The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
ren219

Newbie question reloading 22-250

Hey all,
I have two questions for anyone willing to share some info.
I just started reloading 22-250 for target and varmint shooting.
My first question is regarding sizing the case. I'm reloading for two rifles, a Ruger No. 1 and a Remington SPS. Should I full length size every time or neck size? I understand the basics of reloading and I know that full length resizing will need to be performed every third or fourth reload. Keeping cases seperate for the two rifles is not a problem.
Second, after making a mistake and using a bullet puller, does the case or neck need to be resized before reloading or is it O.K. to charge and seat a bullet without doing anything else to the case?
Thanks to all for any help.
Old April 3, 2007, 04:34 AM   #2
rwilson452

Quote:
Newbie question reloading 22-250
Hey all,
I have two questions for anyone willing to share some info.
I just started reloading 22-250 for target and varmint shooting.
My first question is regarding sizing the case. I'm reloading for two rifles, a Ruger No. 1 and a Remington SPS. Should I full length size every time or neck size? I understand the basics of reloading and I know that full length resizing will need to be performed every third or fourth reload. Keeping cases seperate for the two rifles is not a problem
If you keep the cases for the two rifles separate you can neck size

Quote:
Second, after making a mistake and using a bullet puller, does the case or neck need to be resized before reloading or is it O.K. to charge and seat a bullet without doing anything else to the case?
I just reload them. Some people don't.

As a separate note, I find that COAL to be very critical for accuracy when loading for the 22-250
Old April 3, 2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I agree with only neck sizing most of the time if you are sure you can keep all the cases separated including when cleaning them.

For the second question, if you have seated a bullet in a case, you have stretched open the mouth of the case and it must be be resized (neck only) in order to have a tight and uniform grip on the new bullet.
Old April 3, 2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I have pulled bullets and seated another without neck sizing. Bullet pull was adequate and accuracy was good enough to get at least a rough zero with, although I would not shoot them for serious purposes like competition, hunting, or self defense.
Old April 3, 2007, 11:49 PM   #5
ren219

Thanks for the info guys, it's exactly what I was looking for.