The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 1, 2016, 08:08 PM   #1
Rloba

New Guy wanting to Build a bolt action

Hey all, new member here. I've been searching the web for a few weeks looking for just the right rifle for the right price. I've come to the realization that what I was looking for is pretty much impossible to find. So, since this is the case, I figured I might just buy custom parts and spread the price out between a few months rather than shelling out "x amount" at a given time. However, this will be my first bolt action rifle and I haven't the slightest clue of all the parts that I'll need to order to end up with a finished rifle in the end. That's where you guys come in. I'm looking into a Cadex Defense Dual Strike chassis which includes the buttstock, rail, and all that jazz. If you guys would just do your best to help me out by listing out the parts and pieces that I need, you would be greatly appreciated.

I talked to the guys at Alberta Tactical Rifles and used their "build your own rifle" and they gave me a quote on the parts/assembly.
Here are the parts:
Stock/Chassis
Action
Barrel
Muzzle Brake
Trigger

Is this all I need? Are bolt action rifles really this simple? If so, I'd appreciate it if some of you guys could give me some assurance.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old June 1, 2016, 08:10 PM   #2
zoomie

Bottom metal - if desired and if not included with a chassis.
Magazines - can be more than chump change depending on type.
Old June 1, 2016, 08:11 PM   #3
Rloba

I saw that on there, but I wasn't too entirely sure what it was. Care to explain?
Old June 1, 2016, 08:13 PM   #4
zoomie

Bottom metal is what holds the magazine in place for proper feeding from the mag to the chamber. It's integral to the cadex chassis.

Lots of different makes and styles: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...tals/index.htm

Each is made for a certain magazine. Just do some googling - it's not that complex.
Old June 1, 2016, 08:15 PM   #5
Rloba

Got it, but if I'm not mistaken, the Cadex Dual Strike Chassis has an integrated mag well. From the pictures on their website, it sure looks so.
Old June 1, 2016, 08:16 PM   #6
zoomie

Yep. You said "stock/chassis." So if you go with the chassis, BM is n/a. If you go with a stock, it might not be.
Old June 1, 2016, 08:16 PM   #7
Rloba

Lol, just realized that I just reiterated exactly what you just said. Thanks for the help!
Old June 2, 2016, 05:48 AM   #8
fourbore

It appears Alberta tactical is building custom guns they are not selling DIY kits.

In general a bolt gun is not like an AR. I checked out the Alberta site. Let say you chose that chassis, with a 700 action and lilja barrel. The barrel requires a gun smith to install and head space.

You are looking at this right?

http://albertatacticalrifle.com/mode...le-build-sheet

This looks like a lot of money to me. You really cannot find a simpler way to get started in what ever it is you are looking to do? it appears alberta will build a complete gun to your exact needs 223 up to 50 bmg. And you are planning what caliber for what purpose?

You talked on the phone to Alberta? What did they say?

Let me be honest, I dont own a sniper type rifle and I never build a bolt gun from scratch. I am just asking a few questions to understand myself and hopefully help you out at the same time.

Your list does not include sighting equipment.

Last edited by fourbore; June 2, 2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old June 2, 2016, 10:24 AM   #9
emcon5

Damn that chassis is expensive.
Old June 2, 2016, 10:46 AM   #10
F. Guffey

http://www.cadexdefence.com/products...s/dual-strike/

f. guffey

There are events I have witnessed and or been involved in I can not talk about or discuss on a reloadiong forum, all had 'the moral of the story finishes'; this thread reminds me of one of those events/exchanges.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; June 2, 2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: change the word from it to in
Old June 2, 2016, 12:02 PM   #11
waveslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rloba View Post
Hey all, new member here. I've been searching the web for a few weeks looking for just the right rifle for the right price. I've come to the realization that what I was looking for is pretty much impossible to find. So, since this is the case, I figured I might just buy custom parts and spread the price out between a few months rather than shelling out "x amount" at a given time. However, this will be my first bolt action rifle and I haven't the slightest clue of all the parts that I'll need to order to end up with a finished rifle in the end. That's where you guys come in. I'm looking into a Cadex Defense Dual Strike chassis which includes the buttstock, rail, and all that jazz. If you guys would just do your best to help me out by listing out the parts and pieces that I need, you would be greatly appreciated.

I talked to the guys at Alberta Tactical Rifles and used their "build your own rifle" and they gave me a quote on the parts/assembly.
Here are the parts:
Stock/Chassis
Action
Barrel
Muzzle Brake
Trigger

Is this all I need? Are bolt action rifles really this simple? If so, I'd appreciate it if some of you guys could give me some assurance.

Thanks,
Ryan
I wold recommend going this route...

Buy a Tikka T3 lite rifle in .308. Get a used one of the cheapest you can find. We are throwing the barrel and stock away so don't worry, you just want the Tikka action.

Then we will get you a custom barrel in 6.5. My boys will spin it up to a 6.5 Creedmoor for you. If you want a brake, I like the Little Bastard Gen2 brake myself.

Then if you want to use your chassis go for it. I like the KRG chassis.

Then you will be good to go and will have a custom tack driver.

You will be out about 2K give or take 300 bucks.

PM if you have more questions

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old June 2, 2016, 12:33 PM   #12
g.willikers

Quote:
I haven't the slightest clue of all the parts that I'll need to order to end up with a finished rifle in the end.
What is your primary goal, just trying to save money, want to learn how to build a rifle, just 'cause?
There's a lot more involved than parts in building a rifle that's any better than even one of the low priced ones from a major manufacturer.
Reminds me of the guys who would bring in a huge box of expensive "high performance" engine parts that didn't belong in the same box together, let alone the same engine.
Building anything from scratch usually involves a long and hard won amount of knowledge.
But if you're dedicated, gotta' start somewhere.
So kudos for wanting to do this in the first place.

Last edited by g.willikers; June 2, 2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old June 2, 2016, 01:26 PM   #13
Rloba

This is to fourbore and others who might care to read (not sure how to quote on this website).

When I referred to talking to Alberta Tactical Rifles, I meant that we talked about them ordering the parts for me and assembling them up in Canada. It just seemed that their quote is way too expensive for the parts+labor. I would tell you guys how much their quote was, but I don't know if it will seem like I'm giving them a bad rap.

I think if I ordered the parts myself and took them to a local high reputation gunsmith, I might be better off. I'll spend a few more days trying to get some more quotes on assembly.
Old June 2, 2016, 01:46 PM   #14
taylorce1

From what I understand things are just more expensive up in Canada. The guy you talked to might have quoted you a reasonable price. Plus some things sometimes take a little more work.

A Remington 700 rifle cost about $400 for a donor action at Walmart. Then depending on the amount of action work you have done during the build process can run you $250 to over $650 extra to blueprint or true the action. Sometimes it is better off starting with a custom action for your build as it'll save money and time over a reworked commercial action.

If you want a rifle with a chassis instead of a traditional stock look at the Ruger Precision rifle. You can figure in the United States it'll cost about $1000 more to build a comparable rifle. You can figure $2000 US as a baseline price for a basic custom rifle with a quality synthetic stock and premium barrel built on a trued commercial action. Sure there are ways to build cheaper if you can do some of the work yourself, but I regularly get $1200-1400 into a Savage build putting it all together in my garage.
Old June 2, 2016, 03:20 PM   #15
Rloba

Well here's what I was thinking;
Chassis: Cadex Dual Strike
Action: Defiance Rebel w/o scope rail
Trigger: Calvin Elite or Jewell
Barrel: Krieger Heavy Bull Target(#10)
Muzzle Brake: Undecided

Scope will be bought shortly after the rifle is built.

I realize these parts are expensive, but the shop up in Alberta was going to charge $1800-2300 (this is just the labor charge, not including parts) to order the parts and assemble the gun. I think I'll take my business elsewhere.
I didn't want to say the price, but I thought it was so ridiculous that I had to say it.
Old June 2, 2016, 04:32 PM   #16
fourbore

Quote:
This is to fourbore and others who might care to read (not sure how to quote on this website).

When I referred to talking to Alberta Tactical Rifles, I meant that we talked about them ordering the parts for me and assembling them up in Canada. It just seemed that their quote is way too expensive for the parts+labor. I would tell you guys how much their quote was, but I don't know if it will seem like I'm giving them a bad rap.

I think if I ordered the parts myself and took them to a local high reputation gunsmith, I might be better off. I'll spend a few more days trying to get some more quotes on assembly.
I will listen and learn. Good luck and pls do come back and post your decisions and results. I agree that is a lot of labor. That is the internet for you.
Old June 2, 2016, 05:33 PM   #17
emcon5

Are you in Canada?
Old June 2, 2016, 06:54 PM   #18
Rloba

No, I'm in Texas. Just about as far away from Canada as you can get (in the US)
Old June 2, 2016, 07:20 PM   #19
emcon5

Just wondering the logistics of sending a rifle out of the country for gunsmithing. I looked at the cost involved in importing a rifle from Canada a while back, and the extra cost and hassle was substantial.

What are you planning on chambering this in? A brake may not be necessary.
Old June 2, 2016, 07:25 PM   #20
Rloba

I was not planning on shipping it up to Canada, I was just looking all over for quotes on building a rifle.
Plan is to chamber it in .338 Lapua Magnum, which can pack some punch.
Old June 3, 2016, 01:06 AM   #21
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rloba
I was not planning on shipping it up to Canada, I was just looking all over for quotes on building a rifle.
Plan is to chamber it in .338 Lapua Magnum, which can pack some punch.
Doesn't matter if you're not shipping to Canada, you'd still have to import it back from Canada. That sounds like a lot of extra hoops and money to me, it'll be much cheaper to find a builder in the lower 48.

Yes the .338 Lapua packs some punch, especially in the wallet! It's a cartridge/rifle that isn't even on my wish list. It would be cheaper to put together a .50 BMG bolt action single shot and shoot it than the .338 Lapua IMO.

If you really want the Lapua look at the Sako TRG.
Old June 3, 2016, 07:04 AM   #22
Mobuck

I don't understand why a "new driver" feels the need for a custom Corvette.
Buy a Savage and wear it out. THEN you'll know what you want in a rifle.
Old June 3, 2016, 10:17 AM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Rioba, briefly: What's your background in shooting and hunting? What's your anticipated primary use for a .338?
Old June 3, 2016, 10:46 AM   #24
Rloba

Personally, I don't want a $1,500 rifle that's running $4.00 ammo. I knew a custom build would be expensive going into this. I know you guys are trying to help, but this is not a "trying to save money" build. Not trying to be hostile, just trying to set things straight.

The .338 would be partially for targets but more so for hogs
Old June 3, 2016, 12:22 PM   #25
T. O'Heir

"...Damn that chassis is expensive..." Canada. Everything is about 100% higher than Stateside prices.
"...don't want a $1,500 rifle that's running $4.00 ammo..." .338 Lapua Magnum brass costs more than $4 a shot. Runs $395.00Cdn per 100 plus shipping and taxes from Hirsch Precision(Lapua's Canadian distributor). Loaded ammo runs over $130Cdn per 20 at Cabela's Canada.
You do not need a .338 anything for hogs anyway.

Tags
bolt action , build , cadex , need help