The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2014, 02:11 PM   #1
smothron5

lyman acculine reloading press

hi I have a lyman acculine reloading press that I am trying to install, I am not sure how far back to install? doesn't look right if I go flush to counter edge, so it is obviouse it doesn't go flush to edge! anyone have one ? and how much room do you leave between where where it bolts down and the edge? ty
Old October 25, 2014, 03:15 PM   #2
g.willikers

Just put the handle all the way down and move the press back and forth, until the handle clears the edge of the bench.
Or mount the press on a substantial piece of wood, and C-clamp it to the bench where ever and when ever you want.
Old October 25, 2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking our advice

What G.Willikers said.

Experiment with the location of the press (with the handle in various positions throughout its range) to find a position that 1) provides clearance for the linkage and 2) gets the mounting hardware plenty of "bite" and bearing surface.

Alternative: Mount the press flush with the bench front and the trim out any places in the bench that give interference problems.

Did the press not come with a pattern/template to tell you where the mounting holes should be?

Lost Sheep

Read this thread and consider carefully the strength of the material you mount on.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=764073

Last edited by Lost Sheep; October 25, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old October 25, 2014, 04:28 PM   #4
smothron5

I know that this press comes with instructions on mounting, and maybe a template, what I did was put it on and moved forward until everything barely cleared, it did take some moving around but got it, ty all! couldn't wait til Monday and call lyman, need .308's for tomorrow lol