The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2007, 03:52 PM   #1
ShootingNut

Lee Classic Turret Owners

Not complaining about my Classic Press, just wondering if everyone else has noticed this, or is it just my setup? As you operate the turret, every now and then it doesn't seem to stop at the perfect alignment point. Once adjusted, it would seem as if it should be more exact and a little tighter (if you know what I mean). The rotation stops just seem a tad bit sloopy to me. As casings vary vertically in the shellholder, maybe it needs this to operate?
When your really cruising along, now and then the casing "hits hard" as it enters the decaping die, and then upon pressing the new primer in place.
You learn how to deal with these things, you tell me, is it "just the nature of the Beast?"
Anybody have owned and used both Lee and RCBS presses, that can say the extra money means a smoother operation?
Old March 27, 2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I really think it's something of the nature of the beast.

It uses a spring/ball detent to stop the turret at the proper point, but that design, by its very nature, means that it's not going to be as positive as a mechanical linkage type action.

One thing I've learned over the years is that operating the press SMOOTHLY and slowing down a little bit at the end of the downstroke is key in keeping this from happening.

I've also found that keeping dies in all of the die head stations is another good way of keeping the turret from skipping.

This worked well with my 3-hole Lee Turret (the old aluminum body one) and I suspect that it will also help with the Classic.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 27, 2007, 06:28 PM   #3
CrustyFN

My classic turret stops in the right place every time. Saying that I will have to agree that I have problems with the resizing die. I have to start the case by hand because there isn't much bevel on the die opening but after that the case flies through the rest of the dies very smooth.
Rusty
Old March 27, 2007, 06:59 PM   #4
benedict1

Shooting Nut--No, that is not the way it works. Make sure you have adjusted it properly by watching the Lee video for a 4-hole press at leeprecision.com

Secondly, as advised in the second post--operate the handle smoothly and do NOT bang it at the end of the stroke. It you accelerate too fast it can run by, especially if the turret is not quite aligned correctly.

CrustyFN--call Lee and send the die back. That is definitely not how it's supposed to work. Either it is off-center or the shell plate isn't quite right. Is the shell plate groove clean? If not, that can cause it to be off a bit.

The detent ball mechanism is designed to work with an output of about 200 rounds per hour or less, with no slamming of the press handle at the end of the stroke, as noted above. I find that holding firmly to the handle and not being sloppy with it makes a lot of difference. Seems to cut down on that last bit of acceleration as the turret rotates. I hold the ball in my palm, not in my fingers.
Old March 27, 2007, 07:23 PM   #5
ShootingNut

benedict1

Thanks,
You may be right, I will try and "smooth" it out, maybe I'm to harsh driving the ram on the upstroke? Try not to be, and I'm not seeing how many rounds I can do in an hour. I read some saying 200 per hour, I'm doing good to do 100 and that's keeping my mind on what I'm doing!
Seems as if 25 rounds go real smooth, then things are not dead center for 3 or 4 rounds, then back to business as usual.
My suggestion (who am I to even suggest) to Lee would be, how can you shorten up the stroke cycle. Seems like the handle travel to activate the ram is excessive. Now, maybe that's just old age creeping up on me?
Old March 27, 2007, 07:55 PM   #6
jdmick

If the ratcheting mechanism doesn't seem to be working right you may have broken the cheesy little plastic square inside. I broke one almost right away on mine. It may have been from a short stroke or some other cause of my own making but for the life of me I can't figure out why Lee didn't make this part out of something more durable. Especially since it's a fairly stout press otherwise. I've been told it's something of a "fuse" so it breaks instead of something else.

If you go too fast the inertia of the turret and dies will cause it to overtravel.

A couple of other things. CCI primers don't work well at all. Winchesters go in like butter in comparison.
I also have an RCBS Rockchucker which is a sturdier press but as you know it's much slower. I still use it for rifle though. I don't know if it really matters but the OAL will vary some with the turret because of the design but the Rockchucker stays put.
Old March 27, 2007, 07:58 PM   #7
ShootingNut

jdmick

Now you have my attention, what "cheesy" little plastic square thing.
When I got my "kit", along with the primers, there was this black plastic square piece, and I couldn't figure out what that was for.
Think I still have it, where does it go?
Old March 27, 2007, 08:07 PM   #8
jdmick

That's the spare they send you in anticipation of the original failing. I never found mine so I called Lee and they said to send the broken one to them. I did along with a note requesting a couple so I'd have a spare. A few days later I recieved two of them along with a bill for $5. Overall I like the press but their customer service sucks frankly.
Old March 27, 2007, 08:17 PM   #9
benedict1

Call back and complain about the $5--you should have gotten that free! Always claim that the part failed, not that you broke it.

They don't send an extra out with the Classic Turret Press--only with the old-style press. Why they stopped, I dunno'.

It is plastic for a sound engineering reason--it has to ride part way up the index rod at the right time. Anything heavier wouldn't work. Try to figure out how that indexing mechanism works and you'll see why it's plastic. It is a really clever design.

The only way you can screw it up is by short stroking the press. Finish the strokes and the thing will last a long, long time.

If it was metal and you short-stroked the press, you could break something much more expensive, like the housing it is in--
Old March 27, 2007, 08:20 PM   #10
benedict1

Quote:
My suggestion (who am I to even suggest) to Lee would be, how can you shorten up the stroke cycle. Seems like the handle travel to activate the ram is excessive. Now, maybe that's just old age creeping up on me?

You can shorten the cycle yourself--just make the handle shorter by loosening the keeper nut and move it where you want it. I have mine about half way down the operating lever, about at the bend area.

Know why that area is bent on the operating handle? To clear the Safety Prime if you have it set really long.

The cycle is long for a very good design reason--the press is also used to load long rifle brass; you need a long stroke and clearance for that. It is not just for 9mm Kurz!
Old March 27, 2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

On my old Lee Turret press (the one with the 3 hole station and aluminum body) I averaged about 5,000 rounds before the plastic thing would break.

I always kept a couple in stock.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 27, 2007, 11:33 PM   #12
cracked butt

I got an extra square with mine, I already needed to change it. If I have to order another, I'lljust order 10 of them- they couldn't cost much, and you are paying $5 shipping anyhow.

Mine seems to stop in the right place every time, though I have to adjust the timing whenever I change turrets.
Old March 28, 2007, 04:12 PM   #13
ShootingNut

Plastic Square

O.K., I must be dumber than a stump. Just went and looked again at my new
Lee Classic Press, where the heck does the little plastic square piece fit/go?
Can't see any now in place, assuming that this one was sent as a spare.
Old March 28, 2007, 06:39 PM   #14
benedict1

The index rod passes through a hole in an oblong plastic part that fits around the ram just under the shellholder. There is a Phillips head screw on the right. Carefully remove that screw and the part opens up. The turret should be off the press when doing this. The index rod should be removed too.

Inside the oblong part is the square plastic indexing gear--it fits into those two right angle slots--put the new one in--it helps to have a small pair of tweezers to hold it in place as you close the retainer part around the ram again. Tighten the Phillips head screw just enough to hold everything together--insert the index rod and place the turret back on the press. You should be good to go.

The square gear gets dinged up most often when someone tries to adjust the indexing to stop an over/underrun--YOU MUST HOLD THE INDEX ROD FIRMLY WITH A 1/4" WRENCH OR AN ADJUSTABLE WRENCH. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS AND TRY TO ROTATE THE TURRET YOU WILL DAMAGE THAT GEAR AGAIN.

I hope this helps.
Old March 28, 2007, 06:50 PM   #15
ShootingNut

benedict1

thanks so much, hey do you work for Lee Enterprises or what?
It's people like you that make the TFL so helpfull, thanks again!
Regards,
Old March 28, 2007, 06:55 PM   #16
benedict1

No, I am just a dedicated Lee equipment user--Classic Turret and Load Master. I load 5 calibers across the two machines. I started last June and spent a lot of time learning. I also inhabit 4 forums--The High Road; the 1911 forum; The Firing Line and Handloads.com I have learned much from many people.

If you haven't seen this link you must do it--it shows you how to set up your new turret press/Safety Prime system in detail, with many photos--

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ress/index.asp

It is great reading and I urge you to take a look now.
Old March 28, 2007, 08:19 PM   #17
ShootingNut

benedict1

Thanks again, will check the site out, looks very good!
Old March 30, 2007, 01:45 PM   #18
ShootingNut

benedict1

Having some problems, thought maybe you could help. The index rod all of a sudden, doesn't go through the plastic "collar" on the ram, smooth at all.
So, when replacing that small square plastic piece, does the thing set in with the small square side up or down. It's a real pecker just getting the thing in there and back on the ram!
Does Lee have any good pics, or drawings showing this replacement?
Well, back at it to see if I can figure things out.
Thanks in advance, if you can suggest a "trick of the trade" for me.
Old March 30, 2007, 02:15 PM   #19
benedict1

The flange side goes down--

If you are having trouble with the rod not being smooth something is wrong and you may have chopped up another gear--stop, take it apart and do the following:

Put one corner of the gear into one of the slots, holding the collar parallel to the floor. Then close the other side of the collar carefully so the gear seats into the other side slot. Look through the hole--you should see the square gear in place. If not you'll see it's off - kilter and you do it again.

Now, come from behind the ram and just open the collar barely enough to slip under the shell catcher and not drop the gear out of the slots. If you do it carefully you can look down in the hole for the index rod and you'll see the gear is still correctly seated. Put the Phillips head screw back in and then the index rod, place the turret and operate the handle to see if the turret indexes properly. If not, do the adjustment we have already discussed above.
Old March 30, 2007, 03:53 PM   #20
ShootingNut

benedict1

I got it all back together, now I'll have to see if the flange side is down.
Set up everything, and started to run some .38's, but my turret is sloppy and just plain doesn't stop in line with the dies as it should! If the flange is up
(with collar installed), could thank cause the erratic turret? I do the wrench on the rod, and turn the turret in place, but it doesn't seem to stay there, and wanders around and just goes out of timing.
I ran 500 rounds of .40's a week ago, no problem with the turret. This kind of gets to me just like a computer that is not working properly. Errrrr!
Thanks for your help!
Old March 30, 2007, 04:03 PM   #21
ShootingNut

Lees Instructions

Are just like 98% of products today, very generic and not exact at all.
No easy to follow drawings and verbage, what to do to solve a problem, or most times even to set something up!
Question, does his 2nd Addition book on "Handloading" really get into the Lee presses, with detailed instructions and pictures? Or is it mostly ballistics, etc.?
Thought maybe I should buy one.
Old March 30, 2007, 04:32 PM   #22
benedict1

No, the book does not.

I think you have that gear in upside down, or you jimmied it up because the rod was working "rough", I think you said.

I have done all I can do for you. Call Lee on Monday and ask for Dave or Pat and tell them where you are.

There is no reason why your press can't be set up right so it indexes properly. There is some basic piece of data missing from your reports and I can't figure it out. It is not that difficult.

One last thing--when you try to adjust the nut on the top of the index rod, is it all the way at the top, or bottom, of the threaded area on the rod? It should be about in the middle. Then you put the turret back on, hang onto the index rod with the ΒΌ" wrench so it won't move and rotate the turret until the dies line up with the shell holder. They don't have to line up exactly, the detent ball will guide the turret to the right place if it's close enough. This should work, unless of course, you damaged the gear again.

Don't ever put any force on that index rod without holding that sucker tightly with a wrench!

Last edited by benedict1; March 30, 2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Forgot a point.
Old March 31, 2007, 06:11 AM   #23
ShootingNut

benedict1

Sorry to be so overbearing on my problem. But I thank you for your help.
This morning I checked, I did have the flange down in the plastic body.
As I place it where I think it goes and close the body, holding it shut and then running the index rod through and turning it, I see that the gear just floats and moves all over the place. It's not supposed to remain in one spot as the rod turns?
Old March 31, 2007, 08:14 AM   #24
benedict1

Yes, the gear floats--that's why the thing works. It is a very clever design. When the operating handle is lowered and the ram goes up, the gear is pushed down away from the square corner slots and there is no force to make the rod turn. When the ram goes down, the gear slides up into those square grooves. lodges tightly and forces the index rod to turn. The gear must go up and down.

If I was sitting next to you I could have the thing adjusted in about 30 seconds. I am sorry you are having all this trouble.
Old March 31, 2007, 08:59 AM   #25
ShootingNut

benedict1

I wish you where here to fix it.
I was reading on the Lee site, in FAQ and read they want you to put some
30W oil on the edges of the turret. So I lightly oiled that, checked my plastic gear, set everything up and started to run some .38's.
Cranked out a half dozen cartridges, every thing going cool. Then, for no reason know to me, the turret runs to about mid die position.
That's when the rod came out, and I'm working single stage. Slower, and not what the machine was designed to do, but I can turn out a quality reload that way until I figure this out.
Thanks again for all your advice and help. Best Regards,