The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2007, 04:12 PM   #1
ShootingNut

Lee Safety Prime Question

When we received our Lee Classic Turret from Kempf, it came with 2 primer arms. I assumed, the larger cup was for the Magnum primers to be used in our .357 cartridge reloading.
Today, priming some .357's, I noticed the magnum primer had all kinds of room in the cup, so it has me wondering.
To the eye, it looks as if the smaller arm/cup would fit the WSPM primers just fine (didn't try it though).
By chance, is the larger cup meant for rifle primers? Is the diameter of a
WSP and WSPM primer the same? Sorry, I didn't take the time to go on Winchester, maybe they have that information. Easier to turn to the very knowledgeable folks on TFL. Thanks in advance!
Old April 10, 2007, 04:31 PM   #2
RERICK

357 magnum uses small pistol primers.
Not all loads in a 357 use magnum primers. Check your load data as it should be noted whether to use a magnum or a regular primer.
The larger cup is meant for large primers whether they be rifle or pistol.
Old April 10, 2007, 04:48 PM   #3
rwilson452

primer size

There are two diameter sizes to primers large and small. the small pistol small pistol magnum and the small rifle primers are all the same diameter. The large pistol and rifle magnum or not are the same dia. Magnum has nothing to do with the size of the primer it has to do with how hot they load the primer.
Old April 10, 2007, 05:03 PM   #4
benedict1

Careful!

You must have the correct primer lever arm in the ram--

The lever arm with the large cup and the white Safety Primer trigger go together and are meant for LARGE pistol primers; they are for cases that take that size primer, i. e., .45 ACP.

The lever arm with the small cup and the black Safety Primer trigger go together and are meant for SMALL pistol primers; they are for cases that take that size primer, i. e., 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum.

As rwilson452 noted, primer diameter has nothing to do with whether it is rated as a magnum primer or not.

If you don't know what size primer a case takes I think you are in need of a good deal more study with some good reloading manuals. This is not an area for guessing!

Do not confuse those lever arms as you could cause some damage or, worse, a primer explosion. If you are trying to use the lever arm with the large cup to drive a small primer into a case that takes a small primer, and used enough force, you could really mess things up.
Old April 10, 2007, 06:51 PM   #5
ShootingNut

benedict1

Thank you, but really believe it or not, I'm not as dumb as you may think.
But, as as beginner when ordering a "Kit", and Kempf knew what I planned on loading (all calibers & dies ordered), I get the larger cupped arm. So, I assumed that the "big" cup was for (as per the loading charts) a "Magnum" primer.
So, I live and learn, but I don't just go off half cocked and do stupid things if I can help it. At least I keep my eyes open, and my mind working as best it can for an old fart.
Old April 11, 2007, 05:38 AM   #6
CrustyFN

Quote:
I assumed, the larger cup was for the Magnum primers to be used in our .357 cartridge reloading.
I don't think Benedict was saying you were dumb, he was trying to say it is not safe to assume.
Rusty