The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2007, 07:08 PM   #1
sneaky pete

Rreduced loads for reduced range targets?

I live in the Keys,Fl, and the ranges down here are 100 yds max. The club I shoot with uses NRA reduced range targets ie: MR-31 A 600yd reduced target. Currently I'm reloading .223 W/25.5gr IMR 4895 in Win cases & 55gr. Hornady V-Max moly, and getting 3150FPS out of a 24" JP Enterprises upper with <1MOA. The other day I was talking to a friend with the US Army M.U. and he asked my why I needed so much velocity for 100 yds. He suggested that I reduce my load, still get the accuracy and save the wear & tare on my barrel. I recently got some Vagret for reloading my 6.5 Swed. Anyone care to suggest a reduced load using the IMR 4895 and/or the Vagret. OBTW I've got about 1000 bullets of the 55gr Hornady(above) so Ill be using them for some time. THANX---SNEAKY
Old April 5, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Hotdog1911

Sneakie...

Whenever I, God's Gift to Reloading, assemble a cartridge I try to always make it so it will fire & work reliably in any firearm of the same caliber. I don't like surprises so I try not to let any out either.

If your reloads are sub 1 moa at 100 yards I wouldn't sweat it.

My concearn is your choice of powder with the AR. I think 4895 might clog-up your gas tube a little quicker than a ball powder would on an AR. Garands & M1As -4895- no sweat. Heck, it's recommended.

"You shoot a what with that thing! Why, that's "Over-Kill!"
Answer, "There is no such thing as 'Over-Dead'.