The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Kato_Guy

ready to shoot my 1st loads!

Ok I got two loads worked up a h-vmax starting with 25.4gr of h335 working up in .3gr increments and a 52gr hpbt match starting at 24.5gr of h335 working up in .2gr increments. both with wsr primers.

I am going to go and shoot them this weekend any suggestions or precautions I should take??

I was reading the lyman book and was a little worried that I might have seated the primers too deep or pushed them in too hard. they said to seat them 4 thousanths in how and the heck does a person measure this???

kyle
Old April 5, 2007, 09:22 PM   #2
rwilson452

loads

You don't mention what caliber your loading. assuming from the weight of the bullet I will assume something in a .224 dia bullet. this could be several including 22-250, 223 being rather common. as to the primers. if you seated them firmly without denting or distorting them you should be good to go if they are below flush. you can get a depth gauge to measure it. I have loaded 1000's perhaps 10,000's of rounds I have never bothered to accually measure it. I consider myself rather picky about my rifle loads. I would guess your loading for .223 but I would rather not guess before offering any comments about your loads.

I will say if your charges are within the published load values and measurements otherwise you should be good to go. dont worry about seating depth of the primer. IF the primer is not seated below the head of the case you do need to fix it first. If the primer is seated below the head of the case but not fully seated the worst that can happen is it will not go bang. the firing pin will have finished seating the primer and it will work next time.
Old April 5, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3
Gbro

If you are using the press for seating primers it is difficult to get the right feel, however if you are using a Lee priming tool there will be very few problems. if the case comes out of the tool its probably ok.
Good luck, and keep your powder dry.
Old April 5, 2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Shoney

I agree with rwilson452's post. Primer recess is more important in semi-autos where slamfire problems are more frequent. However, a high primer in bolt action can detonate.

For over 46 years I have used one of the most sensative depth gauges for examining primer height, and have never had a problem. My 1960 loading books said to run a finger over the bottom of a case. It will tell you if the primer is high, flush, or recessed with a great deal of accuracy. Although it will not give you those measurements in inches, it will be accurate enough.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 5, 2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Kato_Guy

Sorry I forgot to put that in there!!! Yes it is a 223.

I am using the lee hand prime tool.

I had a problem with the 52 gr hornady hpbt bullets when loading. It would never be the exact same depth as the first bullet I seated?? The noses of the bullets were slightly deformed as well?? I e-mailed the company and they said it was normal. I thought a match bullet was supposed to be helld at high standards??!!

I am pretty excited to try them but yet a little nervous. I just found some more of my once fired brass so I can finish working up my load for the vmax's before I go out there. It sounds likes great shooting weather!! It will be in the low 40's

Thanks
Kyle
Old April 5, 2007, 10:59 PM   #6
rwilson452

nervous?

If you weren't a little nervous I would be worried about you. It just means it's a new thing to you and you know the dangers of messing up. your smart enough to ask when you had doubts. I suspect after that first shot you will settle down some. try to control that smile on your face. better yet wait and inspect your target before the next shot. Get a firm grip on those butterflies in your gut and work on hitting the mark. I'll bet before your range time is over you will be thinking about the next batch you will be cooking up. remember to record everything.
Old April 5, 2007, 11:01 PM   #7
rwilson452

Lee hand tool

when you loaded those primers you should have been able to feel that primer bottom out. the movement would just stop. your good to go!