The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2007, 07:02 AM   #1
RERICK

Pull marks on milsurp bullets

Any one know a simple way to get rid of the pull marks on the 62 green tip heads ?
Old April 3, 2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Scorch

Shoot them and the marks will disappear.
Old April 3, 2007, 04:28 PM   #3
RERICK

Ya think ?
Old April 3, 2007, 08:08 PM   #4
layusn1

Well, I have begged and pleaded for advise on loading these, resizing these, anything to squeeze accuracy out of them and basically the answer I always get, from several forums, leads me to believe I will get exactly what I thought I would get when I bought them. Cheap plinking ammo that my daughter might be able to hit a clay with at 100 yards.

SOAPBOX WARNING: If thats all I get so be it. It really is what it is...there are VERY few good deals right now and I don't mind that because I think my shipmates and fellow members of the armed forces in the sand box need bullets much more than I do. I did decide to look at it as an opportunity...look at some of those calibers you might have been thinking about getting into. Put the 223 down for a while, things will cool off...or a gun hating democrat will take them from you anyway (just kidding), and give something new a try...243 Win?, .17, you never know what you might find out there...unless you already have them...in which case I will gladly store your .17 for you.
Old April 3, 2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Edward429451

The marks on my 62 gr milsurps all disappeared as soon as I shot them too. No, they're not match grade or being shot in HP matches but shooting clays size groups at 100 is useful too in practical ways.
Old April 4, 2007, 03:25 PM   #6
RERICK

Besides shooting them ( the obvious answer. You guys are so smart sometimes ) I noticed that when I crimped the round with the Lee FDC they kinda smoothed real nice and they were hardly noticeable at all. HMMM go figure.
Old April 4, 2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Edward429451

Just kiddin around. Since they're not match grade (and we're not snipers), they just aren't worth spending any time on. Remember Tom Berringer in Sniper sittin around takin the nicks off of his ammo with a file? Je might have had a good reason to for his trade.

I scab my Wife's old fingernail files and use them to take burrs off of brass heads sometimes. You could do that to your Milsurps if you're bored enough.
Old April 4, 2007, 06:55 PM   #8
RERICK

Oh I know you were kidding around . It gave me a little chuckle when I saw it. And I well duh ?