The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2007, 03:41 AM   #1
Dannyboy303

Brass case tumbler

Im looking to buy a brass tumbler, i used to just pay $10 to get 300rounds tumbled but i now see tumblers are only worth around $140 Australian.

Im looking at a Hornady M2 Vibratory Tumbler. What do you guys think of them? There is one for sale in a local gun store, well kind of local.. its 2hrs away compared to 6hrs which is the next decent sized town with a gunstore. The gunsmith there reckons that they're a good tumbler but i cant really say i take his word for it, as alot of people have said he'll say anything to get a sale. If not what is a good tumbler i could look at getting? Itd be great to get some info before i go for the drive and maybe find out its a piece of rubbish. Thanks in advance!
Old March 28, 2007, 05:23 AM   #2
rwilson452

Of the vibratory tumblers I have seen here in the states I have not seen a dimes worth of difference. Some have some sort of on/off switch some don't. then there is the various sizes. They all seem to be reliable. I haven't seen a Hornaday. the price seems a little steep but thats for here and your there. I have a lyman and it's been working for years.
Old March 28, 2007, 05:48 AM   #3
nass

I just picked up a Cabela's brand tumbler kit (came with 8lb of corn cob media and a bottle of polish) for 56 bucks. Has a clear lid for inspection, on/off switch on cord and plenty big. Supposed to do 300 30-06, or 600 38s at a time.

Not sure how it is to ship things over that way, but it may be worth a look.
Old March 28, 2007, 07:59 AM   #4
cdoc42

I have a Lyman that never had an on-off switch. Constantly pulling the plug from the wall bugged me so I simply put a switch on the unit. Then I wondered why they don't put a timer on these things. Ended up getting a separate 1-hour lab timer and I plug the tumbler into the timer. If I want to check things before the time is up, I just use the switch.

If one of these outfits incorporated a timer and a switch, they'd take over the market. Guess we'll have to wait for the Chinese to do it.

Last edited by cdoc42; March 28, 2007 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old March 28, 2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

Brass tumblers

Dannyboy303--Agree with RWilson--a brass tumbler is one of those items where they're all alike; buy the one you find a bargain on, they'll all work.

I like the idea of a timer for the tumbler, but I'd want that a separate unit, as it is "one more thing not to work" and would just up the price of the basic tumbler.

Bought a cheap tumbler (Berry's) myself and it has been quite satisfactory.

Before having a tumbler I wasted lots of time cleaning brass by hand--no more!

--Smokey Joe
Old March 28, 2007, 12:05 PM   #6
hivel37

I've been using a Hornady for about 4 years. Works OK. No switch. Still has the original load of Hornady media. As good as any in the price range, I guess.
Old March 31, 2007, 06:50 AM   #7
garbageman

I have a Midway tumbler, they are not called Frankford Arsenal. You can get the 220 Volt International with accessories for $ 83 US. Not sure if they ship overseas or not. May be worth the savings to check.
http://www.midwayusa.com/
Old April 4, 2007, 09:57 PM   #8
ahescock

Rcbs

RCBS makes a nice tumbler that is air cooled and comes with a media separator that attaches to the unit. Not sure if it is worth waiting for your "local" gun shop to get one in, but you should be able to find someone online willing to ship.
Old April 5, 2007, 06:29 AM   #9
Dannyboy303

Thanks all for the help! i just went and got a Lyman tumbler and its working fine. It has a big made in U.S.A stamp on it so it must be good hey

Last edited by Dannyboy303; April 5, 2007 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old April 5, 2007, 07:13 AM   #10
rwilson452

Lyman tumbler

What size tumbler?
Old April 8, 2007, 06:58 AM   #11
Dannyboy303

In reply to rwilson, its a Lyman turbo tumbler 1200 pro. Been using it for a few days now seems to be fine. Hate the fact it doesnt have a switch though, but that can be remedied, my bro is an electrician he'll put a timer and switch on for me
Old April 8, 2007, 11:25 AM   #12
rem33

Quote:
my bro is an electrician he'll put a timer and switch on for me
Just go buy a plug in timer, real cheap and work fine. $4 or $5 here. I first bought mine to have lights go on and off around the house when we are away from home, but they have a multitude of handy uses.