The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2013, 03:28 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

LIVE! From the Stand, Season 3!!!

Well, for some strange reason only understood by others afflicted with the same disease, I find myself up a tree... again.

This has been the most uneventful season in quite some time. I've spent 30+ hours in a tree and laid eyes on a single doe, possibly another at the same time. 2 deer all year.

I'm at the corner of the corn field near my uncle's house again. There aught to be more deer here than you could shake a stick at... but there ain't.

Old October 28, 2013, 04:36 PM   #27
shortwave

Could it be the yote population?
Old October 28, 2013, 04:48 PM   #28
ZeroJunk

There aren't as many here this year either. I know coyotes don't help. But, I found three dead within a couple of hundred yards of my house from hemorrhagic fever I presume.
Old October 28, 2013, 04:58 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortwave View Post
Could it be the yote population?
Shouldn't be here. There were a ton of yotes when my uncle first bought his house but he killed 16 off one bait pile and hasn't heard one one months. He saw the first one since late spring just the other day.

Our other spots, maybe.

Here, I think it was the unseasonably warm weather and now it's the. 100s of acres of standing corn nearby.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:15 PM   #30
shortwave

Quote:
There aren't as many here this year either. I know coyotes don't help. But, I found three dead within a couple of hundred yards of my house from hemorrhagic fever I presume.
Were they in or close to water Zerojunk?

Quote:
now it's the. 100s of acres of standing corn nearby
Could be Brian. There taking the corn off around here like crazy. Seems the more they take off the more deer we're seeing.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:04 PM   #31
ZeroJunk

Quote:
Were they in or close to water Zerojunk?
One was in the creek. I actually smelled him for a couple of days before I found where he was. The other two were not actually in the water, but within fifty feet. There were no signs of injury. I didn't see any deformation of the hooves, discoloration of the skin, or anything like that. They were not emaciated. Just dead. But, since I found them all pretty much at the same time it is hard to imagine what else it would be.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:25 PM   #32
SPEMack618

Brian, just to let you know, due to a promotion at work and the resulting move, my hunting has been severly curtailed.

I like to think that I can vicariously hunt through you.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:41 PM   #33
shortwave

Quote:
But, since I found them all pretty much at the same time it is hard to imagine what else it would be
Sounds like it!

Hopefully just a few infected.
Old October 30, 2013, 02:28 AM   #34
Keg

Good luck! Sounds like U can work on the yotes after season is over....
Old October 30, 2013, 07:42 AM   #35
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Brian, just to let you know, due to a promotion at work and the resulting move, my hunting has been severly curtailed.

I like to think that I can vicariously hunt through you.
The way my season is going, I'd hunt vicariously through someone else if I were you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
Good luck! Sounds like U can work on the yotes after season is over....
If like to but most of them are tough to hunt, given the property lines/conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortwave View Post

Could be Brian. There taking the corn off around here like crazy. Seems the more they take off the more deer we're seeing.

They must be growing some long life corn. Most everyone is cutting or done. This corn is still 50-75% green. We've now had at least 4-5 solid frosts. Hopefully it kills the corn off and they get it down.

The guy just cut the soybeans at our lease. That seems to have little effect for a few weeks, still plenty of leftovers.
Old November 1, 2013, 06:05 AM   #36
PawPaw

We've been watching this one in the game camera.

The season in the area he's moving doesn't start for two more weeks, but that's okay as he seems to be nocturnal. When the rut starts, his habits will change and we'll likely see more of him.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 1, 2013, 07:18 PM   #37
rdmallory

I have been watching a big one on a game camera too. Trouble is he only moves between 10:00pm and 2:00 am then vanishes.

Doug
Old November 1, 2013, 08:00 PM   #38
BumbleBug

Frustrated by game cameras...

It's deer hunting time in Texas again! I have a number of ranchers, friends & hunting buddies that start sending me their game camera pic's. This one was taken week before last at about 2:00 AM. This is from a huge ranch in South Texas. No one had ever seen this deer before, even though he is obviously mature & been around a while. The smart ones do get big!

..bug
Old November 2, 2013, 06:29 AM   #39
LOUD

Seen several nice ones just won't light enough to shoot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-11-02-07-24-33.jpg (97.1 KB, 49 views)
Old November 2, 2013, 08:31 AM   #40
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No luck, LOUD?
Old November 2, 2013, 04:27 PM   #41
LOUD

No luck today , by the time it was light enough to see they were all gone. I Had great luck last week in Wyoming , bagged a nice 4x5 mulie . took him at 315 yards with a 280 mauser that I put together myself. We drove 2000 miles to hunt for 30 minutes .
Old November 2, 2013, 10:52 PM   #42
stu925

Glad this thread is back it's one of my favorites. Season starts here 2 weeks from today and looks like I'll get to be live from the stand this year too since I went out and got one of them new fangled smart phones. I'll have to try a test run when I do some tree rat hunting before deer season opens.

Stu
Old November 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #43
Ole man 52

Our season comes in on the 9th of November. One week from yesterday. I have tons of pictures on my deer camera. Halloween night we had a storm come thru with 50 mile per hour winds. My hunting partner went there on Saturday to see if my hunting shack that was put up in August was still standing. It was, they laughed at me when I braced it in so many places, sure glad I did. I can't wait to get there to have fun with the friends and family. If I get a deer while I'm at it, as they say----- Priceless !
Old November 4, 2013, 03:17 PM   #44
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Ok. Back on our little 100 acre lease, the only place I know where the deer reliably come from one direction, east.

We've got a ESE wind so it should be perfect.

Rough season so far... has me hoping to SEE a deer, say nothing of shoot one.

Old November 4, 2013, 05:49 PM   #45
Kimber84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
Ok. Back on our little 100 acre lease, the only place I know where the deer reliably come from one direction, east.

We've got a ESE wind so it should be perfect.

Rough season so far... has me hoping to SEE a deer, say nothing of shoot one.

How's your guys deer population over there? Just curious.

I've been spoiled my whole life with Ohio's fairly good management of our herd.

It's interesting to know what others experiences are from state to state.
Old November 4, 2013, 07:20 PM   #46
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Skunked again

Our deer population is compartmentalized. In general, NYs deer "management" is and has been a dismal failure. The zones that dictate antler less permit use are much too large. They'll hand out almost unlimited permits in a zone because one end of the zone is literally infested to the point where trees can't grow before they're eaten but the other end has so few deer that seeing on is considered a success.

Unfortunately, most hunters are too greedy (or uneducated) to know/care how to help the population and they'll take every permit they can get and shoot every deer they see and then complain that there aren't any.

Areas near Ithaca/Cornell/Cayuga Heights/Lansing where we hunt have lots of deer. Although that's where our lease is and that's not working out so well.

This has been a strange and frustrating year.
Old November 4, 2013, 08:23 PM   #47
Kimber84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
Skunked again

Our deer population is compartmentalized. In general, NYs deer "management" is and has been a dismal failure. The zones that dictate antler less permit use are much too large. They'll hand out almost unlimited permits in a zone because one end of the zone is literally infested to the point where trees can't grow before they're eaten but the other end has so few deer that seeing on is considered a success.

Unfortunately, most hunters are too greedy (or uneducated) to know/care how to help the population and they'll take every permit they can get and shoot every deer they see and then complain that there aren't any.

Areas near Ithaca/Cornell/Cayuga Heights/Lansing where we hunt have lots of deer. Although that's where our lease is and that's not working out so well.

This has been a strange and frustrating year.
Interesting. While I would say Ohio is a pretty good success, considering hunter demographics and the overall diversity of terrain. The DNR had an epic failure in Fayette County down south of us. They grouped that county in with larger permit counties and all but wiped the herd out. I have some friends that hunted there and they said with the yote population compounded with liberal permits it created a mess.

That being said, Fayette county is more the exception than the norm. We have a pretty good, stable herd here and I'd give the ODNR good grades for what they've done.

Especially looking at the wild turkey population which has exploded in the last 10 years.

I always find it interesting to talk to other ppl and understand how just the management or lack thereof can have drastic effects on the quality of the herd.
Old November 4, 2013, 08:49 PM   #48
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Our turkey population has exploded too but I think it's habitat and relative lack of hunters more than anything. The real problem now is the coyotes. They are absolutely out of control.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:21 PM   #49
jimbob86

Quote:
The real problem now is the coyotes. They are absolutely out of control.
Somebody should do sumthin' 'bout that ......

Be Somebody.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:09 PM   #50
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
Somebody should do sumthin' 'bout that ......

Be Somebody.
I'd like to but I have neither the time nor equipment, say nothing of access to enough (or appropriate) land, besides that most of these places are 30+ miles from my home.

I know of some guys that hunt with dogs. I'm hoping to get them going over there.