The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2007, 05:10 PM   #26
Mactrekr

ok, ask a silly question........ but um, how bout just a general recipie for 115gr JHP 9mm? On the recommendation of a gun shop employee I bought a pound of blue dot.

Thanks for the advice,
Mac
Old April 7, 2007, 05:31 PM   #27
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

In 2000 I loaded every bullet size with most powders in overload work ups to see what happens.

There is allot of safety margin in 9mm, one can infer from risk averse corporations selling +P+ ammo.

That ammo does not even scratch the scratch the surface of the safety margin available with most brass and most pistols.

There are some bullet - powder combinations that can blow some parts out of the gun; extractor, extractor spring, extractor pin, magazine follower, magazine spring, magazine bottom plate, and hold open. Material from the powder, case, and primer can come back through the ejector slot in the slide and make bloody holes in the shooter "Major Face".
This is possible with AA#5, HS-6, 3N37 and 115 gr and heavier bullets.
It is harder to get in trouble [make enough powder fit] with the bulkier or slower powders like; Power Pistol, Bullseye, AA#9 [Enforcer, H108, WC820], H110 [W296], LIL'GUN, 2400, Blue Dot, LONGSHOT, 800X, Unique, SR7625, N105, STEEL, or Red Dot.

What does it all mean?
Don't turn the kids loose reloading 9mm with AA#5.
Old April 7, 2007, 08:59 PM   #28
jdmick

Quote:
how bout just a general recipie for 115gr JHP 9mm?
6.5g of Power Pistol works well with 115g.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:33 AM   #29
Mactrekr

So, what would be an average load of BlueDot powder? Maybe something comparable to a factory load?

Mac
Old April 9, 2007, 02:26 PM   #30
FM12

Try the excellent ZERO brand 115 gr JHPs. I've shot a million of them with 4.5-- 5.0 grains of Bullseye. The Zeros are priced pretty well. I love them, and so do my 9mm pistoles!
Old April 9, 2007, 04:48 PM   #31
CrustyFN

Quote:
So, what would be an average load of BlueDot powder? Maybe something comparable to a factory load?

Mac
Acording to Speer #13 7.7 to start and 8.5 max. You should start low and work up to see what works best in your gun. Personally I like 4 grains of Titegroup with Berry's plated.
Rusty
Old April 10, 2007, 02:43 PM   #32
Mactrekr

Great thanks for the info!

Mac