The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Budman2

Single Powder for 12 & 20 shotshells?

Any ideas?

I'm looking for a single powder that I can use to reload both 20 and 12 gauge shotshells. My motivation is simpilcity and to some extent cost (thinking I can buy 4 or even 8 pounds at a time rather than a 1 pounder of each of "hienz 57" varieties).

I have a ton of WAA hulls. I'm looking for light recoil and a CLEAN burn for the semi's! My 20 will launch a 7/8's oz load and the 12's will send out an even 1 oz.

Whatchathing?
Old April 4, 2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

My first thought would be my standard -- Red Dot.

But I don't know if it's really suitable for 20 gauge or not.

I've burned a LOT of it over the years, though.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 4, 2007, 03:55 PM   #3
BigJimP

I like Hogdon powders

and there is a published load for 1oz 12ga with International powder - and there is also a load for the 20ga using International. So I think that is one you could use. Watch the pressures on 20 ga with International though - don't get them too hot.
Old April 4, 2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Shoney

PB and SR 7625 are the only ones I know of that will produce safe loads in both the 12 and 20 using AA hulls and 7/8 and 1 oz respectively.
http://www.imrpowder.com/data/shotshell/index.php

Hodgdon and Winchester do not list powders that are usable in both 12 and 20 at those weight loads.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 5, 2007, 01:43 PM   #5
HSMITH

Hodgdon International is the cleanest powder you will find for both, Super Field is also a good choice. Universal will work fine too.
Old April 5, 2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Budman2

Thanks Shoney

Thanks Shoney for the recommendation on the IMR "PB" powder. Indeed the specs on the web page look perfect. 1200fps in both loads will help to keep things consistent between guns, and the 21.5 and 16 grain charges sound like they should be pretty economical. Appreciate the help!
Old April 5, 2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Overhill

Green dot works well in both. Been using it for years.
Old April 5, 2007, 06:43 PM   #8
BigJimP

From the Hodgon reloading manual:

12ga WIN hulls ( Not WIN HS hulls ) for 1 oz loads lists loads for TiteWad, Clays, International and Titegroup ( Universal is not listed as a 12ga powder in their own manual ).

20ga WIN hulls ( not HS hulls ) 7/8 oz loads - Hodgon lists International, Universal and Longshot.

International is the only common Hodgon powder listed in the Hodgon manuals. I think you'll like International - but in 20ga loads it is pretty hot - and there were some reports of breaking 20ga tubes in a 12ga gun ( and you did not say if you have a "tubed" gun - with Briley or Kolar tubes for sub-gagues to fit into a 12 ga gun).

Pesonally, the cleanest burning powder I find in a 12ga is Hodgon Clays, in a 20ga I prefer International although Universal is very popular in a 20ga it's pretty dirty / in a 28ga I like Universal and in .410 I like Lil-Gun. In my handguns I use TiteGroup. But if you only want 1 powder for 12 and 20ga Hogdon International will do it ( not that Green Dot, Unique, etc won't as well - but I don't have any experience with those powders - I've stayed with Hodgon for the last 15 years or so in all gagues and been very happy).
Old April 5, 2007, 07:58 PM   #9
lockedcj7

+1 on Green Dot. 8lb jugs put it in the same cost range as titewad.