"What do you do? Never mind, don't answer that." --moi

Fold and die, Gander Mountain. I really don't care.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 9, 2017, 07:41 PM   #58
Old Stony

Just out of curiosity, I wandered into a Gander a few days ago just to check out their sale. They have signs outside "Going out of business...up to 40% off. The ammo was priced at 5% off....good buys like WWB 223's for 11.95 a box....whoopee!
I looked at a pair of camo pants that were 40% off and down to 99 bucks and change. Their management still doesn't have a clue.....
If they were the only option out there, I'd have to find another hobby..
Old June 10, 2017, 03:03 AM   #59
gshayd

I stopped by the local one...waste of time
Old June 12, 2017, 11:28 AM   #60
rpseraph

FYI, I went yesterday.
Camo and hats/gloves were 50% off
Exterior clothing was all 20%-30% off
Guns 15% off (meh)
Ammo still overpriced.

Got some good deals, got some new camo to try out. I did hear a rumor for our local store that another gun shop was getting a loan to buy ALL the guns. But so far, the guns are still there.
Old June 12, 2017, 12:06 PM   #61
Lohman446

Walked in one yesterday. Would have bought an air rifle I thought was a decent price but they did not have any out and the employees in there looked like they were well aware that they were not saving their jobs there.
Old June 25, 2017, 05:47 PM   #62
Hitthespot

Funny came across this thread thinking if these people think their getting deals, I better educate them. Seems I'm not the only one with common sense. Our store is closing here in my neck of the woods. The sign out front today says up to 60% off. If true they should just about be at normal retail pricing.
Old July 19, 2017, 07:41 PM   #63
JoeSixpack

Stopped in one today cause I was in the area.
Honestly my first time in one.. They've always had a rep for high prices.
I did once buy some Rem9mm from them online several years ago that was a good deal but that's a rarity.

Sign outside says "going out of business, 70% off entire store"
Hmm, ok walking in I noticed the Now Hiring sign is still up.. rly?
They have a wall near the 1st register with department %'s off.. I actually didn't see anything more then 60% off, guns 30%.

It's a shame they're going out of business because the prices on some of their stuff is ALMOST competitive now.. almost.

They've pushed what's left of the store forward it's about 1/3rd full, A Big sign says last 11 days.

So I skip the fishing and clothing.. check out everything else with a slow pace.. hmm 1k 223 brass for 189, 50% off wow what a deal.

ammo is all gone, Except a few cases of winchester 12ga target loads I did not even bother to check the price on.

So I head over to the gun section.. er what's left of it.
let see some shotguns which I did not take the time to examine after seeing prices 1800+

a few AR's which looked like nothing special was priced around 900, can't imagine why those haven't moved yet

they had about a half dozen handguns left, Not counting the 2 and 1/2 display cases full of rough rider 22's
They only wanted 200 - 30% = 140, Can't imagine why someone hasn't come in and cleaned them out enmass yet.

Ya My first and last time in a GM.. I don't feel like I missed much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
The "soulless gun mall" ambiance I so dislike had become a "rundown and soulless gun mall" ambiance.
Oh ya, You nailed it.
Come to think of it might be a good chance for the walking dead to film some looted store scenes..

or kinda reminds me of a store after SHTF where no new stock is coming in.

"Hey pal what it'll be? gun 1, 2 or 3?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Mattress stores do it weekly it seems, going out of business sales, but really it's a store renaming event.
Ah so this must be a trick everywhere.
We had one store that went out of business for 3 years.. I almost stopped in to find out what the hell was taking them so long.

Finally they actually DID go out of business.. I was kinda shocked
Furniture stores are bad about it too, My sister went to buy a couch at one and it's weird it, it had a shady used car lot feel.
Old July 19, 2017, 11:12 PM   #64
brian33x51

The store by me is supposedly closing. I think just over 50 stores will stay open instead of 72 or something.

The liquidation company is still loading up the store with non gander items.

I was talking with the manager of the firearms section. They keep on getting new stock shipped in from other stores. A few weeks ago they had only 3 cases with pistols, today most of their cases were full, as are their rifle and shotgun racks. Prices are still too high...

I just bought a couple of snap caps on sale...I didn't realize you could use 270 caps in a 30-06 or 243 caps in a 308. A month ago I bought a magpul pistol grip for my AK for 11usd.
Old July 20, 2017, 12:08 AM   #65
JohnKSa
Staff

A couple of weeks ago I spent a couple of hours going through the entire store. Even with the big liquidation discounts, I was only able to find a very few things that were good deals. I left with a handful of N Cell batteries that ended up being about half price and a Frankford Arsenal stainless steel dial caliper for a little under $11.

They had a lot of ammo, but the discount on the ammo was small, 5% as I recall. The marked prices were so high that the discounts were essentially meaningless.

I tried to find the last day they would be open and figured I might swing by again to see if they had dropped the prices any more, but that information seems to be difficult to find.
Old July 20, 2017, 07:27 PM   #66
lamarw

Past by the one in Montgomery, Alabama today. Looks like it is finished, and the doors locked.
Old July 20, 2017, 07:40 PM   #67
FITASC

Mine that is staying open will still close for a bit for a remodel; meaning ALL of the fixtures, etc. will be up for sale. So if you need some display cases, shelving, etc., you might get a good deal.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 20, 2017, 11:52 PM   #68
JohnKSa
Staff

The fixtures at the local store are for sale but the prices were high enough that I was not tempted...
Old July 21, 2017, 02:28 AM   #69
JoeSixpack

At my store they wanted 100 dollars for the gun signs above the defunct firearms area.
300 dollars for a 2 tier display case, not sure if that's a good deal or not.

Maybe their fixture prices will come down on the last couple days, didn't look like they had sold much of it so far.. they was pushing it all together in the empty area of the store.
Old July 23, 2017, 09:11 PM   #70
scottycoyote

went in yesterday....had some good deals on clothes and certain items like shooting related etc but a lot of the prices were a joke. They must have marked it up 300% before they nocked 50% off
Old July 24, 2017, 12:19 AM   #71
brian33x51

liquidation companies are about smoke and mirrors. They want to fool you into thinking there's good deals to be had. I really don't like how this is being handled.
Old July 24, 2017, 10:02 AM   #72
Glenn E. Meyer

I never understood why some folks didn't comparison shop for gun. In San Antonio, a drive down one exit from Bass Pro to Academy will save you $40 on a handgun. Going to the gun show will save you more. For mags - on line or visit GT Distributors if you go to Austin.

I mentioned some poor dude drooling over an overpriced Benelli at the Gander 'sale'. Sad to say.

One thing, a touch off topic, that always bugged me. There is a good ol' boy, let's posture gun store in town. Lots of Har, Har, tough guy talk. It was near work so I might stop by. A soldier wanted to buy a Beretta 92 to have a duplicate of his duty M9. They were $50 more than Academy. Thieves - they might have given him a break.
Old July 29, 2017, 10:25 AM   #73
g.willikers

Whats going to happen with their Academy stores, the ones with the fancy shooting ranges?
Anyone know?
https://gandermtnacademy.gandermountain.com/
Old August 5, 2017, 07:29 PM   #74
OldScout

The GM I use is basically the same store. Just the name has been changed to protect the lousy expensive former GM. Wish I could say the new store has lower prices, but I haven't been able to find any. I did get a good deal at GM several years ago on a Mossberg .410 shotgun. Still got it. I have some nasty self defense mmo for it and some slugs that are rifled.
Old August 5, 2017, 07:55 PM   #75
FITASC

Quote:
Whats going to happen with their Academy stores, the ones with the fancy shooting ranges?
Anyone know?
I am sure they will close when the store closes.........My GM is staying open; there are some interesting rifles coming on for sale, including a bunch of Savage 99s.....