The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 15, 2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Wheelie_Fan

Total Noob

Ok, so...

I'm reading up on reloading for 44 special and/or 44 mag. (Just picked up a new Mod. 69). I'm watching vids.... Looking at presses... Taking notes...

My big concern is... Looking at online suppliers, It doesn't look very easy to obtain the necessary components... powder especially.

Any suggestions?
Old October 16, 2014, 04:20 AM   #2
Jimro

The following is just my advice, so take it or leave it as you see fit.

Find a local store that sells Unique. I recommend it because there is a lot of data and you can use it in most pistol cartridges. You'll get a lot of loads out of a pound of Unique.

Reload 44 special level loads with it for a while, even the data for 44 magnum loads is really 44 special power level with Unique. Once you've worked through that pound of powder, and if you feel the need to step up to full magnum loads, then step up to a magnum pistol powder.

However, it is my experience that shooting is more enjoyable with 44 special level loads, but you may want to roll some hunting loads or something where Win296 would be more appropriate for a magnum load.

Jimro
Old October 16, 2014, 07:50 AM   #3
RKG

Sound advice.
Old October 16, 2014, 09:35 AM   #4
AllenJ

Getting supplies is tough but nothing like it was a year ago. Stay vigilant in your search, you'll find some. I've had good luck searching local shops for most components.
Old October 16, 2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Nick_C_S

Yes, a new loader starting out right now is in for a frustrating initiation. Shortages abound. Projectiles are abundant for the most part. Primers can be found, but are not ubiquitous as of yet. Powder - now that's a horse of a different color. Powder supplies are scarce. Oddly enough, IMR 4227 seems to be abundant, and it is an excellent powder for full-power 44 Mag rounds.

But I'm with Jimro's advice. Find some Unique if you can, or something similar (nothing is quite like Unique however - I guess its name is appropriate). Cut your teeth with 44 Special, gain some loading experience, then progress up to 44 Mags.

Quote:
Getting supplies is tough but nothing like it was a year ago.
From where I reside, the first half of that statement is true; the second half, not so much. It seems powder is harder to find right now then ever. Not discounting the statement at all, as I'm sure it varies from area to area.
Old October 16, 2014, 11:53 AM   #6
mikld

Good info so far. If you have trouble finding .44 Special brass, use .44 Magnum brass with Special loads. Unique is very good for this. Velocities listed will be higher because of the increased case capacity/lower pressure, but great for starters (I got my first .44 Magnum in '86 and had nuttin' but factory JHP ammo. Almost sold my 629, not really fond of numb hands after a shooting session ).

Ammo and primers are starting to show up here in the North West, but powders are still hard to find. I would recommend bookmarking a bunch of vendors and checking daily and some forums have an "availability" thread going for powders in stock. Check your reloading manual for useable powders and check availability daily.

Welcome to the wonderful, often frustrating, world of reloading...
Old October 16, 2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Sevens

Once you're knee-deep in to this hobby/lifestyle, you'll be able to spot these things a little better. All you need to get rolling is a pound or two of powder and that will make a lot of ammo.

I would wholeheartedly suggest that you skip the idea of finding .44 Special brass. Sure, it does exist, but there is exponentially more .44 Magnum brass available to be had. Also, while your loading dies can do both cartridges, you'll be doing large adjustments between them, so if it was me, I'd just stick to .44 Magnum brass.

For slugs, I'd find a commercial caster and buy 240 grain cast LSWC in bulk. I use Falcon bullets and they run extremely well for me. I have one load that returns 870 fps and it a pure pleasure to shoot and I have another load that does 1,385 and it's also enjoyable... but in a different way.
Old October 16, 2014, 12:58 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
It doesn't look very easy to obtain the necessary components... powder especially.
Gun show.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 16, 2014, 01:22 PM   #9
CWKahrFan

As lee n. field hinted above, I've been having success finding reasonably-priced powder at big gun shows where there are 4 or 5 vendors selling. You probably won't find the most popular items such as Unique because they'll sell out in the first couple hours. But SOME of the sellers are fairly knowledgeable about powder and can usually suggest decent alternatives.

There's a lot of great info on the company websites... Alliant, etc...
Old October 26, 2014, 10:29 AM   #10
Wheelie_Fan

Sorry for the late reply fellas, work has been taking up a load of time lately.

Thanks very much for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts. All good stuff. Much appreciated!
Old October 26, 2014, 10:41 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

I'll only add one thing you need to watch out for: The .44 Magnum case is longer than the special, but the SAAMI cartridge overall length (COL) is about the same for both cartridges (actually -0.005" for the Magnum; 1.610" Mag, 1.615" Special). This means that if you buy a bullet intended for the Special and that has a single crimp groove or cannelure positioned for that round, and load it into the magnum case and crimp into that groove or cannelure, you will get a cartridge 1.740" long. Some revolvers, like the Rugers, have cylinders long enough to accommodate that, but some don't. So check your gun first, then check the COL you get.

Some bullets have two crimp grooves or two cannelures so you use the one nearer the base for the Special and the one nearer the nose for the Magnum to get SAAMI COL's.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 26, 2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Wheelie_Fan

Good to know Unclenick.. I had seen a reference of that in another thread, but wasn't quite sure as to exactly what was meant and hadn't gotten around to asking yet. Your post really made it clear as to what to be aware of. Thanks!
Old October 26, 2014, 02:40 PM   #13
ddc

Quote:
The .44 Magnum case is longer than the special, but the SAAMI cartridge overall length (COL) is about the same for both cartridges (actually -0.005" for the Magnum; 1.610" Mag, 1.615" Special).
Hi Unclenick,
Doesn't this imply that once bullets are seated that the internal volume is almost identical for the special vs the mag and is in fact slightly smaller for the mag?
Thanks, Don.