The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 8, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Suppressed AR Upper Recommendations?

For the last couple of years my mom has given my sister and I a little bit of money as a gift for Christmas. So, now I'm playing around with the idea of getting a suppressed AR upper. Here's what I would like to have if possible:

an AR upper in either 9mm or 5.56 with an integral suppressor that gives me a 16" barrel/suppressor combo. I want to have the ability to take the baffles out of the suppressor for cleaning/replacement.

I figure this would save me $200 for a tax stamp for an SBR since I would only need to get it for the suppressor. I have never looked into any NFA items before, so, this is my first question as you may be able to tell.

Does what I want exist, and if so, what manufacturers offer the best quality?
Old November 8, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
scsov509

Quote:
I figure this would save me $200 for a tax stamp for an SBR since I would only need to get it for the suppressor. I have never looked into any NFA items before, so, this is my first question as you may be able to tell.

Does what I want exist, and if so, what manufacturers offer the best quality?
I looked into an integral suppressor for my 300 Blackout since we can't legally own SBR's here in Washington State , and in the end I decided it was more trouble than it was worth. To be legal the suppressor would have to be permanently attached so that the barrel meets the 16" requirement, which means with a serviceable can you're going to end up with a barrel longer than 16" anyway since the end cap and most of the body detach from the registered part so you can access the core.

So it can be done, but it's a pretty involved process and it certainly isn't cheap. I was looking specifically at a Liberty can, and supplying my own upper it was still going to be close to $1000 by the time all was said and done. So if I lived someplace where SBR's were legal then I'd just pay the $200 and go that route.
Old November 9, 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
jclayto

Have a look at the WAR Fighter adjustable receiver at www.innovativearms.com

This receiver allows you to adjust the gas system easily and supposedly helps out a lot in suppressed applications. To the best of my knowledge you are correct in your assumption of one tax stamp as long as the suppressor is integral and cannot be removed from the rifle. Innovative arms may be able to build you a suppressed upper on that receiver.

Let us know what you find out. I am interested to see what you choose.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Lawmaker

Keep in mind that the serviceable cans normally will not have as good as sound performance as a sealed can.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:41 AM   #5
scsov509

Quote:
Keep in mind that the serviceable cans normally will not have as good as sound performance as a sealed can.
I've heard this stated before, but haven't necessarily found it to be true in actual experience. We purchased a DB meter this summer and ran comparisons on several cans, and found that in some cases the serviceable cans were actually quieter (for example the sealed Osprey 9 we tested was louder than a full serviceable Octane 9 HD). Take a look at the sound testing and reviews section on Silencer Forum and you'll see several examples of the same findings. So it really just depends on the individual can.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:42 PM   #6
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsov509
I was looking specifically at a Liberty can, and supplying my own upper it was still going to be close to $1000 by the time all was said and done.
That's very neat, but expensive. If I compare it to good hearing protection, it's tough to justify the cost.
Old November 14, 2012, 04:00 PM   #7
CCCLVII

I was able to use a 458 socom my Mule deer hunt this year. It was not my gun but the owner was on the hunt with us. It suppressed pretty well and had a good amount of short range power.

In the end we never even saw a single deer but I did manage to shoot it as some mettle after the hunt was over.

We measured his loads at 1060 (or there about) This subsonic round has over 1000 foot pounds at 100 yards. Not bad for a subsonic bullet!
Old November 14, 2012, 06:07 PM   #8
scsov509

Quote:
That's very neat, but expensive. If I compare it to good hearing protection, it's tough to justify the cost.
Depends on your purposes really. I run all my home defense weapons suppressed because I don't anticipate having the time to hand out ear pro to my wife and children in a defensive situation. So the cost of a good suppressor is well worth it IMO when compared alone to the potential costs associated with hearing damage or loss to myself or family.
Old November 16, 2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Justice06RR

Are you limiting your options to 9mm/5.56 only, or are you open to other calibers?

If you're open to others, the 300Blackout is one of the better cartridges that can use both supersonic and subsonic ammunition reliably for suppressed/unsuppressed use. Knights Armament makes an excellent removable suppressor. But if you want to keep the total length to 16-inches you will have to pin the suppressor to the barrel. Otherwise you'd have to go NFA with the short barrel if you want the removal suppressor also.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:59 AM   #10
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsov509
Depends on your purposes really. I run all my home defense weapons suppressed because I don't anticipate having the time to hand out ear pro to my wife and children in a defensive situation. So the cost of a good suppressor is well worth it IMO when compared alone to the potential costs associated with hearing damage or loss to myself or family.
Indeed.