The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2007, 01:49 PM   #1
cptmclark

Best single stage press designs

I'm about to replace my RCBS Junior press that I've been using for decades. I suspect the ram is bent, and would like to try something else anyway. I'd appreciate advice on selecting the style. Three that seem to be contenders are the Forster Co-Ax, Redding Turret, and the RCBs Rock Chucker. Others may be better. Are the cantilevered turret presses rigid enough to maintain preciese alignment? All suggestions will be gratefully recieved.
Old April 7, 2007, 01:51 PM   #2
rwilson452

When I went shopping for a new single stage my answer was the Lee Classic Cast. it's heavy duty, built for 50BMG.

I have turned out very consistant ammo on the Lee turret. I hear the new Classic turret is even better. Like their older turret but all steel.

IT comes it 3 or 4 hole models
Old April 7, 2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Seven High

Would it be possible to send your RCBS junior back to the factory and have it rebuilt? It might be cheaper!
Old April 7, 2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Clark,
I have to vote for the RockChucker Supreme. This thing is HEAVY duty. I must disclose that I just bought it and am in the process of finishing building my reloading station so I haven't had the chance to use it yet. However, high recommendations were given to me about this press. Also, I used the Lee Challenger press for about a decade and was told the RCBS is a venerable upgrade. I think the advise given to me so far is solid.

Have you considered sending the Junior in for repair? Then you'd have a faithful backup...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 7, 2007, 04:16 PM   #5
VaFisher

Forster

Here is what I use for accurate rifle loads.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=265719

Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press

This single stage press features "Snap in and Snap out" die changing. Press also features dual floating guide rods for perfect alignment, a unique top mounted priming device and a spent primer catcher. The design of this press provides 3 times the mechanical advantage of an ordinary "C" press and easy operation for either right or left handed operation.

Press utilizes a unique shellholder jaw design that does not require standard shellholders. It has shellholder jaws that are self-actuating and open and close with the movement of the press handle. Standard jaws are included that fit the majority of standard calibers. Accepts standard 7/8 x 14 dies.
Old April 8, 2007, 08:37 AM   #6
rfdillon

+1 on the Lee Classic Cast press. Probably the best press for the dollar out there at this time.
Old April 8, 2007, 06:29 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

+1 for the Forster Co-Ax. Vastly superior design to any other single stage press out there.

Andy
Old April 8, 2007, 08:47 PM   #8
mrawesome22

I'm getting ready to buy a Lee turret. That way I can just buy a head for each cartridge I load and leave the dies in them all the time.
Old April 8, 2007, 09:17 PM   #9
amamnn

Forster co-ax hands down. No other benchtop press comes close.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:05 AM   #10
JoeHatley

A little over a year ago, I replaced my 25+ year old RCBS Reloaded Special with a Lee Classic Cast.

Very nice unit, that appears it will last for many years.

Joe
Old April 9, 2007, 02:34 PM   #11
FM12

+ another vote for the Forester Co-Ax...none finer. Atleast one of the Army marksmanship units loads on one of these. OUTSTANDING!! I've loaded a bazillion rounds since 1978 when I bought it second hand!