The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 22, 2017, 06:23 PM   #1
rjinga

PTR 91 GI Classic, rounds 81 - 140

After reading that the HK G3 and 91 zero at 30 & 200 meters when using the #2 rear sights, I tried to do the same thing with my PTR 91 GI Classic. I know that at least the first 20, maybe 40, rounds were the MEN ammunition. I'm sure that the last 20 rounds were PPU. I think my rifle shot better with the MEN ammunition. I was shooting off of a gun rest on a table with the iron sights. And, it was a blustery day.

I shot my first 20 rounds at a splatter target at 30 meters. I was trying to cover the red bulls-eye with the very top of the front post. I adjusted the windage and elevation after each five shots, and a few time within the five shots.

Here are the 1st five shots:

Here are the 2nd five shots:

Here are the 4th five shots (I forgot to take a photo of the 3rd set):

Next I fired nine (I lost count) shots at a 8.5x11 target at 30 meters:

Then I fired 10 shots at a scaled "dog" target at 25 yds. It is supposed to represent a full-size Army "D" target at 100 yds:

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old March 22, 2017, 06:24 PM   #2
rjinga

Cont.

Next was five shots at a 8.5x11 target at 50 yds. On my first shot I over-compensated downward. On the second shot I over-compensated too high. The last three rounds were in the middle:

And then five shots at a 8.5x11 target at 100 yds. The first photo is all five shots; the second is minus the flyer:

I used my last 10 shots on a Red Dawn target at 100 yds. The first photo is all 10 shots; the second is minus the two flyers:

As a further point of reference when reviewing the group extent rectangles, a small Post-it is a 2" square. And if you were counting rounds and are wondering what happen to the last round - it was in the bottom of my backpack.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old March 22, 2017, 07:41 PM   #3
Model12Win

Awesome.