The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2007, 10:15 PM   #1
taybri

9mm case life

How many times can I load a 9mm case? I've been loading 4.2 grains of Titegroup behind a 124gr FMJ. Do I need to keep a strict count of reload cycles for 9mm brass? I have access to a police range where I get a lot of free brass. I've been loading the same batch of 1500 cases (+or-) for five months probably not exceeding 4 times each. I plan to just throw it all away when I go to the range next month and start with a new batch of once fired empties. I didn't think too much about this until I found a nicely split case in my ammo bucket.

What about .45 brass, how many reloads?

And on an unrelated topic, can anyone suggest a powder that will make good practice loads in both calibers? It would be nice to use one powder for both, and I'm falling out of love with Titegroup.
Old April 5, 2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Jaycolo

unique is good and universal is good for the 9mm and 45
Old April 5, 2007, 10:28 PM   #3
rwilson452

case life

Just shoot them until they break usually they will split at the mouth.

I have mil spec .45 brass I can hardly read the head stamp on. still going strong. I wouldn't ever think about doing this with my bottle neck rifle stuff. a totally different level of pressure.
Old April 5, 2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Shoney

For straight wall pistol cases, using lower pressure target loads, I stopped counting the number of times they are loaded, and stopped segregating brass by number of times loaded. I just shoot them til the case splits or looses it's ability to grip the bullet tightly. Over belling the brass is a major factor in premature brass fatigue.

For straight wall pistol cases, used for hunting or PD loads, where the velocities and pressures are higher, at or near max, I start with once fired and reload them no more than twice before they go into practice ammo.

For versitile powders, my preference is Longshot for highest velocity loads, and Universal for medium to high velocity. (I like Titewad for some cartridges for economical lower velocity practice loads.)
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 6, 2007, 12:11 PM   #5
BigJimP

I don't count how many times I reload them - but after I tumble them, I toss them if they're suspect looking at all.

Personally I like TiteGroup in all calibers - and I use it in 9mm, .40 , .45ACP, .38 spl , .357 mag and .44 mag I think it's clean and consistent - the only downside is it's a little more expensive than some other options. If you really don't like TiteGroup look at the load options for Unique.
Old April 7, 2007, 03:42 AM   #6
45auto45

Agree with whats said, I use mine till they split!!! I just got turned on to Tite Group and like how I can use it for most of the calibers I shoot. Unique is a good powder, but sure is dirty!!!!
Old April 7, 2007, 01:01 PM   #7
swmike

I load 9mm cases until they are either lost of split. I don't count the number of times I reload them.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old April 7, 2007, 03:37 PM   #8
HSMITH

9mm will last 15+ loadings with a reasonable load like the one listed. I don't like TiteGroup at all, but many do.

45 acp brass lasts virtually forever. 25+ loadings easily. A few will split here and there but the rest will just keep on ticking. If you can keep track of it long enough and afford to shoot enough to wear out 45 acp brass you have truly been fortunate!