The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Road_Clam

LEE pro auto disc leaking powder (fixed w/pics)

OK, so I'm having a situation where my pro auto disc powder dispenser is spilling some powder. I took the unit completely apart and I can't see anything obviously wrong. I do have about 1/16" of free slop in the discs and I don't know if the discs are supposed to be sealed against the body or not. Those of you that have the double disc kit is there any play in the discs ? I can also see light between the top cover the to top of the disc so this is obviously where the powder is leaking out. There is a rubber sealing ring that is not contacting the top disc and I'm wondering if this is my problem ?

Last edited by Road_Clam; September 10, 2015 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Update !
Old September 8, 2015, 07:43 PM   #2
9miller

I would assume that the "elastomer wiper" not contacting the disk is your problem. I use the double disk when loading AR fodder and do not have a gap between the wiper and disks. I do have about a 1/16" play front to back as well. Seems as that's the norm with the disks.
Old September 9, 2015, 05:50 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Over time the wiper may degrade a bit, causing leaking. Mine is doing that right now especially with powdersl like AA 7, which is more like dust.

I keep meaning to try making a gasket or two out of various materials (paper, thick paper, plastic) to see if that cures the issue. If not, I'll try replacing the wiper.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 9, 2015, 03:55 PM   #4
wild willy

http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...easure-leaking
Old September 9, 2015, 05:29 PM   #5
std7mag

Road Clam,

I get some "leakage" with mine also, I got the upgrade kit. Seems to really only do it with my Ramshot True Blue, and other really small grain ball powders. Some of which really are like powder...
Old September 9, 2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Road_Clam

Wild Willy, that's exactly the mod I was thinking of. I also might take the base and mill about .010" off the top rails. This will basically achieve the same outcome as sanding down the risers. I think if I can get the disc to contact the rubber wiper i'll be all set. My base machining mod will also work if I only want to use a single disc setup for pistol charging.
Old September 10, 2015, 04:46 PM   #7
ddc

I sanded down the risers and it helped a lot. Not perfect but good enough for now.
Old September 10, 2015, 05:58 PM   #8
Road_Clam

Deleted, started a new thread.

Last edited by Road_Clam; September 10, 2015 at 06:57 PM.